2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

I'm slightly surprised that - given the harder compunds and the difficulty drivers had with tyres that were too hard in 2012 - Pirelli didn't bring super soft/soft. I guess they've been conservative all year but would like to have seen a more agressive decision.

Hopefully with the softest tyres in Abu Dabi it will bring the other cars closer to Merc, which could spice the title decider up (if it's still active!)

PlatinumZealot

This is the place where both Force India's will once more finish in front of Mclaren.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moose
Moose

PlatinumZealot wrote:This is the place where both Force India's will once more finish in front of Mclaren.
Not denying the idea – but why? Where have FI beaten McLaren lately, and why?

My general impression is that the difference between FI and McLaren is not that one is good at one kind of circuit and vice versa. Instead, it's that McLaren is winning the development race.

Andres125sx

Unc1eM0nty wrote:Love this place, by far the best of the modern tracks.

I think Lewis will be hard to beat, he looks to be in very good place mentally, if he misses out on pole it's no big deal.
Agree on both :D

Love Austin track, it must be something with several fast corners togheter, because I love Silverstone, Suzuka and Austin. Suzuka the best because it´s the most complete track IMO. But Austin is the best modern track

Also think Lewis will beat Nico easily, I´d say 75-25% for Lewis, It´d be a surprise for me if Nico wins with no problems for Lewis

ringo

Hmm i'm not so sure he will beat Nico easily. he beats him over the race distance of course, as for Q3 Nico has his little tricks.
The race edit from 2012 gives you the feeling he is going to unleash some "hammer time" as they call it..

But you never can tell with Nico. Hell hath no fury like a britney scorned.. we saw what happened in Monaco and Spa.
For Sure!!

godlameroso

The thing is that there have been races where Nico was just faster than Lewis, Bahrain, Austria and Germany ring a bell.
Saishū kōnā

CBeck113
CBeck113

Why does every race thread turn into a Lewis vs. Nico fanboy thread?
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

iotar__

CBeck113 wrote:Why does every race thread turn into a Lewis vs. Nico fanboy thread?
Rosberg vs Hamilton is the only thing to look forward to in USA GP. Who has a better chance is an obvious question. The fact that it turns into deja vu of "Rosberg sucks Hamilton is the greatest" (until qualifying) with holy-batman-of-telemetry-of-China on top is a different matter. As long as a direction is right it's not a problem.

Tracks this season are either Red Bull or Williams. This one is not obvious, layout says slightly Williams, tyres say RB, maybe at last a fight between them and not vacuum bubble race. Then McL/Alonso and everything else the same.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

CBeck113 wrote:Why does every race thread turn into a Lewis vs. Nico fanboy thread?
Because for this and next season, that's all there is to discuss. Nobody else can win barring reliability issues.

dren

The two straights will keep Williams in the hunt. I expect Hamilton to do well here, he always does. The pass on Vettel two years ago was fun watching. Vettel laid some nice donuts last year. It'd be great to see Hamilton do the same if/when he wins.

Red Bull should be able to stay in the fight. I expect Mclaren to look better. I don't see FI beating them at all.
Honda!

CBeck113
CBeck113

But there is a huge difference between a factual discussion about the drivers' chances at the coming GP and what happened at the last few. I would simply prefer something like "What are Nico's chance if he doesn't screw up on the first lap?" :D

I did not watch this race last year, but will not miss it this year. Let's hope for some good action throughout the field, and maybe a surprise or two on the way. My crystal ball prediction: Lewis & Nico crash out on the fourth lap (after DRS has been greeen lighted) and Alonso wins...with Seb 2nd and Kimi third....Ok, may be a bit of a long shot.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Richard
Richard

*puff* ... They've gone....

dans79

Richard wrote:
*puff* ... They've gone....
Was that really necessary?

ignoring DNF issues they have won every race and will most likely win all the remaining races. Realistically they are the only two who can win the WDC. With that being said I think it's pretty natural that most threads will gravitate toward comparing these two drivers.
Last edited by dans79 on 22 Oct 2014, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

MOWOG

Perhaps it is an indication of how little else there is to talk about concerning the sport at the moment? :roll:

:cry:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

jato
jato

Mercedes
Williams (who have been pretty much the 2nd best car since Silverstone/Austria other than one/two races)

McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull

Lewis for the win followed by Nico (barring any mech issues)
Bottas for third while the rest duke it out for the remaining positions

If Vettel is starting from the pitlane, I think he will find it hard to get into the top 6.