Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W12

PhillipM wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 13:28
I'm a little skeptical of that, 15mm is massive for car setup and aero, a couple of millimeters is what you're usually playing with.
If Mercedes have managed to increase the rake of the car, you'd be looking at those sort of figures, however, not just a few millimetres. Interesting that mention is made of the handling changing and Bottas struggling to adapt to it. Sounds a bit like what's been happening in Red Bull...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

PhillipM wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 13:28
I'm a little skeptical of that, 15mm is massive for car setup and aero, a couple of millimeters is what you're usually playing with.
Yeah I agree, 15mm is an insane difference between team mates!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

It says height difference, so this might be measured at the top of the diffuser, where a small ride height change will see a bigger diffuser height change.
Felipe Baby!

OO7
OO7

Considering the 15mm mentioned is part of a new development/setup direction to increase the cars rake, then in my opinion it probably isn't as comparable to usual ride height changes. The front ride height of both cars would likely be similar.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

pursue_one's wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 13:00
That’s very interesting if that is true.
Lewis Hamilton has never hidden his reluctance to use the simulator. For a long time he thought it was unnecessary, but the current title battle against Max Verstappen is so tight that the Mercedes driver decided to use this tool again, as he had already done at Silverstone.

And now it happened again after the Turkish GP: on Wednesday after the race, Hamilton shared on Instagram showing him working on the simulator. The Mercedes car now requires a different handling, as it never had such a high rake as it did in Turkey. The car got a little faster, but with a rear bias that didn't exist before, as Mercedes cars have always been neutral as far as possible.

Bottas did not fully get used to this higher rear end than it was - so much so that his car has its rear end about 1.5 centimeters lower than Hamilton's, but the seven-time champion has adapted. In any case, Hamilton has been honing his new ride for a few races now - ever since Mercedes started raising the rear along with other aero modifications - on the Silver simulator.

https://www.autoracing.com.br/hamilton- ... -mercedes/
Big thanks for posting this. Even though it should be taken with a pinch of salt, it’s still a nice insight into what developments they might be focusing on. Good stuff!

flmkane
flmkane

Tvetovnato wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 18:18
pursue_one's wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 13:00
That’s very interesting if that is true.
Lewis Hamilton has never hidden his reluctance to use the simulator. For a long time he thought it was unnecessary, but the current title battle against Max Verstappen is so tight that the Mercedes driver decided to use this tool again, as he had already done at Silverstone.

And now it happened again after the Turkish GP: on Wednesday after the race, Hamilton shared on Instagram showing him working on the simulator. The Mercedes car now requires a different handling, as it never had such a high rake as it did in Turkey. The car got a little faster, but with a rear bias that didn't exist before, as Mercedes cars have always been neutral as far as possible.

Bottas did not fully get used to this higher rear end than it was - so much so that his car has its rear end about 1.5 centimeters lower than Hamilton's, but the seven-time champion has adapted. In any case, Hamilton has been honing his new ride for a few races now - ever since Mercedes started raising the rear along with other aero modifications - on the Silver simulator.

https://www.autoracing.com.br/hamilton- ... -mercedes/
Big thanks for posting this. Even though it should be taken with a pinch of salt, it’s still a nice insight into what developments they might be focusing on. Good stuff!

Hello my vehicle dynamics expert friends, would love a bit of insight into what "rear bias" would mean here.

Does that mean the car is a bit tail happy? Because of the increased height at the rear causing more load transfer at the rear tires?

atanatizante

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

A better video with the Y250 vortex, footage take into Q3:

Jesus

SiLo

It seemed the vortices were appearing at much lower speeds on the red bull than on the mercedes, wonder if it was just a conditions thing or if the RB has a more aggressive use of vortexes.
Felipe Baby!

jjn9128

SiLo wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 23:06
It seemed the vortices were appearing at much lower speeds on the red bull than on the mercedes, wonder if it was just a conditions thing or if the RB has a more aggressive use of vortexes.
Rake. Red Bull front wing is closer to the ground, means lower pressure underneath. Also necessity, "sealing" the floor becomes more vital.

That said I'd like to see a side-by-side to see if that's actually true.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

atanatizante

SiLo wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 23:06
Here you go:

Jesus

SiLo

Hard to tell because the Red Bull is a FOM slow mo, whereas the Merc is at normal speeds it seems. Maybe it's pretty similar then.
Felipe Baby!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... l/6693153/

How F1's development battle has swung between Mercedes and Red Bull
By:
Matthew Somerfield
Co-author:
Giorgio Piola

pursue_one's

Analysis: Mercedes can lower the rear ride height on straights

wesley123
wesley123

Sounds fun, but that's probably one of the oldest tricks in the book. It's really being overhyped; The rear squats under speed. We've already spotted the same thing on the Red Bull earlier this season, and before that as well.

The Mercedes CLR that ran at the Le Mans Air Show in 1999 used the same trick to reduce drag.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender