2015 Singapore Grand Prix - 18-20 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2015 Singapore Grand Prix - 18-20 September

But what can you do? Dump a driver with perspective because he is not letting his teammate past?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Phil

Yes, that's what I'd do. In essence, nothing is bigger than the team, even if circumstance might mean that the public and race fan doesn't agree with it. I think the problem here is that Verstappen is the public favorite - the young Senna who is going to set the world on fire. So the team either rides this out (to attract positive publicity) and you don't want negative headlines like team-orders in the way.

The only thing Sainz can do is drive better and be in front. And make sure he stays the quicker driver.

I honestly don't see the issue. It seems perfectly legit for a midfield team to want to maximize its potential, swap the drivers to give one with the better tires a shout - if it doesn't work out, fair enough, swap back again. That's at least what Sainz publicly said he'd be happy to have done. Of course, if he had pulled it off, it would have given him a 2 position advantage over his team-mate, but those points would have been important to the team.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Godius

In all fairness, the overtakes that Verstappen produced on Sunday were all well executed moves that were flawless and earned respect from the Lotus drivers. The overtakes of Sainz on the other hand... , I was wondering how he didn't get a penalty for forcing Grosjean and Maldonado of the track. Sainz's overtakes looked so clumsy and amateurish compared to those of Verstappen his overtakes.

Phil

Yeah, absolutely. To be honest, I don't think Sainz would have got passed, so all the drama is moot anyway.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LionKing
LionKing

Verstappen also qualified very well at P8. He may have some mistakes but also gone very well in races. I think with these flashes of brilliance and considering his age, a very successful career lies ahead for him.

Andres125sx

Godius wrote:In all fairness, the overtakes that Verstappen produced on Sunday were all well executed moves that were flawless and earned respect from the Lotus drivers. The overtakes of Sainz on the other hand... , I was wondering how he didn't get a penalty for forcing Grosjean and Maldonado of the track. Sainz's overtakes looked so clumsy and amateurish compared to those of Verstappen his overtakes.
More or less agree, but you must also consider his team mate was building some advantage meanwhile, so he was in a hurry. I don´t see the overtakes amateurish tough, this is F1, overtaking is not easy, specially when top speed is so low compared to the car in front and can´t use DRS to overtake, so he did what he could as soon as he could, and this means being agressive.

About the posibility for Sainz to pass Perez or not, I agree it would have been very dificult, but who knows. I´d have enjoyed watching it, and if he can´t, then let Max pass again. No loses for anyone. But Max didn´t allow it. There´s a new boss in STR :roll:

Godius

Andres125sx wrote:
Godius wrote:In all fairness, the overtakes that Verstappen produced on Sunday were all well executed moves that were flawless and earned respect from the Lotus drivers. The overtakes of Sainz on the other hand... , I was wondering how he didn't get a penalty for forcing Grosjean and Maldonado of the track. Sainz's overtakes looked so clumsy and amateurish compared to those of Verstappen his overtakes.
More or less agree, but you must also consider his team mate was building some advantage meanwhile, so he was in a hurry. I don´t see the overtakes amateurish tough, this is F1, overtaking is not easy, specially when top speed is so low compared to the car in front and can´t use DRS to overtake, so he did what he could as soon as he could, and this means being agressive.

About the posibility for Sainz to pass Perez or not, I agree it would have been very dificult, but who knows. I´d have enjoyed watching it, and if he can´t, then let Max pass again. No loses for anyone. But Max didn´t allow it. There´s a new boss in STR :roll:
You are right but I've heard Sainz talking to BBC or Sky that he wanted to do a DRS aided overtake on Perez. But that was never going to happen considering that Perez was going faster on straight-line speed without DRS than Verstappen was going with DRS enabled and slipstream as well.

