Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sh^rkbo0ts
sh^rkbo0ts

Re: Red Bull RB5

The less-than-full-width diffuser reminds me of the '91-'92 Jordan.

Last edited by sh^rkbo0ts on 09 Feb 2009, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Scarbs has done a nice analysis of the car at Autosport.com

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73191
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

djos wrote:from what i've been reading, this panel that forms part of the "tail" can be removed for extra cooling when needed:

Intresting, could there be shark gills put in there for this purpose as they are close to the cars centre line???

One thing i have a concern about is the exaust location to where the suspension is, shurley the hot gasses could make the suspension fail???

The front wing is a thing of beauty so far, i think the front end is the best looking aesthetically so far.

Moanlower

Does anyone have an idea what the exhaust gas temperature is, measured near the suspension arm ?

I guess it won't be that high when measuring the temp on the suspension arm considering the speed of the car and the distance between the exhaust.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

xpensive
xpensive

My guess is that suspension arm has som kind of coating, possibly the same black stuff as the bodywork around.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

slimjim8201 wrote:Two totally different approaches to the rear suspension...

My initial thought as well.

Very good way to lower the c.g.

I also noticed the separation of the steering rod to upper wisebone at the front - usually they are connected to improve the straightening effect of the front suspension on the front wing wake....

But without a cambered front wing centre, Newey must feel its better to go for the c.g. centric approach - separate the two and pack the dampers etc a bit lower.

Shaddock

The suspension appears to be a no keel design but not technically zero keel. Ferrari did similar with the F2007 below with blisters on the lower nose.

The exhaust itself can reach about 900C (glows red) the gas when it exits would be 500C+

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:My guess is that suspension arm has som kind of coating, possibly the same black stuff as the bodywork around.
The suspension arm (at least the structural bit) is CFRP ->

http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_179.jpg

There is a shroud around the inner part of it - I would imagine it is a ceramic of sorts.

No point putting titanium there as the heat will eventually transfer through to the CF wishbone.

vyselegend

Renault have so much bulges/ side extentions design for KERS implementation and cooling... And now this tight beauty is going to store the very same package with so much more elegance!

It's really the tale of the beauty and the beast, Let's hope for Symmonds that the R29 isn't totally dominated by the RB5, 'cause the hummiliation would be double!

I'm looking forward a great year for Red Bull, hoping Mark will take Vettel seriously and really give the best. RBR and STR are more and more interresting teams to whatch, definitly playing in the top court, with very competent technical teams and very exiting driver line-ups!

The weather predictions are for a dry week in Jerez, after the dismal conditions of portimao everyone will want to maximize this test session, there will be lots of hard work in Spain!

xpensive
xpensive

So what is the black stuff on the bodywork then?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual
Conceptual

In this photo: Image There seems to be an odd recess on top of the nose where the pitot tube is.

Can anyone explain how this would be a benefit, and how it doesnt violate the 75mm rule?

Thanks!

Moanlower

When judging by the looks as a Renault fan, I must confess the RBR5 wins it by miles against the R29. Luckely there's much more to it than looks and noticeable innovative changes. I believe Redbull will use the same gearbox as in 2008 while Renault improved it, made it lighter and more compact. This will probably give them a slight advantage when it comes to pure mechanical grip which will be very important.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Shaddock

They have just raised the sides of the nose to create a tunnel effect. It also has the smallest nose of the 2009 cars so far.

Fil

Moanlower wrote:I believe Redbull will use the same gearbox as in 2008..
well the driveline package is bought from Renault, so the assumption would be its the same as what Renault are using. RB are definitely getting the uprated engine, the Renault/Magnetti Marelli KERS, and i would assume the gearbox internals that go with the driveline package.
add to that, i'm pretty sure Newey said the gearbox casing has been redesigned. and it'd have to be with their fascinating new rear suspension layout.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

rjsa
rjsa

Conceptual wrote:In this photo: Image There seems to be an odd recess on top of the nose where the pitot tube is.

Can anyone explain how this would be a benefit, and how it doesnt violate the 75mm rule?

Thanks!
The 75mm rules apply after the new mirror mount/wing. Ahead of that there is no such constraint.

The "prost nose" looks to me like structurally functional, adding cross section and moment of inertia to vertical load right by the suspention mount, which is the pivot point for the downforce sustained by the nose. That nose is really slim.