McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MrGapes

Re: McLaren MCL35M

interestingly the Ferrari wheel cover seems to extend all the way to the edge, whilst Mclaren has a indent on the outside edge of the wheel cover

_cerber1

I think they are all the same and made according to the drawings of the FIA or Pirelli. Perhaps a play of light.

MrGapes

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 09:27
I think they are all the same and made according to the drawings of the FIA or Pirelli. Perhaps a play of light.
I believe there is a bit of variety, this is the merc's https://i.imgur.com/OlRW5Af.png

_cerber1

The wheel cover with the hi res LED set up

_cerber1

:wtf:

Holm86

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 15:32
The wheel cover with the hi res LED set up
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGkYqPYWQAA ... me=900x900
I thought they stepped away from that idea

_cerber1

It looks like the team has prepared very thoroughly for the tests, perhaps we are already seeing some elements of the 2022 chassis.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Those of us who were there for the 2007-09 non-spinners era of wheel covers will know that there will be rapid development in this area. Back then, Mike Gasgoine at Force India had it at 0.4 a lap for a mild iteration and for a aggressive iteration it was closer to 0.8 even 0,9 of a lap. Some teams only ran them on the front wheels et Brawn on 09, but others like Ferrari were running on all fours. I suspect this is what Aston Martin were looking at today as I saw them running only on the fronts. I also suspect this could be a thing teams look at for cooling.

This will be an interesting development area.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 21:38
It looks like the team has prepared very thoroughly for the tests, perhaps we are already seeing some elements of the 2022 chassis.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGklFbIXMAg ... me=900x900

The brake Canister looks bigger and they added the new standard rim attachment hub. as far as the A arms and stuff, pretty sure that's 2021 stuff.

thestig84
thestig84

ESPImperium wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 22:02
Those of us who were there for the 2007-09 non-spinners era of wheel covers will know that there will be rapid development in this area. Back then, Mike Gasgoine at Force India had it at 0.4 a lap for a mild iteration and for a aggressive iteration it was closer to 0.8 even 0,9 of a lap. Some teams only ran them on the front wheels et Brawn on 09, but others like Ferrari were running on all fours. I suspect this is what Aston Martin were looking at today as I saw them running only on the fronts. I also suspect this could be a thing teams look at for cooling.

I believe they are a spec item. I cant find a link confirming this but Sam Collins says they are spec on his latest youtube video ( Post-Season Testing Pit Lane Walkabout | 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
at 7m16 )

Edited to add link to Pirelli confirming the rims, sensors and covers are indeed spec items.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... i/6885155/

diffuser

thestig84 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 00:08
ESPImperium wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 22:02

I believe they are a spec item. I cant find a link confirming this but Sam Collins says they are spec on his latest youtube video ( Post-Season Testing Pit Lane Walkabout | 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
at 7m16 )

Edited to add link to Pirelli confirming the rims, sensors and covers are indeed spec items.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... i/6885155/

Yep, I read that too. The Rims and mounting hubs are all Standard F1 Spec. Same for everyone.

MrGapes

I believe according to the technical regulations the wheel covers are open source, so their is opportunity for variance between teams, it's only in the case the FIA decide display panels are to be integrated on the wheel covers that they become standard amongst the teams.

Holm86

MrGapes wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 11:35
I believe according to the technical regulations the wheel covers are open source, so their is opportunity for variance between teams, it's only in the case the FIA decide display panels are to be integrated on the wheel covers that they become standard amongst the teams.
Yes, according to the technical regulations it's an OSC, but the version of the TEC regulations I could find is from February 2021, so maybe they've been updated since.
3.13.7 Wheel Cover
A single Wheel Cover per wheel, must be rigidly secured to the wheel rim such that it has the
same rotational velocity as the wheel it is connected to and forms an aerodynamic seal to the
wheel rim. The outboard surface of the Wheel Cover must be made to the shape defined by
RS-FWH-COV for the front wheels and by RS-RWH-COV for the rear wheels.
The Wheel Covers are classed as OSC, unless the FIA requests for Wheel display panels to be
fitted, in accordance with Article 8.18, in which case they will be classed as SSC.
COMPONENTS’ CLASSIFICATION
17.1 Definitions
17.2 General Principles
17.3 Listed Team Components (LTC)
17.4 Standard Supply Components (SSC)
17.5 Transferable Components (TRC)
17.6 Open Source Components (OSC)
17.7 List of LTC, SSC, TRC and OSC

diffuser

Holm86 wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 14:48
MrGapes wrote:
Yes, according to the technical regulations it's an OSC, but the version of the TEC regulations I could find is from February 2021, so maybe they've been updated since.
3.13.7 Wheel Cover
A single Wheel Cover per wheel, must be rigidly secured to the wheel rim such that it has the
same rotational velocity as the wheel it is connected to and forms an aerodynamic seal to the
wheel rim. The outboard surface of the Wheel Cover must be made to the shape defined by
The Wheel Covers are classed as OSC, unless the FIA requests for Wheel display panels to be
fitted, in accordance with Article 8.18, in which case they will be classed as SSC.
17.1 Definitions
17.2 General Principles
The 2022 regs say https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -07-08.pdf

3.13.7 Wheel Cover
wheel rim. The outboard surface of the Wheel Cover must be made to the geometry defined
by RS-FWH-COV for the front wheels and by RS-RWH-COV for the rear wheels.
The Wheel Covers are classed as SSC.

Holm86

diffuser wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 15:44
Holm86 wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 14:48
MrGapes wrote:
3.13.7 Wheel Cover
17.1 Definitions
17.2 General Principles
The 2022 regs say https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -07-08.pdf

3.13.7 Wheel Cover
wheel rim. The outboard surface of the Wheel Cover must be made to the geometry defined
by RS-FWH-COV for the front wheels and by RS-RWH-COV for the rear wheels.
The Wheel Covers are classed as SSC.
I don't know why I didn't get the newest version when I searched, but yes as I suspected they had been updated, thanks