Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
roost89
roost89

Re: Red Bull RB5

Red Bull may use KERS at Spa.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77865

It's use will be evaluated after this weekend. So it may be used.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

fenix4life
fenix4life

pushing the kers button on eau rouge - redillon would be nice to see and very benefic on the straight

brawn will not be able to introduce KERS this year. The car is a bit too heavy for it with the latest modifications

djos

That is good news, that should really help RedBull at Monza too! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

djos wrote:That is good news, that should really help RedBull at Monza too! =D>
Weren't you against kERS and called it a "cheat" button?

If they were interested in using it at SPA I would have thought they would have tested it at free practice in Valancia

Giblet
Giblet

Anything is OK as long as your team is using it to win right?

(Depressing sarcasm lock key...........now)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Ummm... is WhiteBlue banned again?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

megz

It couldn't hurt.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:
djos wrote:That is good news, that should really help RedBull at Monza too! =D>
Weren't you against kERS and called it a "cheat" button?

If they were interested in using it at SPA I would have thought they would have tested it at free practice in Valancia
Yep, I certainly have made no secret of my dislike for Mad Max's blatant attempt at green-washing F1.

However, for Mark to win the WDC it's clear that he needs KERS to a/ keep in front of the Macca's and Ferrari & b/ to keep the Brawns behind him.

If Newey has been able to integrate KERS into the RB5 without ruining the balance and tunability then theyd be crazy not to fit it for the next few races at the very least.

I wonder if the RB promotional video showing the battery placed under the fuel tank behind the driver is still accurate?
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

the RB5 was designed from jump to accommodate KERS, but they should maybe look into shortening the wheelbase like the Mclaren.

It has nothing to do with green-washing, it has to do with reintroducing cutting edge, relevant technology back into F1, I have no doubt that a 2L 4 Turbo'd banger with unlimited KERS could easily beat today's current cars, and even moreso with the refueling ban next year.... but we are stuck with the same cars for the next 4 years.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:the RB5 was designed from jump to accommodate KERS, but they should maybe look into shortening the wheelbase like the Mclaren.

It has nothing to do with green-washing, it has to do with reintroducing cutting edge, relevant technology back into F1, I have no doubt that a 2L 4 Turbo'd banger with unlimited KERS could easily beat today's current cars, and even moreso with the refueling ban next year.... but we are stuck with the same cars for the next 4 years.
I thought they had already shortened the RB5 wheelbase?

It's hardly cutting edge when it's so severely restrained - if Max had merely imposed an energy storage limit it would be a lot more interesting but the 6 seconds per lap rule is just dumb!
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

djos wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:the RB5 was designed from jump to accommodate KERS, but they should maybe look into shortening the wheelbase like the Mclaren.

It's hardly cutting edge when it's so severely restrained - if Max had merely imposed an energy storage limit it would be a lot more interesting but the 6 seconds per lap rule is just dumb!
It was not Max who restricted it... it was Ferrari and maybe McLaren... blame them.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:
djos wrote:

It was not Max who restricted it... it was Ferrari and maybe McLaren... blame them.
Proof?

Back to the RB5, CH came out at the GP and declared KERS is not going to be installed in their car this season.

Shame as it would have made things a bit more interesting, but at least Spa should really suit the RB5.
"In downforce we trust"

Vasco

I don't think its gonna be that easy for red bull to fit KERS in and hope to go faster...i mean look at ferrari and malaren...took them about 6 months to get competitive. To be honest...they should stick with aero development for the rest of the season. I think they can still make better use of the DDD.

JamesS
JamesS

IMO if they bolted kers onto their car it would cause them sever problems. They have limited experience with it.

Richard
Richard

I'm surprised there is no discussionof Vettel's engines in here.

Why has he blown so many more than anyone else with the same power unit? Is it luck, or have RB done something with the way it is packaged and linked to the drive train that causes additonal thermal or mechanical stresses?

My other thought is that (with hindsight) it might be better to have a team quota for engines. That gives them a chance to smooth out any problems due to bad luck with one driver, but maintains the same number of units used. The downside is that some teams would give the number 1 driver a new engine nearly every race, the number 2 driver would have to make his engines last longer, or use second hand engines passed down from the number 1.

On balance, I'd rather avoid the Schumacher/Barrichello/Irvine issues and stick with the existing rules.

Anyway, back to my main point, is there any reason why Vettel blowing so many engines?