Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
etusch

Re: Red Bull RB15

NL_Fer wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 07:40
rebel wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 17:42
Its just a feeling. But I think the Honda engine caught Red Bull a bit off-guard.

Reel back to 2018... last year McLaren got on the wrong foot designing a chassis for an engine that performed different ( much worse....) then promised.

This year RB looks to go through the same experience designing a chassis for an engine that performed different (much better....) then promised.

In both cases adjustments are needed to understand and optimize the whole package.
Looks to me RB is doing a 'quicker' job compared to McLaren. First of all by starting of at a higher level, and secondly by bringing in adjustments (finetuning and fixes) at a faster rate.

Yes maybe they have to play catch-up. But at this rate I'd expect them to be on the podium again when we're in Shanghai.

What it also shows me is that McLaren en Red Bull have the ability to design a very good chassis.
...and in contrast Renault shows again it lacks the ability to design a top performing chassis. (And i'm leaving engine talk out..).
I think the problems ARE comparable between the RB15 en ‘18 MCL. Good racepace, but lacking rear traction to give that extra push during fast laps.

But maybe is it not being suprized by (no) power. Maybe it is just the differance in size, shape, cog, etc. They pu’s are just so different, i’m not suprized the designers need more time to fit it perfectly and in balance with the rest.

McLaren has found it this year. Their rear was fenominal in Bahrain. Let’s hope Redbull can do it quicker.
Toro Rosso also performed very different from race to race last year. You may right about it. But Redbull's situation is a bit different because of data they got by sister team. We just saw only 2 races by now.
Hope they will sort it out fast. If they are just clear from b series it is not enough. Redbull must fight for wcc/ Wdc with this package.

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 05:15
gandharva wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 20:05
This wing is not new at all. It was already used at race weekend. All they did is back to back aero tests.
If going by the image, I believe you.
Looked the same for me too, but that was the image used in the article.

Now I am confused. Is it not true what Giorgio Piola says?

"The completely new front wing has aroused some curiosity, which also shows how the technical staff of Adrian Newey is voting for a gradual change in the aerodynamic philosophy."

Or did he only not see that this frontwing was already used? When was it used, in which race?
The Power of Dreams!

gandharva

That wing was introduced on friday and raced on sunday in Bahrain. The old one was used in Melbourne and during testing.

Wouter

gandharva wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 09:26
That wing was introduced on friday and raced on sunday in Bahrain. The old one was used in Melbourne and during testing.
Thanks for this information Gandharva.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

https://www.formule1.nl/nieuws/marko-ge ... t-updates/

A wild rumor in the paddock in Bahrain: Red Bull would secretly design a completely new car. Stupid, according to CEO Helmut Marko, although they are working hard on aerodynamic improvements. The first package must arrive in China, the next in Spain.

"There will be no new car", Marko leaves no doubt about it FORMULA 1. A different concept is being worked on - according to Max Verstappen, the front wing in particular is a point of attention. Because, as Marko acknowledges: “We have an aerodynamic problem. That is "in the chassis."

That solution is not the work of a week, Marko admits. The first package of updates is coming next week, in China, for the necessary aerodynamic adjustments for the RB15 is waiting until the first European race, mid-May in Spain.

Red Bull is really looking for the fault in itself, it is not the fault of engine supplier Honda, says Verstappen. “Honda is doing a good job. Nothing breaks. We can't say anything about that. We ourselves are wrong in terms of balance. "In short:" It must be better, we lack pure speed. "

However, Verstappen is "confident that the response is quick" at the design tables in the design office and at the factory, where, according to Marko, top designer Adrian Newey, his platoon of engineers and the wind tunnel are already working overtime.
The Power of Dreams!

hollus

A few posts about the effect of engines, data from sister teams and speculation about future pace have been moved to the team thread.

