Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 674 speculation thread

Inerter shocks are still found in amateur racing, including drag racing. They're expensive, but not F1 expensive:
https://quartermax.com/triple-adjustabl ... er-shocks/
It would be lame to outlaw something that is found in those arenas.

henry

Hoffman900 wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 20:14
Inerter shocks are still found in amateur racing, including drag racing. They're expensive, but not F1 expensive:
https://quartermax.com/triple-adjustabl ... er-shocks/
It would be lame to outlaw something that is found in those arenas.
Yep. Ideal for drag racing. Big floppy tyres to control.

It will be interesting to see how well damped 2022 cars are when they’re bouncing over the kerbs at chicanes.

And F1 can make anything much more expensive than off the shelf components. Red Bull have had 3 complete redesigns of the 3rd spring area in 4 seasons eventually ending with what I believe is a hydraulically link to a remote location for spring, damper and inerter. But I don’t think expense is the main driver of the ban.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

tummalakoushik
tummalakoushik

f1316 wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 00:47
And to continue with something a bit more speculative, La Gazzetta dello Sport (reported by Paolo Filisetti) collected all the rumours that emerged about next year’s car, sector by sector:

Front end: “It should be characterized by a flat nose that descends towards the front up to the level of the main profile of the wing, effectively dividing it into two sections.”

https://www.ruetir.com/wp-content/uplo ... engine.jpg

[note: is it just me or does this show the ‘mid wing Ferrari pioneered in 2017 and which has since made its way onto every car? Pretty sure that won’t be possible in 2022]

Chassis: “It will maintain a deep lower ‘hole’ with the driver’s position similar to the current one, with the central divergent that will direct the lower air flow towards the large lateral Venturi channels.”

Radiators: “Different inclination compared to the current ones, while maintaining the high position of the air intakes of the sides”.

Flanks: “They will shrink a lot, respecting the regulatory limits of Chassis volumes.”

Constant height: “Although simplified by regulation, with only two shock absorbers and torsion bars on each axle, the suspensions must ensure as much as possible a constant ground clearance between the front and rear, in favor of the car’s aerodynamic efficiency.”

Transmission: “It will be totally new with a box that will incorporate the front attachment points of the triangles, while the rear arms should be pivoted on the deformable carbon structure.”

Power unit: “It will consist of an endothermic unit with an innovative combustion chamber design defined on the basis of the new fuel specifications that include 10% ethanol. This would be a reasoned evolution of the ‘super fast’ concept with pre-combustion chamber, to speed up the flame propagation times, optimizing the combustion of the air / fuel mixture.”

Development: “The first aerodynamic evolutions are already being studied to be introduced in the tests in Bahrain (10-12 March).”

Aren't these protruding elements of bargebaords outright banned for the new regs?

f1316
f1316

Right exactly, that’s what I meant when I referenced the ‘mid wing’. I don’t believe it will be possible to have this kind of sidepod arrangement next year (someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) so not sure why it was included here.

jumpingfish

• The E10 fuel is considered to cost 80hp in the adapted 2021 PU version.
(A source close to Honda said that it is "rather enviable if Ferrari had managed to contain the deficit to just 20hp, as Binotto hinted in previous interviews")
• Ferrari, with the support of a new exclusive supplier, has developed ultra-lightweight parts (PU). A very interesting objective is the significant weight reduction of the power unit.
• The weight reduction was something risky in terms of reliability but it is capable of producing a possible advantage, difficult to copy by the opponents.
• Current status is that the engine fire-up is being defined: Binotto is personally defining the final aspects.
• According to reports, the most likely date for the new car presentation is 16.02. but we might not see (all of) the "original" parts of the new car.

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-674-ha- ... r-leggera/

=D> Good news

lio007

I thought the weight of PU's is defined by the regulations and all manufacturers are already operating at this limit aren't they?

Mattchu

5.5 Mass and centre of gravity
5.5.1 The overall mass of the power unit must be a minimum of 150kg.
5.5.2 The centre of gravity of the power unit must be above Z=200.
5.5.3 The total mass of the part of the ES that stores energy, i.e. the cells (including any clamping
plates) and electrical connections between cells, must be no less than 20kg and must not
exceed 25kg.
5.5.4 The mass of a piston (with piston-pin, piston-pin retainers and piston rings) may not be less
than 300g.
5.5.5 The mass of a connecting rod (with fasteners, small and big end bearings) may not be less
than 300g.
5.5.6 The mass of the complete crankshaft assembly between the mid positions of the front and
rear main bearing journals (including balance masses, bolts, bungs, O-rings between the
boundaries), may not be less than 5300g. See drawing 1 in Appendix 2.
5.5.7 When establishing conformity with Articles 5.5.1, 5.5.2 and Appendix 4 of these Regulations,
the homologated power unit perimeter will be defined in accordance with the table shown in
Appendix 3 of these regulations.
Maybe Ferrari were quite a bit over the minimum weight and the others were closer to 150kg

