2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mertol

Re: 2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

Perez doesn't have to check anything. He is in front and can choose his line.

WaikeCU

Re: Williams/Massa lost an easy win today...just bad luck?

If I remembered, the Williams cars were the fastest on the straight, but I feel they just have the worst traction of the Mercedes powered cars. Add to that, Red Bull weren't strong on top speed, but at least they have one of the best traction out of corners. So Massa just couldn't fly by the RB of Vettel like Hamilton did even though the Mercedes' top speed isn't as high as the Williams.

djos

So you've never heard of the concept of giving racing room then?
"In downforce we trust"

mertol

Massa has a LOT of room.

turbof1

I think both have their share in it. Massa goes right, off his line, and Perez goes left, also off his line.

It shouldn't matter that Massa had space to the left. Perez had also space to the right.
#AeroFrodo

mertol

So by your logic Perez has to drive on the right edge of the track and Massa has to drive on the left edge of the track to "not have space" on the other side? Point is there is no broken rule and the penalty is illegal.

SiLo

The point is at the speed they were doing not only did this happen very quickly, but Massa wouldn't have expected Perez to move over at that point, it's almost in the braking zone and can be dangerous to move across there.

If he checked his mirrors I think this wouldn't have happened.
Felipe Baby!

djos

2014 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal

mertol wrote:So by your logic Perez has to drive on the right edge of the track and Massa has to drive on the left edge of the track to "not have space" on the other side? Point is there is no broken rule and the penalty is illegal.
Check the pictures above, Perez had ~1.5 cars width room to his right.
"In downforce we trust"

mertol

SiLo wrote:Massa wouldn't have expected Perez to move over
So as I said it's Massa's fault for not expecting/reacting to what is going on. And what was going on was perfectly legal.

djos

SiLo wrote:The point is at the speed they were doing not only did this happen very quickly, but Massa wouldn't have expected Perez to move over at that point, it's almost in the braking zone and can be dangerous to move across there.

If he checked his mirrors I think this wouldn't have happened.
Exactly and it has always been considered wrong to move around in the braking zone. It causes accidents just like this one.
"In downforce we trust"

mertol

How many time do we have to repeat that?
1. He is not moving around, he is driving STRAIGHT.
2. There is no rule in the book preventing you from moving around in the braking zone or wherever else.
3. What causes accidents is Massa turning into other people. People right in front of his eyes and not in his mirrors. Why do you expect Perez to pay attention to his mirrors when Massa can't pay attention to his entire field of view?

Kiril Varbanov

A marshal forgot to return all of the debris he found: http://imgur.com/a/LKY4r

Phil

mertol wrote:1. He is not moving around, he is driving STRAIGHT.
Unfortunately, this is not entirely true, which makes all other points irrelevant. I think this GIF (posted back on page 36) shows it quite nicely:

Note the erratic way Perez suddenly steers to the left. He is free to do that, as long as no car is beside him. Doing this while a car is up alongside you will always end in tears. I agree to the point that Massa was extremely close, perhaps too close, but there's no logic why Perez would suddenly move left (Vettel wasn't slowing down relative to him), if not for car handling problems or if he was trying to "block" too late.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mertol

It IS entirely true - watch the onboard his wheel is never turned to the left. Which has no impact on the other points since Massa never was beside him until the crash and it is allowed to change your line EVEN if there is someone beside you, you are braking, the track is not straight or whatever other nonsense you can think of.

ooABoo
ooABoo

mertol wrote:How many time do we have to repeat that?
1. He is not moving around, he is driving STRAIGHT.
2. There is no rule in the book preventing you from moving around in the braking zone or wherever else.
3. What causes accidents is Massa turning into other people. People right in front of his eyes and not in his mirrors. Why do you expect Perez to pay attention to his mirrors when Massa can't pay attention to his entire field of view?
I question comment 2.

According to the regulations, only 1 change of direction to defend is permitted and that once you move back towards the racing line you cant move across again. They also state that if you you cannot move across to defend if the chasing cars fron wing are in anyway inline with the rear tyre.

I initally thought Perez was very hard done by and that Massa had driven into him but after looking at the footage / the images and the rules its clear to me that...

Perez is not on the racing line appoaching the corner
Perez is moving to the left (across Massa) in relation to track direction
Massa is (at some point) along side (according to reg description) hence the contact/crash.

AB