2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SilverArrow10

Re: 2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

roadie wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else noticed the huge amount of Chinese spectators waving flags for other countries over the weekend? Seemed a little strange to me!
There's no Chinese drivers are there. So all the fans in China will have there favourites and will fly that drivers flag. Mostly Kimi from what I have seen.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

absbeginner
absbeginner

roadie wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else noticed the huge amount of Chinese spectators waving flags for other countries over the weekend? Seemed a little strange to me!
The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife

NathanOlder

Not sure if anyone mentioned before, BUT, did we see or hear anything from Pastor Maldonado in the entire race ? He finished 1 place behind Bottas, completed every lap. Where was he?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

NathanOlder wrote:Not sure if anyone mentioned before, BUT, did we see or hear anything from Pastor Maldonado in the entire race ? He finished 1 place behind Bottas, completed every lap. Where was he?
Yeah its a bit weird how some drivers are almost completely non existant in grand prix weekends.

I don't even remember the last time I saw Grosjean outside of his car/in an interview on my TV for instance.

Did Bottas beat him via racing or was there an incident or something?

Also patiently waiting to hear about the half grid of cars that had their DRS open during yellow flag areas.

Vettel got a drive through in Barcelona last year for the exact same thing.

stefan_
stefan_

Bottas passed Maldonado in the penultimate lap.

Fun fact:
F1Zone.net

Alonso's race winning time was 0.016s slower than Rosberg in 2012! 1h36m26.945s to 1h36m26.929s
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

iotar__

stefan_ wrote:Another great drive by Raikkonen, especially saving the car during the Perez incident and putting the Lotus on 2nd place with a damaged FW and nosecone. Don't know what's happening with Grosjean though, 9th is a poor result from him.

Alonso also did a great race, the pace is in the car and they obviously have a good shot at the WDC.
Very good result from Ricciardo too, nice to see him score good points. Bottas beat Maldonado - another good thing.
I feel sorry for Sutil, if it wasn't for that Schuey-like maneuver of Gutierrez it would have been a better result from FI.

All in all it was a good and enjoyable race, not the catastrophy that some predicted it will happen because of the tires.

Post race penalties because of that DRS on yellow flag thing would be stupid.
About Raikkonen disagree:
Lost positions at the start, Perez collision his fault, nothing to be proud of, tyre advantage over Mercedes, being on front of them rather formality. If there are no cars around him he's fine.

About Grosjean agree, very poor but predictable (although I haven't read team's comments about this particular race)
Generally speaking they disadvantaged one driver in an unprecedented manner at this level and results are predictable. Behind with updates in the first and second race of the season and of of course tests, too. I can't recall any team doing that, ever. Now it's all about playing catch-up in every race with very tricky tyres and new variables in every race. And of course policy that only one driver exists still intact. Spending Friday comparing exhausts, when the other driver is working on this particular race, tyres, set-up, how can anything go wrong? Of course "his engineers" all night will be heroically trying to "solve issues" they perfectly know they themselves created. If Lotus don't care about constructor's championship it's their problem.

About tyres disaster bullshit predictions, also predictable. No 5 pitstops, no drama, business as usual. Race was fun and so hopefully will be the whole season, No RB dominance yet. :wink: . It's way too early to say but Alonso should be a favourite. Also: I told you Rosberg wouldn't know what hit him, with Webber it was all too predictable. :wink:

Let's see how tyres situation evolves and who makes passive wing stalling work. On Allen's podcast Allison and Gillian said that last year's differences when it comes to tyres whining and their impact on races between first and second half of the season had little to do with teams figuring how to handle them (as I always thought). It was all about conservative compound choices in the second half. It means that current anti-tyre propaganda, followed by Pirelli lobbying has the same aim. Not to change tyres but to force tyres combination that would suit Merc/RB better. After China we kind of know why, although their problems were rather small compared to the noise they make.

SilverArrow10

Does China change there trophies to match the team that wins there? This years trophy is Ferrari red and last years looked very much PETRONAS green. Probably just a coincidence but I like little things like that.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Teechnical

Guys i missed the Chinese GP, any way I can watch the race highlights or download it for free?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Ral
Ral

Lee McKenzie said no action on DRS-users: https://twitter.com/LeeMcKenzieF1/statu ... 2829383680

Jennie Gow explains there was a 1 minute delay between yellow flag display and teams being informed: https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/323402002937827332

Hail22

WEC announcement during Silverstone event "apparently" that Webber has signed with Porsche for 2014 for 5 years.

Link : http://performanceforums.com/forums/sho ... t841725031

Apparently this was announced 30 minutes ago...random. Let's see if this is a joke/wild goose chase or "genuine news"

Source: http://www.kicker.de/news/formel1/start ... rsche.html

Translation:
His disappointing departure for China Grand Prix in Shanghai was less than three hours ago, came from England early on Sunday afternoon, new reports on the future of Red Bull driver Mark Webber (37): The Australian, British sources say, a five-year contract signed by Porsche.

The Swabian sports car manufacturer Audi to occur from 2014 to intercompany fight on for the win in the WEC Long Distance World Championships and the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans. An Audi spokesman would not confirm the execution of the long awaited transfer conceded, however, that "it is in this direction" could.

Webber has experience in the sports prototypes: He drove before his entry into Formula 1 in the years 1998 and 1999 for Mercedes.
However Andrew Benson has quickly taken to twitter:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

myurr
myurr

Ral wrote:Lee McKenzie said no action on DRS-users: https://twitter.com/LeeMcKenzieF1/statu ... 2829383680

Jennie Gow explains there was a 1 minute delay between yellow flag display and teams being informed: https://twitter.com/JennieGow/status/323402002937827332
That's a cop out by the FIA. They shouldn't need to inform the teams, the yellow flags are on display on the track and the drivers have a duty to be aware of them. The stewards have basically fluffed it because they didn't want to change the podium result or have to punish so many drivers.

LionKing
LionKing

FIA did the right thing:

"The DRS use was on the main straight where a green light was displayed."

Ral
Ral

LionKing wrote:FIA did the right thing:

"The DRS use was on the main straight where a green light was displayed."
Yeah, a couple of mitigating circumstances quoted by the FIA: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106769

NathanOlder

So with all these drivers under investigation, I would imagine the car number that were shown 1,2,7..... and more, WERE spotted using DRS down the back straight where yellow flags should be visable for drivers to see. Correct?

Yet, while the event was unfolding, did we not hear Vettel on team radio saying "he is using DRS" against another driver, to get him penalised possibly?

If this was the case, Vettel knew that DRS should'nt have been used yet he is 1 of many under investigation for using it. So I think it's clear that the drivers knew that DRS was unavailable.

If this is all correct, every driver spotted using it should be handed the standard 20-25 second penalty.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

myurr
myurr

@NathanOlder - I have to agree. This does smack of an FIA cover up, at least to a degree.

Also why was Webber penalised for colliding with the Torro Rosso, but Perez escaped punishment for crowding Raikkonen off the track and causing an incident? I know several people on here have blamed Kimi for that incident but the letter of the law is clear. If a competitor has any part of their car alongside your own, you have to leave them at least a cars width to the edge of the track. This was a new rule introduced last year (I believe). Kimi clearly had at least his front wing and part of his wheel alongside Perez's car, and yet Perez then moved over to the edge of the circuit forcing Kimi off the track. It shouldn't matter whether or not Perez saw him and knew he was there, the rule is clear and he is clearly in breach of it. Did the stewards even look into it? Chandhok's analysis of it on sky said that Perez was clearly in the wrong and he was surprised that he didn't get a penalty.