Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Red Bull RB15

Godius wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 17:27
ME4ME wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 23:37
Qualifying pictures:
Verstappen with the new front wing according to AMuS' speculation:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 308-30.jpg

Gasly:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 250-32.jpg

Verstappen:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 413-33.jpg

Gasly:
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 240-38.jpg

Source: Racefans.net

EDIT: Some differences in flap geometry in the y250 area. The new one being more pointy. Old one below.
https://ibb.co/YQkhfVc
On the Dutch TV-coverage Doornbos made a remark that the new front wing is definitely generating more downforce. So much df that he believes it was a contributing factor on why Verstappen lost the rear in FP2 (last turn). So with the right setup and driver talent the car can come alive. He also made a comment about tweaks in the bargeboard area but those must have been really tiny tweaks.
One of those lower barge boards elements has been reshaped (one of those that is in Black, not even bluepurple). Pics were posted, I believe in this very same topic.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

I have a theory concerning these engine modes. These modes exist first and foremost to render the torque/power output to be controllable/useable/race-able and without them, these cars would be much slower than what we see at present.
So! In preparation to Austria, the Honda, Newey, Honda Aerospace combination seem to have agreed upon a very basic and rather Heath Robinson addition. I don’t want to disclose exactly what that may/could have been but without a teraflop capable super computer the addition is highly unlikely to pull-off another win elsewhere. That isn’t saying that another win isn’t possible as it could happen but Austria is a very unique track.
The win itself has to have been down to ninety-five-percent Verstappen assisted by all concerned being on the right track, as I fancy that that can now be said. Consequently if they scratch their heads further as to what they dreamt up for Austria, Honda will undoubtedly reinvent the wheel!
Now! The Heath Robinson affair. Engine eleven, as it was conveyed to their driver, to my line of thinking has to be engine mode one ‘point’ one and is simply a copy of engine mode one that lacks launch setting. So if we couple the inherently aggressive nature of that mode, which Verstappen handled ably at Monaco, being stuck as he was in mode twelve (a combination of modes one and two.), to the Heath Robinson addition of Austria it makes mode one, especially late race, a feasible arrangement. Hence the ninety-five-percent down to Max Verstappen.
If I’m right? It was a very impressive display of his ability to quickly adjust to any given situation and the only driver I can think of with that kind of racing ingenuity was Jim Clark.

bigblue

Spectacular post, Slo Poke, I can't, at this moment, disclose more than that regarding what you've said.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

bigblue wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:21
Spectacular post, Slo Poke, I can't, at this moment, disclose more than that regarding what you've said.
Thank you so much Bigblue. I really didn’t think my post was so impressive! However now you mention it, even I have to wonder now, if there is, or was, something, ominously lurking, within it!
You don’t think they’ll gang up on us do you?

ispano6

Actually Tanabe said he borrowed higher performance in exchange for longevity. Yamamoto also mentioned the clever driving by Max to pull out of the slipstream to momentarily cool the engine. Horner attributed Max's late pace to tire management and Max really made everyone smile when he was actually chuckling over the radio!
At the end of the day, RA619H had higher temperature tolerance and Max's RB15 better aero balance. Hamilton also mentioned Hungary will be hot, and RB15 should again give Mercedes and Ferrari a challenge there, as should in Singapore. So Austria is just the second track RB15 can seriously contend for wins, first being Monaco and stuck in the wrong mode.
Last edited by ispano6 on 03 Jul 2019, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

ispano6

――この暑さで前の車に詰まると、タイヤだけでなくエンジンやブレーキの冷却にもろに影響が出ます。ルクレールはそこから比較的自由でした。

山本MD:ただマックスが特徴的だと思ったのは、ターン9で丘から下って行くところがありますよね。あそこでマックスだけは、1回右に寄るんですよ。あれはひょっとして、クーリングのためなのかな、と思いました。前の車の熱を拾わないようにね。毎ラップ、そうやっています。一方、他のドライバーは、やっていません。もしエンジンなどを少しでも冷やそうとして意識的にラインを変えているのだとしたら、ほんとうにマックスは凄いですよ。
My translation:
"In this heat, if you're stuck behind a car, it isn't just the tires but the engine and brake cooling that are affected. Leclerc more or less was free of that concern."
Yamamoto: "However, what I thought was unique to only Max was downhill section of Turn 9. At that location, he strafes right once momentarily. I thought, could this be for cooling? To not pick up the heat from the car ahead. He does this every lap. On the other hand, no other driver does this. If Max is consciously changing his line simply for cooling the engine(and brakes+tires) just a little more then he is incredible"
――表彰台では、ホンダのロゴを指差していましたね。
山本MD:ホンダにすごく気を遣ってくれています。コース内外のあの成熟ぶりは、「ほんとうに21歳なの?」と、いつも思います(笑)。実は人生(い)、何回か生きているのではと思ってしまいます。
"When up on the podium, he pointed to the Honda logo with his fingers"
Yamamoto: He is sending tremendous spirit to Honda. His maturity on and off the course makes me wonder "Is he really only 21? (laughs) In truth, he seems to have lived many lifetimes before.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/498664?all

IvailoStefanovBG

Slo Poke wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 23:05
I have a theory concerning these engine modes. These modes exist first and foremost to render the torque/power output to be controllable/useable/race-able and without them, these cars would be much slower than what we see at present.
So! In preparation to Austria, the Honda, Newey, Honda Aerospace combination seem to have agreed upon a very basic and rather Heath Robinson addition. I don’t want to disclose exactly what that may/could have been but without a teraflop capable super computer the addition is highly unlikely to pull-off another win elsewhere. That isn’t saying that another win isn’t possible as it could happen but Austria is a very unique track.
The win itself has to have been down to ninety-five-percent Verstappen assisted by all concerned being on the right track, as I fancy that that can now be said. Consequently if they scratch their heads further as to what they dreamt up for Austria, Honda will undoubtedly reinvent the wheel!
Now! The Heath Robinson affair. Engine eleven, as it was conveyed to their driver, to my line of thinking has to be engine mode one ‘point’ one and is simply a copy of engine mode one that lacks launch setting. So if we couple the inherently aggressive nature of that mode, which Verstappen handled ably at Monaco, being stuck as he was in mode twelve (a combination of modes one and two.), to the Heath Robinson addition of Austria it makes mode one, especially late race, a feasible arrangement. Hence the ninety-five-percent down to Max Verstappen.
If I’m right? It was a very impressive display of his ability to quickly adjust to any given situation and the only driver I can think of with that kind of racing ingenuity was Jim Clark.
Hello again. I have some very interesting posts. Unfortunately, you just nourish my curiosity without going in details. Can you share some more detail about your ideas? My own opinion is similar to yours - that RB - Honda could hardly duplicate RB Ring race pace at any other track, but i`m not so technically profound and can not give good explanation where this pace came from.... :?

mclaren113
mclaren113

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:23
Slo Poke wrote:
Hello again. I have some very interesting posts. Unfortunately, you just nourish my curiosity without going in details. Can you share some more detail about your ideas? My own opinion is similar to yours - that RB - Honda could hardly duplicate RB Ring race pace at any other track, but i`m not so technically profound and can not give good explanation where this pace came from.... :?
3 explanations:
1. Mercedes cooling issues
2. Ferrari screwed themselves by bad strategies
3. Max Verstappen

IvailoStefanovBG

mclaren113 wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:30
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
Slo Poke wrote:
I have a theory concerning these engine modes. These modes exist first and foremost to render the torque/power output to be controllable/useable/race-able and without them, these cars would be much slower than what we see at
3 explanations:
3. Max Verstappen
Yes. I fully agree with you but these facts are well known. What bothers me is radically different race pace that RB - Honda had in Austria, compared to sliding rear and lack of tempo in France.

TNTHead

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:37
mclaren113 wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:30
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:

3 explanations:
3. Max Verstappen
Yes. I fully agree with you but these facts are well known. What bothers me is radically different race pace that RB - Honda had in Austria, compared to sliding rear and lack of tempo in France.
I think there are two additional factors, not to be neglected:
4. Setup in the sweet spot (as stated by VER)
5. Track temperature leading to tires being in the right window (combined with 4.)

As 1. and 5. (and 4.) are interconnected, it is indeed doubtable that they can repeat this pace difference at other tracks. However, it also might be that they finally are getting their chassis working in the sweet spot. If that is the case, we could see this duplicated at more tracks. Let's hope...

GhibliGT
GhibliGT

Just my 2 cents : can't it be that all just falls in the right place, as Max stated earlier "with a little more horse power and improved balance, things can look quite different"
Honda allowed more power and during the race again even more and RBR brought some updates..........
This could mean we could see the race pace Max showed, during the race in Austria, more often.
Because Mercedes was compromised by the high temperatures and Ferrari started on the wrong tire , we even could some real battles on the track......... wouldn't that be great ??

Bumper cars
Bumper cars

GhibliGT wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 13:58
Just my 2 cents : can't it be that all just falls in the right place, as Max stated earlier "with a little more horse power and improved balance, things can look quite different"
Honda allowed more power and during the race again even more and RBR brought some updates..........
This could mean we could see the race pace Max showed, during the race in Austria, more often.
Because Mercedes was compromised by the high temperatures and Ferrari started on the wrong tire , we even could some real battles on the track......... wouldn't that be great ??
Exactly, as it looks the new front wing mimics the step forward Mercedes made in Barcelona (around 0.5 seconds a lap). No doubt, the high temps also made a difference, but you could see in the race that Max was able to throw the car into the corner, so grip levels increased significantly.

gandharva

Well, his tires were 8-10 laps younger too, but on the other hand Vettel also couldn't match his laptimes with a new set of mediums.

ispano6

Austria pace is true pace with very little reservation.

France was the first time using Spec3. Not only was it used conservatively, the mappings were not optimal and deployment would run out on the straights. Yamamoto said this after France as did Marko. Max complained about running out of power, not about top speed.

mmred
mmred

gandharva wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 16:07
Well, his tires were 8-10 laps younger too, but on the other hand Vettel also couldn't match his laptimes with a new set of mediums.
Vettel race wasn't exactly a reference Sunday. But it would have been interesting to see Leclerc with a decent strategy and Verstappen without start error.
I guess Redbull was fastest anyway in Austria, surely on white tyres as binotto admitted