Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
netoperek

Re: Williams FW42

Post by netoperek » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:26 am

Holm86 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 am
Blaze1 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am
Awesome picture of that impressive radiator/intercooler design. I think I posted a question here a few years ago asking why the radiator's aren't curved to help with packaging and I was told (If I remember correctly) that it couldn't be done, due to manufacturing and or design difficulties.
Im wondering when they'll start 3d printing the radiators, to make even more extreme shapes :D
But maybe you can't really 3d print aluminium ....
You can print aluminum but the results aren't that good. There are other lightweight materials that could be used though. 3D printed radiators would make a ton of sense due to natural surface roughness of 3d printed models. It could also potentially be even cheaper than traditional manufacturing.

Holm86

Post by Holm86 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 am

netoperek wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:26 am
Holm86 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 am
Blaze1 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am
Awesome picture of that impressive radiator/intercooler design. I think I posted a question here a few years ago asking why the radiator's aren't curved to help with packaging and I was told (If I remember correctly) that it couldn't be done, due to manufacturing and or design difficulties.
Im wondering when they'll start 3d printing the radiators, to make even more extreme shapes :D
But maybe you can't really 3d print aluminium ....
You can print aluminum but the results aren't that good. There are other lightweight materials that could be used though. 3D printed radiators would make a ton of sense due to natural surface roughness of 3d printed models. It could also potentially be even cheaper than traditional manufacturing.
I wasnt thinking about it having to be light weight, because I know you can print titanium pretty well.
But you need a material with good heat transfer, thats why they use aluminium

ScrewCaptain27

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:23 pm

New bargeboards and floor:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Tattoo-

Post by Tattoo- » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:14 pm

from AMuS

new:

old:

new:

old:

"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm

I think after 2 years of harping on about it, the chicken wing device on the bargeboard seems to be the way to go. Every team is headed in that direction or pushing it further.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Ashwinv16

Post by Ashwinv16 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:05 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm
I think after 2 years of harping on about it, the chicken wing device on the bargeboard seems to be the way to go. Every team is headed in that direction or pushing it further.
It simply act as a guide to the disrupted flow coming from the front tyre wake, and the vortex from the front wing tips (Which itself is guided by the turning vanes and the cape under the nosecone). This part helps to smooth the flow out thus the sidepod turning vane can better guide them around the side pods for flow attachments purposes(Reducing drag and aero instability). At the same time they guide the flow onto the floor and to the new longitudinal slot openings that basically allows for the air to flow under the outer edge of the floor creating a virtual curtain that seals the gap between the leading edges of the floor and the ground so that the air flowing under the floor does not escape through the side thus helping improve the efficiency of the diffuser as well.

Thus of course all teams need to explore this device as it has huge benefits considering the only problem being rigidity, drag and weight.
Halo not as bad as we thought

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Ashwinv16 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:05 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm
It simply act as a guide to the disrupted flow coming from the front tyre wake, and the vortex from the front wing tips (Which itself is guided by the turning vanes and the cape under the nosecone). This part helps to smooth the flow out thus the sidepod turning vane can better guide them around the side pods for flow attachments purposes(Reducing drag and aero instability). At the same time they guide the flow onto the floor and to the new longitudinal slot openings that basically allows for the air to flow under the outer edge of the floor creating a virtual curtain that seals the gap between the leading edges of the floor and the ground so that the air flowing under the floor does not escape through the side thus helping improve the efficiency of the diffuser as well.

Thus of course all teams need to explore this device as it has huge benefits considering the only problem being rigidity, drag and weight.
It also has the added benefit of being very close to the ground, and a high rake concept will move this device further away from the ground. Thus finding the right pitch for the device has a huge influence on the rest of the car aero. Seeing as how that's partially determined by the tub, I could see why chassis modifications would be needed to get the most out of it.

I think you make an excellent point regarding not only the geometry but the physical properties of the "chicken wing". As I stated it's very close to the ground and controlled deformation could change it's aero properties at different speeds. At the same time one has to be careful to not make them too flimsy or they could stall or worse break off.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Cuky

Post by Cuky » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 am

Is it only me or the engine cover has different shape to it as well?

Tattoo-

Post by Tattoo- » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 am

Cuky wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 am
Jup, engine cover (exit) is different and is now more shrink-wrapped. =D>

"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

Just_a_fan

Post by Just_a_fan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:23 pm

Looks like Williams have borrowed Mercedes's body moulds. :lol: =D>
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Cuky

Post by Cuky » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:45 am

Tattoo- wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 am
Cuky wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:58 am
Jup, engine cover (exit) is different and is now more shrink-wrapped. =D>

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 718-10.jpg
Not only that but the part where it says "Rexona" seems to be more sculpted and tightly wrapped too

LuisFeF1

Post by LuisFeF1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:51 pm

New rear wing endplate:

LuisFeF1

Post by LuisFeF1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 pm

New diffuser:

Morteza

Post by Morteza » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm

AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian