Chinese GP 2012 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr
myurr

Re: Chinese GP 2012 - Shanghai

Maelstrom wrote:It might be possible. Also just might be worry that MGP has a leg up on them.
So lodge the protest. All we've had from them is talk when we've already had two GP where the could have protested the car after scrutineering or after the race. So four opportunities to protest and nothing has happened except more rhetoric.

ArchAngel

myurr wrote:So lodge the protest. All we've had from them is talk when we've already had two GP where the could have protested the car after scrutineering or after the race. So four opportunities to protest and nothing has happened except more rhetoric.
Considering that Merc laid a big fat egg in Australia and got just a measly point in Malaysia, Red Bull & Lotus would've looked like sour-graping bullies had they protested Merc's wingamajig at any time after those races. They'll probably wait again & see first how things turn out in China. In the unlikely event that Merc beats Red Bull & Lotus to the podium, then maybe, just maybe... :wink:

f1316
f1316

It's already been said, but I think Schumi could have a chance for pole; he was only a tenth off in Malaysia, and Shanghai has that mega-straight. Thinking of the F1 2011 video game, I can imagine a few corners where a more stable DRS could come in handy...

I think Merc may still drop back a bit in the race, but I'd be fascinated to see what Schumacher's pace is like in a full, dry race, as it's something we haven't seen yet.

Also would like to see, as he put it, a "normal" race for Raikonnen, as he could also be a contender for pole but with the added benefit of good race pace.

If it does rain though, who'd bet against Alonso once again!

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

f1316 wrote:It's already been said, but I think Schumi could have a chance for pole; he was only a tenth off in Malaysia, and Shanghai has that mega-straight. Thinking of the F1 2011 video game, I can imagine a few corners where a more stable DRS could come in handy...

I think Merc may still drop back a bit in the race, but I'd be fascinated to see what Schumacher's pace is like in a full, dry race, as it's something we haven't seen yet.

Also would like to see, as he put it, a "normal" race for Raikonnen, as he could also be a contender for pole but with the added benefit of good race pace.

If it does rain though, who'd bet against Alonso once again!
Wasn't Australia dry?

myurr
myurr

ajdavison2 wrote:If it does rain though, who'd bet against Alonso once again!
Me :)

Alonso drove brilliantly in a mediocre car but had a huge helping of luck and got the jump on Hamilton and Perez because they were too cautious with their strategy and Button was taken out of contention through a mistake.

So Alonso could do it again but it would be against the odds not a dead cert.

scarlet
scarlet

Everyone will have learn a lot about running intermediates so I doubt the others would be as slow if it was wet/drying again.

Lycoming
Lycoming

f1316 wrote:It's already been said, but I think Schumi could have a chance for pole; he was only a tenth off in Malaysia, and Shanghai has that mega-straight. Thinking of the F1 2011 video game, I can imagine a few corners where a more stable DRS could come in handy...
Which corners? Shanghai doesn't really have a lot of DRSable corners... the only possible candidate is turn 7, but thats not a flat out corner anymore. It may allow them to get it open quicker on the exit of 13, but if they are struggling with downforce levels, which I suspect they are, that may not be the case.

Last year, it was Red Bull with the DRS open through a lot of corners. I was surprised to see Webber going through the first part of Becketts with DRS open, as well as the Schumacher S at nurburgring with the flap open.

Though, I second your comments on seeing Michael's race pace and Kimi having a normal qualifying.

ArchAngel

scarlet wrote:Everyone will have learn a lot about running intermediates so I doubt the others would be as slow if it was wet/drying again.
Having lost out the most on the use of inters in Sepang, I hope Merc manages to make sense of all the collected data now available to them and learn the most out of it.

banibhusan

The Merc will be faster in S3. But S1 and S2 will again be dominated by the McLaren. Even in Malaysia the Merc was equal if not always better to the McLaren in S1 and S3, whereas losing a good 2 to 3 tenths in S2 only where the McLaren was simply superb.

I predict another pole for Hamilton in Shanghai.

raymondu999

banibhusan wrote:I predict another pole for Hamilton in Shanghai.
I predict we're in for a year of quali domination like the last two years! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:
I predict we're in for a year of quali domination like the last two years! :lol:
Quali domination but different race outcome, the new tyre compounds are very soft on the tyre face thus any form of rubbing/curb hoping could end in a puncture.

Also...different race strategies are coming in to play.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

I didn't mention anything about race results...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

I guess now "points for pole position" rule would have come handy for Lewis and McLaren.

scarlet
scarlet

raymondu999 wrote:
Potentially, although RB had a much larger advantage in Q3 last year than Macca have this year. I guess someone will be able to capitalize when (if) both drivers make mistakes, unlike last year with Vettel who could afford to play it a bit safer for pole...

raymondu999

Other than in Barcelona, Melbourne and China, I don't think McLaren will have less of an advantage than Red Bull has last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法