Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
f1316
f1316
130
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 pm
front suspension looks particularly different. can we expect something different at melbourne though?
They’ve moved from the Mercedes ‘raise suspension as high as possible’ model to the Ferrari ‘high intake so keep suspension low’ philosophy.

So no, don’t think this will change.

Tzk
Tzk
25
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:49 am

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

jagunx51 wrote:
TalnoRacing wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 pm
It looks like the airbox vents straight through to the back of the car. I have not seen this before. Is it "standard" practice?

https://s284.photobucket.com/user/Talno ... 8.jpg.html
reducing pressure build up perhaps?
Or just the most efficient way of cooling the turbo, some intercoolers and the exhaust pipes.

We also dont know if the car is complete on the pictures.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
627
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

jagunx51 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 pm
TalnoRacing wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 pm
It looks like the airbox vents straight through to the back of the car. I have not seen this before. Is it "standard" practice?

https://s284.photobucket.com/user/Talno ... 8.jpg.html
reducing pressure build up perhaps?
Just an incomplete model. There would be no point having pressure relief when you could just limit the air going in in the first place and have a more slippery car.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

CLKGTR
CLKGTR
84
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post


carisi2k
carisi2k
33
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

gandharva wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm
As expected. RB14B with some sort of Ferrari inspired channel before sidepod cooling entries. Central cooling inlet looks huge.
not so fast. The only rb14 part I noticed was the sidepod inlet. Everything else was most definitely not rb14 including the halo.

User avatar
Blackout
765
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

f1316 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 am
Manoah2u wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 pm
front suspension looks particularly different. can we expect something different at melbourne though?
They’ve moved from the Mercedes ‘raise suspension as high as possible’ model to the Ferrari ‘high intake so keep suspension low’ philosophy.

So no, don’t think this will change.
STR didnt copy it from Mercedes, they invented them the same year. :P
Last edited by Blackout on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thunder
Moderator
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am
Location: Germany

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

Some posts about how to best Copy Red Bull have been moved to the Team Thread. Please keep it about the Hardware of the Car in here. :wink:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

cramr
cramr
8
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 am

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

Blackout wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 am
f1316 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 am
Manoah2u wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 pm


front suspension looks particularly different. can we expect something different at melbourne though?
They’ve moved from the Mercedes ‘raise suspension as high as possible’ model to the Ferrari ‘high intake so keep suspension low’ philosophy.

So no, don’t think this will change.
Sauber didnt copy it from Mercedes, they invented them the same year. :P
Sauber had it since day 1. It was Mercedes who brought it later in the season

User avatar
Blackout
765
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

I mean STR not Sauber :oops:

User avatar
Blackout
765
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

Merc and STR first used them in 2016 AFAIR.
Front view
Image
Last edited by Blackout on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

Topic is now stickied
#AeroFrodo

f1316
f1316
130
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

cramr wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 am
Blackout wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 am
f1316 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 am


They’ve moved from the Mercedes ‘raise suspension as high as possible’ model to the Ferrari ‘high intake so keep suspension low’ philosophy.

So no, don’t think this will change.
Sauber didnt copy it from Mercedes, they invented them the same year. :P
Sauber had it since day 1. It was Mercedes who brought it later in the season
Yes, aware of the lineage of the suspension philosophy (albeit, as shown above, STR and Mercedes launched cars at pretty much the same time with this type of front suspension) - I used ‘Mercedes’ and ‘Ferrari’ as shorthand buckets for the two of philosophy when it comes to suspension height; the point being that a lower suspension ‘matches’ a high sidepod inlet, so no reason to assume this will change on the STR.

Apologies if this wasn’t clear.

User avatar
Morteza
2267
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

michl420
michl420
9
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

I would say that this Mirror Arrangement is illegal (too much outside). Although I could be wrong.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
409
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR14

Post

michl420 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm
I would say that this Mirror Arrangement is illegal (too much outside). Although I could be wrong.
yes, you're wrong.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... EcwsM.html
Mirror mods: Small changes to the mirror regulations in light of the larger rear wing, in order to maintain adequate rear view visibility and safety.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.