2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

haza wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:08
If the season remains like this the championship in both ends is still wide open McLaren and Ferrari have seriously upped their sh*t
I would wait a couple more races before drawing that conclusion. Max’s first stint in Imola was convincingly the fastest, and the second stint was more of an outlier given that he was having issues with getting the hards into the window. He was also comfortably the fastest in Sector 1 here in Monaco, where they were not limited by the stiffness of the car. On more normal, fast flowing tracks those issues will likely be gone and we could then be looking at a 15 second win again. Hope I’m wrong of course, but I wouldn’t get the hopes up just yet.

PlatinumZealot

Spacepace wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:39
They need special compounds for Monaco. I tyre should never last a whole race. Can't they make a soft that is a one lap qualifying tyre then a medium that only lasts 10 laps and a hard that only lasts 30?
They were called hypersofts and ultrasofts. It's a matter of FIA making that call though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:48
hallelujah that's over. 2.5-3 hours of my life I wont get back. 77 lap procession with only 2 overtakes by the near 2 slowest drivers on track. Stroll and Bottas.

Congrats to Charles for finally winning his home GP, first man to do it.

Even 4 seconds a lap difference and 50 lap newer tyres cant see a overtake. Really surprising Monaco is still on the calendar when there's old classics which offer much more racing are getting the boot off the calendar.
Louis Chiron. Look him up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Deliman Cristian
Deliman Cristian

Tsunoda end up to lose 1 lap to leader, even Charles drive soo slow. Alonso drive even slower to help Stroll, but Stroll end in the wall and even manage to recover and do 2 overtake. That slow was the race.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

stephen wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:15
haza wrote:
If the season remains like this the championship in both ends is still wide open McLaren and Ferrari have seriously upped their sh*t
Checo needs to score points consistently. Max would not be able to win the constructors' Championship for Red Bull on his own. Both drivers for McLaren and Ferrari are doing a great job but for Red Bull, Checo ain't doing enough.
Checo has had a history of struggling big-time once the Euro season starts as far back as 2021. Red Bull knew this. Perez hasn't had good form at some of these tracks ever.

The WCC is already lost for Red Bull. There's not a chance that Perez will hang with Piastri or Sainz. Its just a matter of next year. If Red Bull wants to lose the WCC before it even begins yet again.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:05
chrisc90 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:48
hallelujah that's over. 2.5-3 hours of my life I wont get back. 77 lap procession with only 2 overtakes by the near 2 slowest drivers on track. Stroll and Bottas.

Congrats to Charles for finally winning his home GP, first man to do it.

Even 4 seconds a lap difference and 50 lap newer tyres cant see a overtake. Really surprising Monaco is still on the calendar when there's old classics which offer much more racing are getting the boot off the calendar.
Louis Chiron. Look him up.
First driver in F1 history would be accurate. Chiron won in 1931 - before F1 even existed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dialtone
dialtone

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
stephen wrote:
haza wrote:
Checo needs to score points consistently. Max would not be able to win the constructors' Championship for Red Bull on his own. Both drivers for McLaren and Ferrari are doing a great job but for Red Bull, Checo ain't doing enough.
Checo has had a history of struggling big-time once the Euro season starts as far back as 2021. Red Bull knew this. Perez hasn't had good form at some of these tracks ever.

The WCC is already lost for Red Bull. There's not a chance that Perez will hang with Piastri or Sainz. Its just a matter of next year. If Red Bull wants to lose the WCC before it even begins yet again.
Seems a bit dramatic to say WCC is lost already. We can wait until 60-70% of the season to make those kinds of statements.

mwillems

dialtone wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:49
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
stephen wrote:

Seems a bit dramatic to say WCC is lost already. We can wait until 60-70% of the season to make those kinds of statements.
It is a long season and there are plenty of upgrades to come and for the teams to try themselves at different circuit configurations. But if relative performance were to stay similar to what it is, then if Checo doesn't up his game then Red Bull are going to struggle to get another WCC this year. I think it is right to worry, but also that it isn't yet decided.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Spacepace

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:02
Spacepace wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:39
They need special compounds for Monaco. I tyre should never last a whole race. Can't they make a soft that is a one lap qualifying tyre then a medium that only lasts 10 laps and a hard that only lasts 30?
They were called hypersofts and ultrasofts. It's a matter of FIA making that call though.
Even those didn't wear/degrade fast enough

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

How about to create a e-DRS for Monaco only?

Cap the MGU-K at 80bhp unless you are within one second going into the tunnel, and if so, you would be able to use the full power?

bananapeel23

UlleGulle wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:03
How about to create a e-DRS for Monaco only?

Cap the MGU-K at 80bhp unless you are within one second going into the tunnel, and if so, you would be able to use the full power?
Ricciardo won Monaco with a totally broken MGU-K. It isn't enough.

I really think they would need to do something about the traction zone after the hairpin to mitigate the concertina effect when they step on the throttle. If you take the corner at, say, 120kp, a car length gap under traction is a whole lot less than if you take the corner at like 60 or whatever it is now. I guess overtaking into the chicane would be slightly more viable if they managed to open up the corner into the tunnel a bit so they could make the corner faster, only then would e-DRS maybe make a difference.
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 26 May 2024, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

There's no way to fix Monaco from a racing perspective. We just have to get used to the fact that overtaking here is outrageously difficult without some luck.

But I dont think F1 as a whole would hurt from having a 'one mandatory pitsop' rule. That's similar enough to what the point of mandating the use of two different compounds in the race is anyways. That comes with the expectation that there will be at least one stop in the race, but obviously we experience the rare situation here where a red flag ruins that at a track where tire wear is super minimal. Mandate at least one stop every race no matter what and it'll change nothing for basically any other race, while ensuring the rare situation like this still gets a bit of strategy intrigue.

I can think of no downsides.

dialtone
dialtone

Seanspeed wrote:There's no way to fix Monaco from a racing perspective. We just have to get used to the fact that overtaking here is outrageously difficult without some luck.

But I dont think F1 as a whole would hurt from having a 'one mandatory pitsop' rule. That's similar enough to what the point of mandating the use of two different compounds in the race is anyways. That comes with the expectation that there will be at least one stop in the race, but obviously we experience the rare situation here where a red flag ruins that at a track where tire wear is super minimal. Mandate at least one stop every race no matter what and it'll change nothing for basically any other race, while ensuring the rare situation like this still gets a bit of strategy intrigue.

It’s not like normal 1 stop monaco are that exciting anyway. These cars are too big and lack agility, and the tyres burn out too quickly if you tried anyway even here.

Need smaller lighter cars, then it will be fine.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:52
Seanspeed wrote:There's no way to fix Monaco from a racing perspective. We just have to get used to the fact that overtaking here is outrageously difficult without some luck.

It’s not like normal 1 stop monaco are that exciting anyway. These cars are too big and lack agility, and the tyres burn out too quickly if you tried anyway even here.

Nah, even with smaller cars overtaking is just close to impossible.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

dialtone wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:52

No it wont be fine. Y'all have short memories if you think Monaco was ever an exciting race without rain or safety car shenanigans mixing things up.

A mandatory pitstop would at least have created a bit more intrigue than we had this time.

But overall, no, a straightforward race at Monaco is never gonna be thrilling. Again, we cant 'fix' this. Literally cannot do it. It's a straight up inherent characteristic of the Monaco weekend that qualifying is critical because overtaking during the race will be near impossible. It was genuinely no different in the past.