I`m certainly hopeful Ferrari design a decent engine for 2022, 3 (if not 4) teams/engines having similar outputs would really put the cat amongst the pigeons...

tummalakoushik
tummalakoushik

Mattchu wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 23:26
5.5.3 The total mass of the part of the ES that stores energy, i.e. the cells (including any clamping
plates) and electrical connections between cells, must be no less than 20kg and must not
exceed 25kg.
5.5.4 The mass of a piston (with piston-pin, piston-pin retainers and piston rings) may not be less
than 300g.
5.5.5 The mass of a connecting rod (with fasteners, small and big end bearings) may not be less
than 300g.
5.5.6 The mass of the complete crankshaft assembly between the mid positions of the front and
rear main bearing journals (including balance masses, bolts, bungs, O-rings between the
5.5.7 When establishing conformity with Articles 5.5.1, 5.5.2 and Appendix 4 of these Regulations,
the homologated power unit perimeter will be defined in accordance with the table shown in
Maybe Ferrari were quite a bit over the minimum weight and the others were closer to 150kg

I`m certainly hopeful Ferrari design a decent engine for 2022, 3 (if not 4) teams/engines having similar outputs would really put the cat amongst the pigeons...
Aren't performance upgrades locked in after 2021? and only reliability updates are permitted?

Stu

Mattchu wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 23:26
exceed 25kg.
than 300g.
than 300g.

There is also the option of building lighter than the 150kg and adding ballast (but the amount is also regulated - ?this much? - and the CoG ruling still applies; the rest of the engine architecture would determine exactly where it can be located).
In the case of Mercedes and Honda, I wonder how they determine/differentiate between turbo mass & ICE mass as the turbo mounting (and hardware) is, structurally, part of the ICE?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

zioture
zioture

Very interesting video that explains step by step, the 2022 regulation complete with an official FIA CAD model Turn on subtitles and choose english translation on youtube

Mattchu

Stu wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 08:54
There is also the option of building lighter than the 150kg and adding ballast (but the amount is also regulated - ?this much? - and the CoG ruling still applies; the rest of the engine architecture would determine exactly where it can be located).
In the case of Mercedes and Honda, I wonder how they determine/differentiate between turbo mass & ICE mass as the turbo mounting (and hardware) is, structurally, part of the ICE?
From Appendix 3:

Ballast mounted on the PU up to 2kg. This is permitted (subject to Article 4.4) but any in excess of 2kg will be removed before measuring PU mass. I don`t think the regulators care about seperate components (turbo, etc) unless they are listed as long as the total mass for the whole PU including batteries is over 150kg

So 2kg max, not much really.
tummalakoushik wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 00:28
Aren't performance upgrades locked in after 2021? and only reliability updates are permitted?
The next engine put forward for hmologation is the one that can only have reliabilty upgrades so it hasn`t happened yet. The latest it can be is March 1st if I recall correctly, so someone can still make changes during/after 1st testing...

Stu

Mattchu wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 19:31
Stu wrote:
From Appendix 3:

Ballast mounted on the PU up to 2kg. This is permitted (subject to Article 4.4) but any in excess of 2kg will be removed before measuring PU mass. I don`t think the regulators care about seperate components (turbo, etc) unless they are listed as long as the total mass for the whole PU including batteries is over 150kg

tummalakoushik wrote:
The next engine put forward for hmologation is the one that can only have reliabilty upgrades so it hasn`t happened yet. The latest it can be is March 1st if I recall correctly, so someone can still make changes during/after 1st testing...
Thanks @Maatchu, I knew that I had seen it, but couldn’t find it when I looked this morning.
As you say, 2kg is not much, but a great deal was made of Mercedes bringing the ‘spicy’ engine to Brazil, with its heavy gaskets (630g); it looks as though everything counts!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

BassVirolla

Mattchu wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 19:31
Stu wrote:
From Appendix 3:

tummalakoushik wrote:
Of course, you can do an engine & gearbox as light as you want or can, and increase the thickness of the crankcase in the nearest section to the fuel cell. And it will be ICE, and not ballast.

zioture
zioture

Very interesting video that explains step by step, the 2022 regulation, Turn on subtitles and choose english translation on youtube

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

lio007 wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 22:11
I thought the weight of PU's is defined by the regulations and all manufacturers are already operating at this limit aren't they?
You thought correctly