I think the team learned an important lesson to make a few ground rules in advance to prevent silly incidents like these.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Bit harsh on Sainz, when overtaking Maldonado you have to throw your elbows out and be forceful as he sees the red mist. With Grosjean, and it took Verstappen several laps to set up a move and in the 3 corners between him and Sainz getting past, he built up several seconds of a lead. Sainz could've waited 2 more corners to DRS Grosjean but by then Verstappen would've been completely gone.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

toraabe wrote:
mrluke wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Singapore is very bumpy and it has true high traffic streets also. Remember lewis said he could heat his tyres up to temperature on his out laps but could not get further increase in his hot laps. His tyres actually cooled down. This is because the mercedes was not working the tyre as hard as the other cars. It could be scrub radius it could be the front wheel damper setup.... A lot of things. We know ther aero balance was there though. Hamilton confirmed he had good balance.
But it wasn't just Mercedes, none of the merc powered teams did very well.

The only thing I can think of is that the merc teams have a set up which is much kinder to their tyres due to the higher power available (maybe?) meaning they can struggle to get enough heat into them on some tracks.

But....difficult to explain why so good at Monaco and so bad at Singapore.

Is it maybe heat and mguh/k related? I haven't seen side by side laps with the Ferrari to see where they lose out but heard its in the acceleration zones?

Odd.
The tourqe curve of the Mercedes engine is so brutal so the rear tyres becomes overheated if the driver is not gentle enough with the throttle. Already last year they wanted wider rear tyres to get their power down.
Other than Mercedes all it's customer teams run low drag high top speed setup, like Williams, Force India and Lotus all three have similar design philosophy so it was not surprising to see them slow but Mercedes this year have focused on downforce sacrificing top speed this is why they are faster on tracks where you need downforce.. It's actually fast everywhere so at first I thought maybe Merc have a longer wheelbase than Redbull and Ferrari which is effecting them but after a bit of research it seems they have the smallest wheelbase and the balance was good too there was just no grip for them.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

PlatinumZealot

LionKing wrote:Verstappen also qualified very well at P8. He may have some mistakes but also gone very well in races. I think with these flashes of brilliance and considering his age, a very successful career lies ahead for him.
Depends on where he peaks at. For example in sprinting running fast times as a teen almost never translate to tue times you run when you reach 23, 25, 30 years old. It all depends on your genetics and training. The other day justing gatlin was running blazing times at 33 while you have usain bolt's body breaking down at 28 due to nigling injuries and age. I think it sort of similar across all sports. It depends on the driver. Some blossom beautifully later on while some are like a firecracker they burn bright for a few early years and fizzle mid career. Stablemates Kobayashi was a firecracker and perez is like a wine slowly maturing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

Getting the power down is not the problem for them, although in Singapore it seemed it was. But just look at Monza, their traction out of the chicanes was better than all the other teams.
Felipe Baby!

Jordan44

Hamilton on Mercedes' findings about their lack of Singapore performance:

"I can't tell you what the team have come up with, but they have come up with a lot of reasons and solutions for the way it was," he told reporters.
"The majority of them believe that one of the many reasons we came up with had a dominio effect. So I'm confident it has been understand, but they will continue to do analysis."

The 30-year-old also batted away the 'conspiracy' theories doing the rounds since Mercedes' shock defeat to Ferrari and Red Bull last weekend.
"To be honest, I've not been thinking about it. Whatever happened, happened," he insisted. "There are reasons in our balance, the set-up we had and the balance we went down [which] affected the car and the tyres the way it did. The other teams perhaps did better than us so I don't believe in all that conspiracy stuff. I just put it down to the technical side of things and we could have done a better job."

efuloni
efuloni

Hulk apologized for the accident with Massa and recognized it was his fault. He even texted to Felipe. What a nice guy.

siskue2005

Vettel Stops Ferrari Singapore 2015 Celebration To Get Kimi’s Name Added To Pitboard

respect when it is due

Phil

=D>

I can't say I've ever been a fan of Vettel (I really have a huge distaste for the way he celebrates his wins), but stuff like this really shows what an incredible character he is on many levels.
#Team44 supporter