Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mercedes W11

2020 vs 2019 in Austria
Less wings in 2020, especially at the rear...
They are more competitive in the straight-lines this year*, but how are their performances in the turns compared to last year?

*Thanks to the PU, yes (RP has competitive speed traps too), but not only... :-k
Last edited by Blackout on 12 Jul 2020, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

I noticed that in race trim the Mercedes isn't using the 8th gear. 7th gear seems to be really long this year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

wesley123 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 17:19
I noticed that in race trim the Mercedes isn't using the 8th gear. 7th gear seems to be really long this year.
They were using it between T1 and T3, but not between T3 and T4, but then I think others weren't other.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Blackout wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 13:29
2020 vs 2019 in Austria
Less wings in 2020, especially at the rear...
They are more competitive in the straight-lines this year*, but how are their performances in the turns compared to last year?

*Thanks to the PU, yes (RP has competitive speed traps too), but not only... :-k
https://i.imgur.com/a2CZO49.jpg
Looks like their floor/diffuser performance is improved, allowing them to run less wing. Impressive.

Good comparison pics, thanks.

pierrre
pierrre

someone has requested this to be put here

judging by the rake angle, the car is not travelling at higher speeds, still interesting pictures though

holeindalip
holeindalip

pierrre wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 07:59
someone has requested this to be put here
https://scontent.fbki1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5F2FE34A
https://scontent.fbki1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5F33132E

judging by the rake angle, the car is not travelling at higher speeds, still interesting pictures though
That was me, thanks....

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Ok it has been two races already and everytime we get to see the mercedes onboard, I barely see them ever using the DAS system during the race. All the advantages that we discussed earlier e.g. better top speed just doesn't seem to be true. Is Mercedes just scared of the reliability of the system or we just wrongly presumed these advantages. Because I don't see this being worth 2-3kg in the car if it's just for 'safety car periods'

Moore77

TheFluffy wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 18:03
Ok it has been two races already and everytime we get to see the mercedes onboard, I barely see them ever using the DAS system during the race. All the advantages that we discussed earlier e.g. better top speed just doesn't seem to be true. Is Mercedes just scared of the reliability of the system or we just wrongly presumed these advantages. Because I don't see this being worth 2-3kg in the car if it's just for 'safety car periods'
It's there to put temperature in the front tyres. That's the only benefit. Having watched onboards of qualifying and races, they use it either when they are preparing for the quali lap or at the formation lap or behind the safety car. They have not used it even once either on a qualifying lap OR in race laps.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Maybe it's for limited use such as tyre prep for Q3 and for safety cars. Getting pole is important so being able to optimise the tyres might be enough of a benefit to carry the mass. Likewise safety car restarts. Dropping out of the tyres' window can result in being mugged at the restart.

One thing to keep in mind - maybe the base suspension design is one that is kind to the tyres. If so, getting them warmed up will be difficult. DAS allows that to be done without compromising the base strategy. If that's the case, then it's worth the sub-optimal placement of ballast (essentially that's what they are doing - placing optional mass somewhere which is exactly what ballast is. Mercedes have bet on it being a net gain. So far, it has been.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

pierrre
pierrre

TheFluffy wrote:
it was very clever and no one thought they could get away with something that so a lot of theorist got excited

Pyrone89

When the season is done they should donate 1 to an art gallery and 1 to the Smithsonian because it is both a work of art and an engineering masterpiece in one.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

supermarine
supermarine

TheFluffy wrote:
It may be a bit early to make many conclusions on this because we need to see running on more circuits. If we are going to see DAS used in races it seems more likely that it will be at tracks where front tyre wear is an issue -- Barcelona perhaps? I guess there is also the chance that at some very technical tracks with lots of slow-speed corners more toe-out would be desirable some of the time so we might see it then.
That said, I think we can safely conclude that DAS is not being used as some sort of aero trick to gain speed on the straights by lifting the nose otherwise we would have seen more of it by now. I do wonder if it would be worth doing with a higher rake car than the Merc though.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

supermarine wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:25
TheFluffy wrote:
It may be a bit early to make many conclusions on this because we need to see running on more circuits. If we are going to see DAS used in races it seems more likely that it will be at tracks where front tyre wear is an issue -- Barcelona perhaps? I guess there is also the chance that at some very technical tracks with lots of slow-speed corners more toe-out would be desirable some of the time so we might see it then.
That said, I think we can safely conclude that DAS is not being used as some sort of aero trick to gain speed on the straights by lifting the nose otherwise we would have seen more of it by now. I do wonder if it would be worth doing with a higher rake car than the Merc though.
i do believe it is for tyre warming only to be honest. they use it only breifly before a quali lap and safety car restart, its quite strange actually to see the mercs not doing any weaving what so ever behind the safety car. they just give it some DAS on each straight and thats it.

F1Krof

Mchamilton wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:54
supermarine wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:25
TheFluffy wrote:
i do believe it is for tyre warming only to be honest. they use it only breifly before a quali lap and safety car restart, its quite strange actually to see the mercs not doing any weaving what so ever behind the safety car. they just give it some DAS on each straight and thats it.
I also saw Hamilton using it on the formation lap. What was strange is that he playing with it quite a lot, moving forwards and back. It would be good if we had the onboard footage of Hamilton on the formation lap.
Wroom wroom

DeathPig
DeathPig

F1Krof wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 17:35
I also saw Hamilton using it on the formation lap. What was strange is that he playing with it quite a lot, moving forwards and back. It would be good if we had the onboard footage of Hamilton on the formation lap.
Good catch. Bottas didn't use it as much either.