Renault R24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Lightning McQueen
Lightning McQueen
0
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:29 pm
Location: Italy

Renault R24

Post

Today Renault have launched its new car the R24.
Looks more refined than its predecessor.

Guest
Guest
0

Post

'tis a magnificent lookin' machine. It's aerodynamic merits are discussed on:

viewtopic.php?t=433

Guest
Guest
0

Post


Irvingthien
Irvingthien
0
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:40 am

Post

The engine cover reminds me of the 1995 McLaren MP4-10.
Image
The colour on the car really sux...sky blue with yellow and dark blue....yuck. :x

Carbon
Carbon
5
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post

And I thought the Williams had interesting aero features. The new Renault is fresh from nose to tail, filled with innovative features. The side pods and the rear wing bring some novell thinking. If the engine develops adequate power, Flavio may find himself close to the top step at the end of the season.

User avatar
Steven
Owner
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:32 pm
Location: Belgium

Post

If that is actually the case, I suspect they will not even move to a 90° engine in 2005.
If it proves to be succesfull, the more compact layout may be again important, more than the CofG, since other parts are also becoming lighter, and therefore allowing ballast in the bottom, to compensate for that.

siztenboots
siztenboots
0
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Post

As previously mention , the *all new* R24 looks fresh from nose to tail.

For sure those sidepods look very busy from an aero pov. However, I shall reserve judgement on their choice of downforce/drag compromise until I see some straight line speed trap figures.

KJ
KJ
0

Post

siztenboots wrote:As previously mention , the *all new* R24 looks fresh from nose to tail.

For sure those sidepods look very busy from an aero pov. However, I shall reserve judgement on their choice of downforce/drag compromise until I see some straight line speed trap figures.
But if the Renault engine is down on power again this year (which I expect it to be, although not to the extent it was down on power last year), how will you know if the low trap speeds are due to poor aero efficiency, lack of engine power or short gearing?

I think the R24 looks like a winner, and I'm hoping Renault have been able to develop a powerful AND reliable motor for this year. Since they made it clear from the beginning of last season that they were going to abandon the wideangle V10 and go with a more conventional angle V10, I'm hoping they had enough time to develop this engine to the standards of their competitors. If so, I think Renault will be able to snatch quite a few podium positions this year.

- KJ

dumrick
dumrick
0
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: Portugal

Post

Carbon wrote:And I thought the Williams had interesting aero features. The new Renault is fresh from nose to tail, filled with innovative features. The side pods and the rear wing bring some novell thinking. If the engine develops adequate power, Flavio may find himself close to the top step at the end of the season.
The sidepods are an evolution of the R23 concept, with the help of the additional room provided by the more compact layout of the narrow-V engine.
The rear wing is exactly like one of the versions used on the R23 (seen first time in practice in the French GP, if I'm not mistaken), with larger endplates and only two planes (2004 rules).
What is original in Renault is that they are the only, so far, not using the full allowed width of the rear wing endplates in its upper section. This way, the top plane of the wing is exactly like last year's (even in its interaction with the endplates).

siztenboots
siztenboots
0
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Post

dumrick wrote:
Carbon wrote:And I thought the Williams had interesting aero features. The new Renault is fresh from nose to tail, filled with innovative features. The side pods and the rear wing bring some novell thinking. If the engine develops adequate power, Flavio may find himself close to the top step at the end of the season.
The sidepods are an evolution of the R23 concept, with the help of the additional room provided by the more compact layout of the narrow-V engine.
The rear wing is exactly like one of the versions used on the R23 (seen first time in practice in the French GP, if I'm not mistaken), with larger endplates and only two planes (2004 rules).
What is original in Renault is that they are the only, so far, not using the full allowed width of the rear wing endplates in its upper section. This way, the top plane of the wing is exactly like last year's (even in its interaction with the endplates).
Rear wing observations
The bottom horizontal element that attaches to the gearbox, has a V shape ( when viewed from above ). This is presumably as a result from the engine/gearbox packaging revisions. The curved trailing edges of the final top element, seem to be a theme amongst this years designs. Is this to prevent the vortex from being created = <drag ?

Also, sidepods, I would say chimneys is a bad expression. Whereas when these were seen on the McLaren, they did indeed have a function to vent. The R24 sidepod verticals at first glance seem to be there to pre-stage air flow for some later aero function.

User avatar
NickT
2
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:47 am
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Post

CHIMNEYS PLUGGED.

This time of year the outside temperature is relatively low so cooling requirements are less. Plugging the dhimneys reduces the cooling capacity of the system allowing it to run hotter. I may sound crazy but running an engine too cool can be very damaging as tolerances change with lower temperature.

A lot of the engine machining operations are now carried out at working temperature so that running tolerances are much closer. The engine therefore has to stay within a carefully defined temperature range during operation.

Hope that helps
NickT