What belongs and does not belong in this thread is clearly explained in the opening post.
Rivals, not enemies.

lio007

On another forum a, supposed, team member is posting from time to time. If it's a credible source, I don't know. But his comments are pretty sensible:
Not to make excuses but over the last few years we’ve been used to trimming downforce off the car to help the PU perform more effectively. Now we have a more powerful and certainly more drivable engine we have a chance to add aero performance. Which we’ll be doing in race 5.

Honestly, we thought we’d be closer at this point and we’re not. That’s cool though, it’s why we love this sport. Combine that with a seemingly more condensed midfield and it goes some way to showing why Pierre has looked less than awesome thus far.
Do you think you can change the aero ethos of an entire car between winter testing and the start of the season? Yes the engine power/performance was evident in Barcelona but we then had to go racing less than a month from then. Not only is there the logistic side of getting 2 fully built F1 cars plus spares to the other side of the planet but you're actually still manufacturing those parts up to the Friday before the Melbourne race weekend. As soon as we went testing we knew we needed down force on the car and since then CFD and design have been modifying our entire package. That, in turn, will be ready to run at Race 5 and hopefully then we'll be a lot closer to the front and the front won't have galloped away in to the sunset.
we know where our problems are and we're in the process of improving them. We're confident in our development enough to make gains on the others, let's see if it works out that way.
It could be mechanical grip issues, sure. But i think it's more likely rear downforce at the moment.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I doubt that it is a credible source. At best, it's someone near the team who is not really in the loop and only passes along the party line (which is positive toward Honda).

I cannot understand by what logic can a car that is fast in the corners and slow on straights, like RB15 is, how that car is supposed to have low downforce and lot of power from the engine. Logical conclusion would be quite the opposite, that RB15 has lower power and more downforce.

ringo

I think the idea that they're used to taking downforce off the car with the renault, and now they have more power.. is hogwash.
Redbull always had superior downforce, even last year, and this is why the car performed so well on the tyres in the last set of races.
What would have happened this year is to continue with the same levels and simply embrace having more power.

The car's problems seem to be the operating window for the tyres; this may be pointing to suspension design and how it reacts to the down-force of the car. That's my guess at least. I don't think they have a fundamental problem. They may just need to do some tuning, and make some floor, winglet, or turning vane changes.
For Sure!!

toraabe
toraabe

Since they both were talking about wheel spin and loose rear, it could just be the Honda engine has much more grunt and tourqe out of the corners ( flat tourqe curve ) than the Renault engine had last year, so they are just overloading the tyres. What I assume

DutchDopey
DutchDopey

ringo wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 02:57
I think the idea that they're used to taking downforce off the car with the renault, and now they have more power.. is hogwash.
Redbull always had superior downforce, even last year, and this is why the car performed so well on the tyres in the last set of races.
I don't think this is correct. More downforce would normally increase tyre wear, there are probably exceptions. RB always had less downforce to increase the top speed.

wesley123
wesley123

DutchDopey wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 10:06
More downforce would normally increase tyre wear
Why? With less downforce the car generally ends up sliding more, which is worse to tire wear than a force the tire was designed to take.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

DiogoBrand

wesley123 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:04
DutchDopey wrote:
Why? With less downforce the car generally ends up sliding more, which is worse to tire wear than a force the tire was designed to take.
More downforce will also increase cornering speeds and the load on the tyres.
Considering that formula one cars are not made to slide, more downforce should mean more tyre wear.

kasio
kasio

DiogoBrand wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:51
wesley123 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:04
DutchDopey wrote:
More downforce will also increase cornering speeds and the load on the tyres.
Considering that formula one cars are not made to slide, more downforce should mean more tyre wear.
there has been several times from teams, that less downforce is more tyre wear. but generally i guess it is not that simple it must be considered also understeer or oversteer. as about countering your argument about cornering speeds - less cornerspeed more breaking :-) whatever. we can believe what we want.

PhillipM
PhillipM

All f1 cars slide, you can't generate grip without sliding...

And to that extent, making it simplistic, less surface slip and more twist in the carcass = less heat = less wear for a given pace, until you start to saturate the tyres anyway. Basically, more downforce = generally less tyre wear.