McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL34

No, it looks like this is a vertical monocoque element.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
M840TR wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 11:53
Chicane wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 06:56
China is a low-medium downforce track under these aero regulations. The rear wing may change for Barcelona which is a medium-high downforce track.

Mclaren are hunting for front downforce not just from front wing but also from speeding up the the air flow under the floor.
Floor downforce helps rear-end traction. The FW is the only part of the car - since there's no S-duct - that generates upwash for the front.
Why wouldn't McLaren make use of an S duct though? Looks like it wasn't there last year either, if I'm not mistaken.
Probably the drag created by the S-Duct is higher than the aero benefit from it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 12:48
M840TR wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 11:53
Floor downforce helps rear-end traction. The FW is the only part of the car - since there's no S-duct - that generates upwash for the front.
Why wouldn't McLaren make use of an S duct though? Looks like it wasn't there last year either, if I'm not mistaken.
They use the duct to power the cape.
There is no “S-Duct”, it’s not that they use it for the cape... And having their current nose design doesn’t prevent them from having an S-Duct, simply they don’t find the benefit that the rest of the teams seem to find for it.

M840TR
M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 15:43
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 12:48

There is no “S-Duct”, it’s not that they use it for the cape... And having their current nose design doesn’t prevent them from having an S-Duct, simply they don’t find the benefit that the rest of the teams seem to find for it.

That's what I said. I meant the middle duct which can be used for the S-duct - like Redbull - is used for the cape instead. So they technically can use the S-duct with this nose but that would entail more weight on top of the already hefty structure (crash tests requirements) which probably wouldn't be ultimately beneficial to performance. This is also a feature carried over from last year when they had rear-end traction issues as opposed to front-end this year. Changing it now would entail further adjustments downstream.
I should've elaborated further but it's been discussed an incalculable number of times before so didn't bother.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 16:30
SmallSoldier wrote:
M840TR wrote:

That's what I said. I meant the middle duct which can be used for the S-duct - like Redbull - is used for the cape instead. So they technically can use the S-duct with this nose but that would entail more weight on top of the already hefty structure (crash tests requirements) which probably wouldn't be ultimately beneficial to performance. This is also a feature carried over from last year when they had rear-end traction issues as opposed to front-end this year. Changing it now would entail further adjustments downstream.
I should've elaborated further but it's been discussed an incalculable number of times before so didn't bother.
Thanks, sorry for taking you back, didn't know it had already been discussed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 16:37
M840TR wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 16:30
SmallSoldier wrote:

Thanks, sorry for taking you back, didn't know it had already been discussed.
No worries.

M840TR
M840TR

via Albert Fabrega

DiogoBrand

Can someone explain how the strakes on the front wing generate outwash? I didn't know they do that.

roon
roon

M840TR wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 16:39
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D34QaTmUIAITC20.jpg:large

via Albert Fabrega

FW17

M840TR wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 16:39
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D34QaTmUIAITC20.jpg:large

via Albert Fabrega
Why are these made with carbon fiber? does each of those elements have a profile to it or they are flat?

Can the same be made with sheets of aluminium?

or 3d printed with aluminium?

PhillipM
PhillipM

They're profiled. And you can make them lighter in carbon than aluminium, so why would you make them in ally?

M840TR
M840TR

DiogoBrand wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 21:43
Can someone explain how the strakes on the front wing generate outwash? I didn't know they do that.
They generate vortexes that are pushed outwards due to their path of travel in a similar fashion to the endplate. This pulls the tyre wake towards it after it merges with the y250 etc.

M840TR
M840TR

What on Earth?!

zoroastar
zoroastar

M840TR wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 13:34
What on Earth?!
trilobite? an ancient water creature. never thought of them as being aerodynamic though.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 13:30
They're profiled. And you can make them lighter in carbon than aluminium, so why would you make them in ally?
Also (I assume) aluminium would bend when hit and could cause a lot of disruption.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.