Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

PlatinumZealot

Re: Force India VJM02

The nose is very important as it determines the deceleration in a crash..
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Giblet
Giblet

czt wrote:
Giblet wrote: You have to crash test every new nose? I've never heard that before.

I thought the safety cell and chassis had to pass tests, not the flimsy shell that constitutes the nose. They aren't structural parts of the car.
The nose is the forward crash structure to protect the chassis and therefore the drivers legs! There are also a pair of side impact tubes on each side of the car, the main roll hoop and then the rear impact structure which is mounted to the gearbox.

The nose will normally have a non structural cap forward of the pillars, but it will mostly be structural.

Video showing front crash test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2H_leY_Q8k
I never knew that, thanks.

I knew about crash test at the beginning of the season. I guess that is why Bob K. still has feet :)
Before I do anything I ask myself β€œWould an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

astracrazy
astracrazy

Monza front wing

PNSD
PNSD

I imagine with a few peices missing

scarbs
scarbs

The flap is missing, but the narrower cascade winglet is new

wesley123
wesley123

im pretty sure they aint gonna run it that way...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

astracrazy
astracrazy

ye thinking about it....silly me lol

Nah i was always on about the narrower cascade winglet :roll:

Shrek
Shrek

i would think that would actually be better than no/full wing
Spencer

zac510
zac510

I can't remember a mid-season rise through the grid like this in many years of watching F1. It must be more than just a new front wing!
No good turn goes unpunished.

PlatinumZealot

Low downforce tracks is the best bet.. but lets wait and see how it runs for the rest of the season.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Scotracer
Scotracer

It looks like the VJM02 is a good car but just lacked downforce. On a circuit where downforce isn't key, it shines.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I suspect the engine is probably more the reason, but yes it would seem mechanically the car is very good, but lets not forget mechanically its very similar to the McLaren since they are supplying more than just engines...

wesley123
wesley123

yep, i think too, the mercedes engine seems to have alot of power in the higher revs, wich explains the high top speeds and also explains why the top 7 is filled with all the mercedes powered teams.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vasia
vasia

Scotracer wrote:It looks like the VJM02 is a good car but just lacked downforce. On a circuit where downforce isn't key, it shines.
If it lacks downforce, how is it a good car? Using that logic, almost every car on the grid is "good" in some way.

So far, the FI cars have only been fast at Spa and now Monza, the two lowest-downforce tracks on the calender, where low downforce, low drag, and engine power are essential. Is this a coincidence; I think not. Monza and Spa are not your typical F1 tracks at all.

If FI can finish on the podium in Singapore or say Suzuka, then we can say they have a good car.

Paul

I think that any F1 car that allows a driver to finish on the podium at any racetrack thanks to raw speed and not pure luck is a good car...