Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
majicmeow
majicmeow
-1
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Paul,

Not sure about the RB6, but I remember Trulli saying in Melbourne in 08 that the battery of the TF108 was under his seat. Im sure that would be a popular place due to the low CoG and keeping it out of the relative heat.

-Aaron

User avatar
PaulB
72
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Okay, that's possible. Here a picture of the RB4 Cockpit. Two lines are comeing out of the tube and one from under the seat. At first I thought this is the line to/from the ECU, but that device seemed to be in the right sidepod...

Image
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

User avatar
zgred
15
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Image

Owen.C93
Owen.C93
146
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Looks like the F-Duct goes around the right-hand side 0_o
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

User avatar
djos
164
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

I wonder if the pic has been mirrored? Im sure i've seen the fuel filler on the left side of the car as well?
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93
146
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

djos wrote:I wonder if the pic has been mirrored? Im sure i've seen the fuel filler on the left side of the car as well?
Label on the mechanics arm seems fine.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

User avatar
djos
164
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Owen.C93 wrote:
djos wrote:I wonder if the pic has been mirrored? Im sure i've seen the fuel filler on the left side of the car as well?
Label on the mechanics arm seems fine.
Good pickup. 8)
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Arunas
Arunas
4
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Owen.C93 wrote:Looks like the F-Duct goes around the right-hand side 0_o
How can they operate that in RH side?

User avatar
PaulB
72
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Graz/Austria

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

Arunas wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Looks like the F-Duct goes around the right-hand side 0_o
How can they operate that in RH side?

I also saw that. I'm a little bit irritated. I know, that the controll pipe is left hand sidde in the cockpit. Where do they lead the line from the right to the left hand side?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

Arunas
Arunas
4
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

zgred wrote:Image
Here is also clearly visible ducting on RH side, can not find pics of LH...

User avatar
forty-two
0
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

PaulB wrote:
Arunas wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Looks like the F-Duct goes around the right-hand side 0_o
How can they operate that in RH side?

I also saw that. I'm a little bit irritated. I know, that the controll pipe is left hand sidde in the cockpit. Where do they lead the line from the right to the left hand side?
Possibly what we're seeing here is the DEFAULT aiflow pipe for the fluidic switch, suggesting that RB have two signal inlets for their F-Duct, one which is always piped straight through to the fluidic switch while the other has the "control hole" in the cockpit.

Some drawings in the "Reducing the drag of a two element wing through stall" thread suggested that a fluidic switch can work like this, or with careful tweaking could be made to work without a secondary signal.

Perhaps RB decided it not too much of a loss to have two lots of ductwork instead of develop a single signal fluidic switch?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

gibells
gibells
9
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:23 pm
Location: Andalucia, Spain

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

It goes to show how having to design it retrospectively compromises the system in comparison to McLaren's. I'd like to see Ferrari's effort.

User avatar
auto saibot
3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

are those white covers permanent? :?:

aral
aral
Moderator
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

auto saibot wrote:are those white covers permanent? :?:
Which white coers? :?: :?: :?:

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Red Bull RB6

Post

forty-two wrote:
Possibly what we're seeing here is the DEFAULT aiflow pipe for the fluidic switch, suggesting that RB have two signal inlets for their F-Duct, one which is always piped straight through to the fluidic switch while the other has the "control hole" in the cockpit.
Very much so. Incidentally we already had a discussion on this some months ago in this very same thread. We were discussing a photo in which we can see the default air inlet poking out under the roof of the right radiator duct. It is the first time I am seeing it uncovered though.
.. ... ... ... ...