Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Sevach wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 18:50
Different setup philosophy responsible for the turnaround according to Leclerc.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/06/29/lec ... akthrough/
Haven’t read the article so I may have misunderstood; but how much we can attribute to the new setup philosophy, vs the track layout & conditions suiting the car; we cannot tell for sure.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Throughout the VER-VET battles and the VER-LEC battles, the turn 3 corner was a very interesting one for me. VER on the rear facing camera of VET was always taking a tighter line and kissing the apex of the corner whereas VET was running a lot wider off the apex. At first i thought it was a mistake but as the laps grew it became clear it was a line they were taking instead of the RBR line.

The corner is off camber iirc? Could that allude to the setup Ferrari is taking, perhaps benefiting more from avoiding the apex camber than the time lost by the line? LEC was doing the same too
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 07:10
Throughout the VER-VET battles and the VER-LEC battles, the turn 3 corner was a very interesting one for me. VER on the rear facing camera of VET was always taking a tighter line and kissing the apex of the corner whereas VET was running a lot wider off the apex. At first i thought it was a mistake but as the laps grew it became clear it was a line they were taking instead of the RBR line.

The corner is off camber iirc? Could that allude to the setup Ferrari is taking, perhaps benefiting more from avoiding the apex camber than the time lost by the line? LEC was doing the same too
You can see that Leclerc left about 1m off the apex on his pole lap too. As far as I can see the track actually dips in the apex, indeed it would seem that RBR is set up differently, perhaps with a more complient suspension. Maybe Ferrari has to run the rear end with a harder springs/dampers.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

timbo wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 08:08
raymondu999 wrote:

You can see that Leclerc left about 1m off the apex on his pole lap too. As far as I can see the track actually dips in the apex, indeed it would seem that RBR is set up differently, perhaps with a more complient suspension. Maybe Ferrari has to run the rear end with a harder springs/dampers.
The line that the Ferrari's take is the racing line, there is a crest on the apex so basically the track rises very quickly on the inside. So it is faster to not take the apex as it scrubs off speed and can cause under-steer. The red bull is known to handle curbs and bumps a little better, plus has a high rake meaning floor elements are further out of the way during large suspension movements or when the track isn't flat which reduces some risk.

mmred
mmred

Maplesoup wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 08:25
timbo wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 08:08
raymondu999 wrote:

The line that the Ferrari's take is the racing line, there is a crest on the apex so basically the track rises very quickly on the inside. So it is faster to not take the apex as it scrubs off speed and can cause under-steer. The red bull is known to handle curbs and bumps a little better, plus has a high rake meaning floor elements are further out of the way during large suspension movements or when the track isn't flat which reduces some risk.
I thinking it s a matter of saving the tyres and not having enough grip... Sharp trajectories are faster but tougher for tyre management

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

mmred wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 09:28
I thinking it s a matter of saving the tyres and not having enough grip... Sharp trajectories are faster but tougher for tyre management
So why would they miss the apex on a qualy lap....don't think you need to worry about tyre management on a qualy lap....

mmred
mmred

Well actually you do need to keep them fit to make a full lap at highest performance.... They can warm up too much and end before... I imagine that's the case... But Ferrari lost one tenth even from mercs there... I don't see it as a risk problem if everyone makes a different trajectory it means it s not that risky.... Just my idea anyway

Sevach
Sevach

Remember when we were discussing wether Ferrari needed more front downforce or a different suspension?
I believe the answer was(is) both.

They added downforce with a new FW and cleaning up better the area under the nose, so that's less of a problem now, the car was good on high speed corners.

But if you compare how Max and others were taking the tight corners vs Leclerc and Vettel(including Q) it was a stark difference.

Sevach
Sevach

Manfer
Manfer

Turning Vane # 2 on the diffuser has a different profile on the left and the right side.
The left side vane does not seem to have a cut out on the trailing edge lower section.
The bottom diffuser was the test item that "failed" in France.

CriXus
CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

falonso81

What is the difference here? 1 part engine cover?

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's tighter, joins lower down with less curvature.

amr
amr

falonso81 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 12:25
What is the difference here? 1 part engine cover?
And the shape of the engine cover. If the cuts for suspension travels are different it means that either the suspension travel is different or the surface shape of the engine cover is different. We will get a better picture from behind. Having said that, the end bit of the engine cover changes frequently because that is one way the teams changes the cooling level. I presume that having the engine cover as one part it will give less flexibility in choosing the cooling level.

ScrewCaptain27

First look at the electronics placement in the left sidepod. They are cooled by a duct inside the sidepod and normally hidden by a carbon cover:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian