Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Fede90
Fede90

Re: Red Bull RB15

GPR -A wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 18:55
gandharva wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 18:11
mika vs michael wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 17:57
W10 looks tighter on the rear...
It better is with that monstrous sidepod air inlet!

Or... just maybe... it could be completely different aero philosophies?
They have reduced the width of the inlet and increased the length of it (red box). With the reduction in width, they have compressed the side pod itself (Blue line).
https://i.imgur.com/lGT1TJU.png
Maybe it's my impression, but if i look the right picture and then the left one...the W09 seems to me the evolution of W10.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

mika vs michael wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 17:57
W10 looks tighter on the rear...
That is true, but take note that the Merc has a longer wheel base, so might look to have more free space at the rear from some angles.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mantikos
mantikos

BrunoH wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:40
since the Mclaren honda days, it was reported in paddock that it had the lowest COG and weight... and i belive it. they with the honda engine were an agile car, very strong in cornering compared to when they switched to renault. It could be one of the causes...

Guess what Andy Crowell said they worked on this winter at Merc - engine weight, center of gravity, and reduced cooling

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Espresso
Espresso

I was a bit curious what was hidden in the darkness and put the nose through an image-editor...
Don't mind the arrow....check the (reversed) gills on the side of the nose...

Last edited by Espresso on 14 Feb 2019, 01:27, edited 4 times in total.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

carisi2k

TwanV wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:38
BrunoH wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:34
this looks really agressive, i hope they didnt take hondas data as assured that they can run this little cooling/ venting.. if its ok its a massive step forward from Honda, the smallest, lightest , and lowest COG, PU in the grid. Mclaren must me going nuts...
Curious about the engine, not a Honda expert. what makes you say it has the lowest CoG? I would also say the engine cover actually looks taller than the Merc..
high engine cover is due to radiators installed above engine and not the engine itself.

atanatizante

turbof1 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 15:40
gandharva wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 15:29
Front wing already differing drastically from the release pictures

https://abload.de/img/14c0jtf.jpg
No it is the same one, just the upperflaps having a different angle.
@turbo f1: seem they are running a 4 element FW for trying to have a better balance with their RW AoA setup, which as usually they run it in a low DF configuration even at Silverstone ...

It would be interesting to see the RW AoA from both RB15 and W10 at this filming day in order to prove my theory ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Capharol
Capharol

Close up shots of the bargeboard area between the RB15 at the Silverstone shakedown (top) and the RB15 rendering (bottom)

not sure if it was already posted

jagunx51

Espresso wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:29
I was a bit curious and put the nose through and image-editor.
Don't mind the arrow....check the gills on the side of the nose...
https://i.imgur.com/jWU83Sm.jpg
jagunx51 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:45
F1NAC wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 14:20
Are they trying to create more suction at the S duct with this kind of spoiler
Perhaps to deflect the air from Sduct, so it flows close to surface of the nose, not flowing directly into the helmet

https://i.imgur.com/46UIXmc.jpg
............!!!!

gandharva

Capharol wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 00:50
https://www.directupload.net
Close up shots of the bargeboard area between the RB15 at the Silverstone shakedown (top) and the RB15 rendering (bottom)

not sure if it was already posted
It's (the bargeboard) exactly the same. Also the blue rectangle covers different areas on both pics.

atanatizante

carisi2k wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:53
TwanV wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:34
this looks really agressive, i hope they didnt take hondas data as assured that they can run this little cooling/ venting.. if its ok its a massive step forward from Honda, the smallest, lightest , and lowest COG, PU in the grid. Mclaren must me going nuts...
Curious about the engine, not a Honda expert. what makes you say it has the lowest CoG? I would also say the engine cover actually looks taller than the Merc..
high engine cover is due to radiators installed above the engine and not the engine itself.
That! That`s the reason they have so small sidepods air intakes! And that leads obviously to a higher CoG of the car not the engine, which is far worse, btw ...

And that`s not the weakest point in Honda`s PU armour. Maybe this year they reached almost the same max. power output both in the race and in qualy but certainly they are behind Ferrari and Merc in combustion efficiency hence requires more fuel than both ICE`s above mentioned.

With 2 tenths per lap gain for every 5kg of fuel - as Andy Cowell said - this means Merc acknowledged that the gain Ferrari`s ICE was doing last year was mainly due to a better fuel combustion process (coming out from an exclusive technology provided by Mahle and a renowned scientist, had I`m not wrong) and acted this year accordingly ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Espresso
Espresso

atanatizante wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 00:58
carisi2k wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 23:53
TwanV wrote:

high engine cover is due to radiators installed above the engine and not the engine itself.
That! That`s the reason they have so small sidepods air intakes! And that leads obviously to a higher CoG of the car not the engine, which is far worse, btw ...

And that`s not the weakest point in Honda`s PU armour. Maybe this year they reached almost the same max. power output both in the race and in qualy but certainly they are behind Ferrari and Merc in combustion efficiency hence requires more fuel than both ICE`s above mentioned.

With 2 tenths per lap gain for every 5kg of fuel - as Andy Cowell said - this means Merc acknowledged that the gain Ferrari`s ICE was doing last year was mainly due to a better fuel combustion process (coming out from an exclusive technology provided by Mahle and a renowned scientist, had I`m not wrong) and acted this year accordingly ...
Well the Honda engine was designed with 'the lowest CoG compared to the other engines. I don't think that would have changed a lot.

Lets look at it from another perspective...
...look at the coke bottle choking (flat) at the rear.....almost forming an oversized rear wing.... :o ...seems to me Newey at work.....utilizing the honda design....
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

ringo

redbull has a cautious confidence in Honda, hence they small sized branding on the car. ESSO and Aston Martin is more visible. It's showing that redbull don't believe in the earth dreams 100% as the season gets under way.
The car looks good however, an evolution of last years with not much different on the outer skin. More compact engine cover, pushing the air coming off the radiators onto the flanks of the engine and out over the gear box.
The nose of the car is also refined, a very flat and broad upper surface.
Other than that just adaptations for the new rules. The devil is in the details i suppose.
For Sure!!