McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Re: McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

the EDGE wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 22:48
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 22:27
I’m guessing that Mclaren will also be without an S-Duct this season... It’s interesting that it has been the only team without one now for a few seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The S-duct exploits a loop hole in the regulations. No holes are allowed through the cockpit or the structural part of the nose, so the ducting from bottom to top passes between where the nose cone meets/attaches to the bulk head

Because of the way McLaren house the suspension, very high-up with the hydraulics on the outside of the bulk head it prevents them from running an S-duct as there is no room for the ducting to pass

They must believe their suspension set-up bring them a bigger gain than the S-duct would as it’s been that way for 4 or 5 years
Can you think of any substantial gains which the higher mounted suspension brings, relative to the lower ones?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

ryaan2904 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 05:15
the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
I’m guessing that Mclaren will also be without an S-Duct this season... It’s interesting that it has been the only team without one now for a few seasons.

The S-duct exploits a loop hole in the regulations. No holes are allowed through the cockpit or the structural part of the nose, so the ducting from bottom to top passes between where the nose cone meets/attaches to the bulk head

Because of the way McLaren house the suspension, very high-up with the hydraulics on the outside of the bulk head it prevents them from running an S-duct as there is no room for the ducting to pass

They must believe their suspension set-up bring them a bigger gain than the S-duct would as it’s been that way for 4 or 5 years
Can you think of any substantial gains which the higher mounted suspension brings, relative to the lower ones?
The transmission is reinforced where the suspension is mounted, which adds bulk and takes up space. That space takes away aero performance because the area you open up if you move the suspension up higher is right in front of the diffuser. The more air you can channel to go over the diffuser, the higher the pressure in that region, and you get a greater pressure differential from the underside of the diffuser.
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE
the EDGE

ryaan2904 wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

On the front suspension I believe it primarily allows for cleaner air flow

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

the EDGE wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 11:14
ryaan2904 wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

You could also argue that a lower suspension mounting point cleans up the airflow over the sidepods and the chassis overall
CFD Eyes of Sauron

djos

ryaan2904 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:40
the EDGE wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 11:14
ryaan2904 wrote:

You could also argue that a lower suspension mounting point cleans up the airflow over the sidepods and the chassis overall
Most teams found that improving the quality of the airflow lower down around the base of the side-pods improves the diffuser efficiency. It's why they go to so much trouble with barge-boards etc.
"In downforce we trust"

_cerber1

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 10:50
I don’t like any of them. For me the original Mcl34 launch scheme was by far the best livery, before they added more black

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

the EDGE wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 10:56
_cerber1 wrote:
I don’t like any of them. For me the original Mcl34 launch scheme was by far the best livery, before they added more black
Same here. Not a fan of any of them. The orange and black looks too like a Renault from the last few years, the one with the white looks way too busy - a case of less is more should apply. I like the original orange and blue livery too. It was different and the blue sung in sunlight.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mclaren111

Same Here...

_cerber1

Good! I'll talk to the team, we will prepare a new livery by February 15th. :roll:

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 14:33
Good! I'll talk to the team, we will prepare a new livery by February 15th. :roll:
Can you ask the MSO branch to take care of this please... they do such a good job with the road car specials

I love papaya & blue, but I needs an artists touch, not a marketing managers

6 of 12
6 of 12

_cerber1 wrote:
I love all of them. The one that is only papaya and black feels too F2 for me though. The one with white is completely brilliant. I wonder how that would look with chrome instead of white, since it's a Mercedes now after all. 😏
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

KingHamilton01

6 of 12 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 16:20
_cerber1 wrote:
I love all of them. The one that is only papaya and black feels too F2 for me though. The one with white is completely brilliant. I wonder how that would look with chrome instead of white, since it's a Mercedes now after all. 😏
Yeah silver outline on the black and orange version would be interesting, with more black on top of the engine cover.
McLaren Mercedes

charliesmithhd

I made this concept a couple weeks ago, we had hints of black from McLaren so I thought id add some to my concept

the EDGE
the EDGE

charliesmithhd wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 20:11
I made this concept a couple weeks ago, we had hints of black from McLaren so I thought id add some to my concept
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Et4lOYtWgAE ... me=900x900
It’s very good work, but fin honest I don’t want anymore black than what’s on the car now, and I want at least some artistic effort to go into it, not just straight lines or paints individual components