BMW Sauber F1.08

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Principessa

BMW Sauber F1.08

Wow! The BMW Sauber F1.08 looks completeley different than the F1.07! Many new parts and winglets! Front wing looks pretty cool too!

(News, Pictures and Development blogs will follow as soon as possible! Keep checking the site)

ben_watkins

Re: New F1.08

Not sure all the new little wings/flipups and other aero devices sound that great.. I've yet to see it, but everyone has been congratulating the new more simple clean looking Toyota... so I wonder how people will recieve the "tricked up" new BMW?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

MrT
MrT

It looks pretty good doesn't it!

Principessa

I'm watching the livestream (too bad without sound as I'm at school)

MrT
MrT

yeah me too.... would be nice to see some static pictures though, keep looking at bits and the camera cuts away to a very bored looking Nick H, on the live stream!

Steven
Owner

Am I the only one here who is not very impressed then?

The nose cone now look a bit like the McLaren of 2005 while the front wing is.. euh strange :) Other than that, I can see some new things:

- wheel fairings
- midwing connects between flipup winglets
- oil cooler air inlet at sides of engine cover
- smaller sidepod panel with added winglet on the inside
- bigger shark gills

I must admit though that the sidepods look very low with the engine exhausts protruding high above them.

Sawtooth-spike

Not seen any great pictures yet.

I think it looks ok, but it does seem to lack anything to make it stand out. The new wing?????? or as tomba called it the 2005 mclarren wing, does not look like anything new.

its does look smoother and there has been some work on the side pods.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

checkered

Edit: OK, as pics are fast becoming available (On F1T as well), I removed these ... I don't want to clutter the thread.

Sorry to post

pictures, I try and not do that too often ... I just thought this was as good a time as any. Images linked from F1grandprix.it.
Last edited by checkered on 14 Jan 2008, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sawtooth-spike

Great pictures checkered Thanks

Didnt see that mid wing thing they have done!

There front Hubs look really odd! like they have a round square corner on them. Maybe its just my eyes.

I cant see the oil cooler you were talking about tomba
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

MrT
MrT

The front wing appears pretty aggressive, if not new. Chimneys look neat, Can't see much suspension geometry change. The sidepods look extremley good to me, very slender at the rear with minimal bodywork over the gearbox. Nothing that is completly radical I agree, but to me looks like a good evolution of the previous car with some nice detailing...

manchild

I think this is the most innovative car of all launched so far.

3-blade front wing, yes, but look how it is attached to nose. Not via first blade like on Mclaren in 2005 but via second element.

Fairings yes, but completely different than ones on other cars. Observe the front ones closely. They are not rounded but overlapping rim and at one point (looks like outer inlet and very smooth outlet).

Full span mid wing connecting engine cover, flip ups and chimneys.

Extremely tuned sidepods, mid to rear end is completely new. They've apparently done more aero work than Ferrari and Mclaren together. No wonder having in mind their previous investments in supercomputers.

Keir

Keir

I agree with manchild, the more I look at the new details the more intersting it gets. One suspects that the F1.08 bears the fruits of BMW's investment in CFD.

The mid wing integrated with the chimneys I find particuarly interesting. I suspect there may be more to this with regards to high speed stall than initially meets the eye.

Interesting also, (if I'm not wrong), that they appear to have also adopted 'L shaped' barge boards attached to the keel just as McLaren abandon them with the 23?

axle

The rear cover looks so small with a big undercut (maybe thanks to the small sidepods)...I don't think this car will suffer as much as some in strong winds.

Williams are supposed to have a huge amount of computing power at their disposal will be interesting to see how that's affected their car.

F1.08 looks the part to me...looks more advanced than some.
- Axle

manchild

Yeah, just compare how hollow BMW rear end is relative to Ferrari!