Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

MtthsMlw wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 03:20
Who needs a blown wheel nut when you can have a blown wheel hub?
More like who needs outwash end plates? 8)
For Sure!!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

BwajSF
BwajSF

A Very Huge Salute to the Engineer's brain that was able to imagine stuffs like this wheel hub,... it more like a piece of Master piece art work than a wheel hub.. Love it..

zioture
zioture

Mr.G

Sorry, what I should focus on? Any help, any one? Thanks.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

outsid3r

Mr.G wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:20
I think its the outlets... they are considerably bigger

BwajSF
BwajSF

Mr.G wrote:
Only difference i could see is that the cooling is a little more open than in barcelona which is understandable based on Temps Compared to Barcelona.

Mr.G

outsid3r wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:25
Mr.G wrote:
I think its the outlets... they are considerably bigger
Thanks, the angle is quite different and I wasn't sure...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

djones
djones

The bottom part of this article is very interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47527705

Not sure how much the author knows, but what he is saying does seem to make some sense.

gandharva

djones wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 13:06

Not sure how much the author knows, but what he is saying does seem to make some sense.
Old soup warmed up. This is exactly what Newey said weeks ago at the beginning of testing. "RBR/Merc frontwing concepts have more long term potential."

LM10
LM10

gandharva wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 13:21
djones wrote:

Old soup warmed up. This is exactly what Newey said weeks ago at the beginning of testing. "RBR/Merc frontwing concepts have more long term potential."
Did Newey tell this for the RB15 or generally? Can it even be suggested as a general fact? Every car design is different. Ferrari and others with this style of FW might have compared both concepts and probably also thought of potentials and further development.
The SF90 didn't change massively concept wise. So they might have seen benefits of such a FW over the more traditional one. That's why they put it on. Wether they're gonna be able to develop it in regards of putting downforce on the front, we will see. They, for now, seem to have managed it. Otherwise they would have already witnessed front to rear balance problems. The bargeboard area still looks quite neat.

gandharva

The "secret aerodynamicist":
The Ferrari approach is more loaded in the middle of the wing and quite unloaded at the tips - on the wing, you can see that the highest point of the flaps is at their inside edge, and they slope downwards towards the outside of the car.

This draws air towards the centre and results in an 'in-washing' air flow.
This conclusion is so wrong. It hurts.

mantikos
mantikos

gandharva wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 16:02
The "secret aerodynamicist":
The Ferrari approach is more loaded in the middle of the wing and quite unloaded at the tips - on the wing, you can see that the highest point of the flaps is at their inside edge, and they slope downwards towards the outside of the car.

This draws air towards the centre and results in an 'in-washing' air flow.
This conclusion is so wrong. It hurts.
He's not suggesting its an inwash, he's just suggesting that the disturbed flow over the FW is going inboard of the tires whereas on the Merc/RB concept its directed more outwards. Remember, he's trying to generalize and simplify the discussion for mass consumption, its stupid-proofed, and therefore not word precise for the armchair aero experts here.

munudeges
munudeges

gandharva wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 13:21
djones wrote:

Not necessarily. It hasn't been entirely clear which direction is the right one to go in. What Mercedes and Red Bull are doing probably has more potential, because they have more area to work with, but it's a question of can they manage the nasty airflow around the front tyres.

Alfa have gone full beans in the opposite direction so their development should prove pretty interesting, but the problem with Ferrari is they seem a little betwixt and between.

djones
djones

My gut instinct says for Mercedes and Red Bull (i.e. Adrian Newey) to have both got it wrong with their concept is just not happening.

Ferrari have made a gamble I think. Will it work? Literally no idea.