McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Can we just clarify 'open source' Here? I use lots of open source, but most of it is modified for my own ' convenience'.
Will this be allowed or does it mean unmodified use as is? (anyone know?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

I think that I have just spotted an area for interpretation…
The disc must be rigidly secured to the wheel rim…
Will there be a test condition for rigid? Another of those oxymoron FIA rules!!!

You could ‘rigidly’ secure the disc to the rim at a very small PCD, allowing flexure of the outer portion of the disc away from the rim edge.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Mattchu

Big Tea wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 16:17
Can we just clarify 'open source' Here? I use lots of open source, but most of it is modified for my own ' convenience'.
From what I can gather, "open source" means any modifications (to an open source component) must be available via drawings, schematics, etc, to all other competitors, plus being free of any IP. The manufacturer must also provide the FIA with a list of all the Open Source Components (OSC) it uses on the car. This information, plus the technical specs of the items will be held on an designated server specified by the FIA and all teams will have access to it...

So I`m pretty sure it can be modified (within the rules) but any mods must be declared and all technical aspects are freely available to all teams.

There is some ambiguity with regards to IP in relation to a 3rd party, but the exact same product should still be available to anyone else.

Big Tea

Mattchu wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 20:09
Big Tea wrote:
From what I can gather, "open source" means any modifications (to an open source component) must be available via drawings, schematics, etc, to all other competitors, plus being free of any IP. The manufacturer must also provide the FIA with a list of all the Open Source Components (OSC) it uses on the car. This information, plus the technical specs of the items will be held on an designated server specified by the FIA and all teams will have access to it...

So I`m pretty sure it can be modified (within the rules) but any mods must be declared and all technical aspects are freely available to all teams.

There is some ambiguity with regards to IP in relation to a 3rd party, but the exact same product should still be available to anyone else.
I wonder if they have to publish before they use it, or just when someone requests it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 23:04
Mattchu wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 20:09
Big Tea wrote:

I wonder if they have to publish before they use it, or just when someone requests it?
For record, they were OSC in 2021 in 2022 they are SSC.

Mattchu

Big Tea wrote:
From the regs:

17.6.3 Any Competitor who designs a new OSC or modifies the Design Specification of a previous
OSC must upload the new Design Specification to the designated server before the first track
usage of this OSC in either a Competition or a test.

diffuser wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 00:28
From the looks of the 2022 regs we still have SSC and OSC, if you look at Appendige 5 of the current regs you see both listed.

diffuser

Mattchu wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 14:13
Big Tea wrote:
From the regs:

17.6.3 Any Competitor who designs a new OSC or modifies the Design Specification of a previous
OSC must upload the new Design Specification to the designated server before the first track
usage of this OSC in either a Competition or a test.

diffuser wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 00:28
From the looks of the 2022 regs we still have SSC and OSC, if you look at Appendige 5 of the current regs you see both listed.

https://i.postimg.cc/rsjjGNdV/sc.png
Thought we were still talking about the rims.

Blackout

A nice pic of the centerline cooling system and the ducting (f1i - Nicolas Carpentiers)
(but the top rad is missing) https://f1i.autojournal.fr/magazine/mag ... en-mcl35m/
Last edited by Blackout on 03 Jan 2022, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

Rear Ends 2021...

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 14:48
A nice pic of the centerline cooling system and the ducting (f1i - Nicolas Carpentiers)
https://f1i.autojournal.fr/wp-content/u ... aren_2.jpg
Pretty amazing how much smaller that is over the Alpine. It's obvious that the 2021 Alpine PU needed alot more cooling.

Blackout

diffuser wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 16:50
Blackout wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 14:48
https://f1i.autojournal.fr/wp-content/u ... aren_2.jpg
Pretty amazing how much smaller that is over the Alpine. It's obvious that the 2021 Alpine PU needed alot more cooling.
The Merc probably needs less cooling yeah (but the top rad is missing in that pic*), but the Alpine A521 is a very special case and not a good reference, because its cooling system is based on compromises since the tub was designed for a very different system. The Renault-powered MCL-35 (and even the RS18-19-20) are a better comparison.
Using the top intake for the cooling (like the MCL and most cars do / unlike the last RS cars and the Alpine) is probably the better solution for this kind of layout, and gives you more flexibility regarding the rads size and shape, because it gets cleaner higher energy air.
*2021 vs 2020
(f1i - Nicolas Carpentiers)
2020 https://i.imgur.com/7rOuAqg.jpeg