McLaren MCL36 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: McLaren MCL36 Speculation Thread

Another render that blindly replicates the FOM showcar fugly sidepods style... but at least he changed the rollhoop intake. 1/10

_cerber1

Information appeared on Twitter that McLaren will be shown MCL36 on February 14. Not officially.

Giando

Isn't the shape of the huge rounded airscoop in the picture of the MCL36 chassis conceptually similar to the one on the Toro Rosso STR12 from 2017? Wasn't that a James Key project, aswell?

That said, the huge intake in that area, suggested me something: maybe to make the largest possible room for the venturi underbody with 2022 regulations, it could be wise to move some of the coolings under the engine cover, like Renault already did with their 'elephant' bodywork last year... would that be a possible pattern for this season's cars?

jjn9128

Giando wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 17:04
Isn't the shape of the huge rounded airscoop in the picture of the MCL36 chassis conceptually similar to the one on the Toro Rosso STR12 from 2017? Wasn't that a James Key project, aswell?

That said, the huge intake in that area, suggested me something: maybe to make the largest possible room for the venturi underbody with 2022 regulations, it could be wise to move some of the coolings under the engine cover, like Renault already did with their 'elephant' bodywork last year... would that be a possible pattern for this season's cars?
Intake looks a little smaller than last year.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Giando wrote:

It’s a possibility… Although, the 2022 intake opening is smaller (slimmer) than the 2021 intake, so I don’t think it’s a sign of any major changes in their cooling layout

Giando

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 17:11
Giando wrote:

It’s a possibility… Although, the 2022 intake opening is smaller (slimmer) than the 2021 intake, so I don’t think it’s a sign of any major changes in their cooling layout
Why that seems much bigger to me, ahah? :D :?:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Giando wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 17:14
SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 17:11
Giando wrote:

Why that seems much bigger to me, ahah? :D :?:
If you use the impact bars in the roll hoop as a reference, the picture in the link seems to indicate that the intake opening is slimmer (less width), potentially a bit taller than the current one, but apparently smaller overall:

viewtopic.php?p=1024482#p1024482

Blackout

Giando wrote:
It's conceptually more similar to the 2021 MCL airscoop, which is inspired by the Merc airscoop. Merc was one of the first teams to use this specific design (2016), the triangle inside an ellipse... the triangle being the real metallic roll-hoop, while the ellipse is carbon fiber bodywork. The triangle feeding the engine, while the half circles feed the radiators.
And all their customers followed this design.
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 00:11
Roll hoop slimmer than in the MCL35M and seemingly taller:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That said, the huge intake in that area, suggested me something: maybe to make the largest possible room for the venturi underbody with 2022 regulations, it could be wise to move some of the coolings under the engine cover
Mclaren already do this, (using a "centerline cooling system" i.e moving as many coolers from the sidepods to the engine cover). Almost all teams do now.
viewtopic.php?p=1023935#p1023935
Renault already did with their 'elephant' bodywork last year... would that be a possible pattern for this season's cars?
The Alpine is a very special case. Not the best reference. The reason they had an elephant engine cover is more complicated.
But this trend will continue for sure.

Giando

Blackout wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 18:13
Giando wrote:
It's conceptually more similar to the 2021 MCL airscoop, which is inspired by the Merc airscoop. Merc was one of the first teams to use this specific design (2016), the triangle inside an ellipse... the triangle being the real metallic roll-hoop, while the ellipse is carbon fiber bodywork. The triangle feeding the engine, while the half circles feed the radiators.
And all their customers followed this design.
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 00:11
Roll hoop slimmer than in the MCL35M and seemingly taller:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202201 ... 29ed48.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was referring more to the large oval-rounded shape which in my opinion is more similar to the Toro Rosso of 2017 (yes, clearly inspired by the W07, at the time...) but maybe we need to see the full layout... it could be an optical effect of the particular picture McLaren released.
That said, the huge intake in that area, suggested me something: maybe to make the largest possible room for the venturi underbody with 2022 regulations, it could be wise to move some of the coolings under the engine cover
Mclaren already do this, (using a "centerline cooling system" i.e moving as many coolers from the sidepods to the engine cover). Almost all teams do now.
viewtopic.php?p=1023935#p1023935

Yes i do know that, of course... i was just suggesting that maybe we will see an enhancement of this choice due to aero-reasons
Renault already did with their 'elephant' bodywork last year... would that be a possible pattern for this season's cars?
The Alpine is a very special case. Not the best reference. The reason they had an elephant engine cover is more complicated.
But this trend will continue for sure.
Yes i have seen the internal ducts inside the Alpine engine cover. I guess they choose that layout also to try to have narrower sidepods, they seemed to me a little less wider than others when seen from above or in front view. We'll see 8) .

Emag
Emag

A fairly reliable source has confirmed that Ferrari has gone with a pull rod front suspension as well.

Since both Ferrari and McLaren have seemingly found the same solution, one has to assume it will probably be a popular choice next year.

Nevertheless, I am still somewhat nervous about this choice. Last time McLaren had a pull rod front suspension (2013), things did not go so well.

FW17

As people are discussing the front suspension as a pull rod system, will there be benifit of placing the entire system closer to the middle cockpit bulkhead rather than the front bulkhead?

We see at the rears where the rod is brought forward almost beyond the rear wheel line, so can the same be done at front bring it to where the cockpit rises?

Won't there be even more benifit of placing it even lower in terms of CG?

_cerber1

Emag wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 11:41
A fairly reliable source has confirmed that Ferrari has gone with a pull rod front suspension as well.

Since both Ferrari and McLaren have seemingly found the same solution, one has to assume it will probably be a popular choice next year.

Nevertheless, I am still somewhat nervous about this choice. Last time McLaren had a pull rod front suspension (2013), things did not go so well.
This may be the only choice for all teams as the new wheels have become larger and heavier, then the damping elements that serve them also increase in size, it is possible to place these elements in the top simply will not work or it will be extremely unprofitable due to the large weight.

Stu

FW17 wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 11:49
As people are discussing the front suspension as a pull rod system, will there be benifit of placing the entire system closer to the middle cockpit bulkhead rather than the front bulkhead?

We see at the rears where the rod is brought forward almost beyond the rear wheel line, so can the same be done at front bring it to where the cockpit rises?

Won't there be even more benifit of placing it even lower in terms of CG?

https://i.imgur.com/9sYXbGa.png
That is the only way that I can see it being practical to go for pull-rods, placing the springs/dampers in the new ‘keel’ section.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

Food for thought.
Perhaps we’re all looking at the pull rod design in a historical context.
As the cars will need a stable aero platform to seal the new underbody, are we actually mistaken to call what appears to be pull rod suspension, a pull rod suspension?
If the damper action is reversed, and the rebound valving is now the dominant force as was done in nascar to enable the car to be pulled to the ground and maintain a more consistent ride height on the banking, then what appears as a pull rod set up, is actually an inverted push rod set up?

FW17

I don't think what I suggested is possible under the safety regulations as the entire suspension assambly has to be in front of the drivers foot.