Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

LM10 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 23:12
Big Tea wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 22:44
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 22:26

To be frank, I don't think Binotto is doing a terrible job. He doesn't boast, doesn't showboat, is very serious and to the point. You need that to steer the ship in the right direction, someone who by nature sees what's in front of his face, and acts, isn't swayed by politics because he is not political by nature. Right now for Ferrari to move forward it needs to be brutally honest with itself because that is the fastest way to see and fix what is wrong.
Although I am not his biggest fan, I did not in particular mean him, but in general Ferrari seem to have no continuity anywhere. It seems that every time there is a hiccup a head has to roll. Everyone makes mistakes, especially if they are under extreme pressure. There seems to be no tolerance to this at Ferrari, and it seems it is often the wrong head. As you point out Binnotto is getting pilloried for what are probably decisions he is executing, not making.
The direction of head rolling has not been the case for 2 years now. The new philosophy started with Camilleri and Binotto. They’ve told multiple times that their intention is not to sack anyone, but continuity. Binotto in particular told that he believes in the potential of his young team and in order for the team to deliver it’s key to hold everything together.
I did read they had stashed the axe, but seen to remember a few people 'leaving' but can not recall names (except Resta, who to Alfa)

2 years in not long at all when compared to other teams though. We will see, and hope it is right as they need to get back in the groove
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FDD
FDD

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 00:05
LM10 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 23:12
Big Tea wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 22:44

Although I am not his biggest fan, I did not in particular mean him, but in general Ferrari seem to have no continuity anywhere. It seems that every time there is a hiccup a head has to roll. Everyone makes mistakes, especially if they are under extreme pressure. There seems to be no tolerance to this at Ferrari, and it seems it is often the wrong head. As you point out Binnotto is getting pilloried for what are probably decisions he is executing, not making.
The direction of head rolling has not been the case for 2 years now. The new philosophy started with Camilleri and Binotto. They’ve told multiple times that their intention is not to sack anyone, but continuity. Binotto in particular told that he believes in the potential of his young team and in order for the team to deliver it’s key to hold everything together.
I did read they had stashed the axe, but seen to remember a few people 'leaving' but can not recall names (except Resta, who to Alfa)

2 years in not long at all when compared to other teams though. We will see, and hope it is right as they need to get back in the groove
Resta is moved to Haas which is now actually Ferrari and also some other staff, in order to meet the constraints of the budget cap. If I remember well Haas has its "own" new premises in Maranelo.
PS Aston Martin is the same story in the MERC case.

wowgr8
wowgr8

ryaan2904 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 14:39
Also, new wheel nuts and wheel guns (new guns they brought at mugello before freeze)
So why didn't they use them for the rest of the year? Even when they knew the old ones were causing issues

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 21:42
ryaan2904 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 14:39
Also, new wheel nuts and wheel guns (new guns they brought at mugello before freeze)
So why didn't they use them for the rest of the year? Even when they knew the old ones were causing issues
The guns they used i think. The main problem was the stripped wheelnut though
CFD Eyes of Sauron

GTO99

Any idea what's the reveal date of the new car and other teams?

MtthsMlw

GTO99 wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:03
No, we only know Alfa (22.2.) and McLaren (15.2.) so far.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

GTO99 wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 10:03
As far as i know they plan to "launch" the car on the Track. No fancy presentation event this year

wowgr8
wowgr8

TimmTurbo wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 11:36

As far as i know they plan to "launch" the car on the Track. No fancy presentation event this year
There should be a team launch if I'm not mistaken, to present Sainz and the new sponsors. They'll also have a filming day with the new car on 11th March

FDD
FDD

"The Ferrari SF21 will cover the first few kilometers on 11 March , one day before the short collective tests scheduled in Bahrain from 12 to 14 March"
Info from yesterday
Edit:
"...More specifically, sending the new SF21 to the track as early as 11 March to spend a filming day : 100 km of commercial footage on the Sakhir circuit in which Leclerc and Sainz will have an appetizer of what awaits them in 2021."

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

FDD wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 12:44
"The Ferrari SF21 will cover the first few kilometers on 11 March , one day before the short collective tests scheduled in Bahrain from 12 to 14 March"
Info from yesterday
Edit:
"...More specifically, sending the new SF21 to the track as early as 11 March to spend a filming day : 100 km of commercial footage on the Sakhir circuit in which Leclerc and Sainz will have an appetizer of what awaits them in 2021."
Hope to God its a fast car that awaits them :mrgreen:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

PlatinumZealot

Whar do you mean by fast?
Faster than McLaren would be deemed a big success. As fast as Aston Martin would be a beyond a surprise. Faster then Aston would be a dream come true, and as fast as RedBull would be literal dream, so pinch yourself to wake up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 18:56
Faster than McLaren would be deemed a big success. As fast as Aston Martin would be a beyond a surprise. Faster then Aston would be a dream come true, and as fast as RedBull would be literal dream, so pinch yourself to wake up.
In the Alpine thread they say they've found a way to almost completely negate the df loss by the new rules. If ppl can believe that, I can sure as hell believe Ferrari gonna be as fast if not faster than mclaren
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316
f1316

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 21:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
In the Alpine thread they say they've found a way to almost completely negate the df loss by the new rules. If ppl can believe that, I can sure as hell believe Ferrari gonna be as fast if not faster than mclaren
Yeah, respectfully I disagree.

Ferrari were there or thereabouts vs both mclaren and racing point in 2020 - often a bit slower but sometimes faster, at least with Leclerc. And that was a car with a few fundamental problems: down significantly on power, overly draggy due to radiator layout and apparently with a flexing gearbox casing. Fixing those issues would add up to significant gain - not to mention that they actually benefit vs both of those teams in terms of wind tunnel/CFD allowance this year - so not being a solid 3rd place in the championship would imo be a disappointment.

I don’t think they’ll be up with RB and certainly not Mercedes but they may be better placed to at least finish well when those cars have issues.

FDD
FDD

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think that you are pretty realistic on this.
As Ferrari fan I hope that they will manage to be faster than McLaren and Aston Martin, I hope.
Merc and RB are out of touch, my opinion.

Blackout

The 2020 and 2021 Ferrari chassis have to be (much) better than the Renault, Mclaren or RP. Just compare Ferrari's chassis budget with RS or MCL...