2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
lio007

Re: 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain, April 01-03

Any onboards already floating around, apart from that: https://vid.me/2R48
Looks like the left vertical bar on the display shows the ERS-level (?)

Edax
Edax

A-Bap wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
Watch the on-boards and aeriels. Bottas was quite true-to-line. Hamilton jinked his car to the inside--almost a quarter-turn of the wheel at the apex.
https://youtu.be/7nAFYbxT_sE?t=93
I think Hamilton tried to uncercut Rosberg while Rosberg tried to check brake Hamilton. Hamilton stated that he didn't see Bottas because he was in his blind spot. And I can imagine that he didn't expect somebody there, such an amazing start did Bottas have.

To me it seems like a racing accident and I'm not sure it should have been penalized. Maybe Bottas was a bit overenthousiastic, but it is not like he dive bombed Hamilton. Anyway Hamilton doesn't seem to be to fazed about it. I think he drove a good race considering the damage.

Overall an entertaining race, though somewhat boring at the front. But lots of strategy as well as on track action in the midfield.

And once again I'm so happy that F1 has listened to my prayers and brought the sparks back =D> .

ME4ME

lio007 wrote:Any onboards already floating around, apart from that: https://vid.me/2R48
Well spotted. It looks like the deployment is done quite rapidly at the start of a straight, as you'd expect, but then at an much lower rate further down the straight.

giantfan10
giantfan10

ME4ME wrote:
lio007 wrote:Any onboards already floating around, apart from that: https://vid.me/2R48
Well spotted. It looks like the deployment is done quite rapidly at the start of a straight, as you'd expect, but then at an much lower rate further down the straight.
the left vertical bar on the display is speed not ERs. the numbers on the outside are KMH

hemichromis
hemichromis

no the bar gets smaller as the car accelerates on the straight, never completely diminished though

Redragon

giantfan10 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
the left vertical bar on the display is speed not ERs. the numbers on the outside are KMH
Channel 4 in Uk were showing ERS display on their onboard views if I recall well, I try to get some footage

iotar__

Edax wrote:I think Hamilton tried to uncercut Rosberg while Rosberg tried to check brake Hamilton. Hamilton stated that he didn't see Bottas because he was in his blind spot. And I can imagine that he didn't expect somebody there, such an amazing start did Bottas have.

To me it seems like a racing accident and I'm not sure it should have been penalized. Maybe Bottas was a bit overenthousiastic, but it is not like he dive bombed Hamilton. Anyway Hamilton doesn't seem to be to fazed about it. I think he drove a good race considering the damage. .
"Rosberg tried to check brake Hamilton"?? Inside (tighter) line and clearly in front before the corner, how the hell can you invent brake-checking here? Hamilton didn't try to undercut anyone, just stay close behind and he saw Bottas just fine, you see objects next to you unless you've got no peripheral vision ;-)

Penalty is wrong in light of previous decisions but what do you expect from Whiting - Warwick combo? Bottas "had the right to be there" just like Ricciardo in Mexico as F1 expert Brundle said at the time and of course didn't now. Hamilton could have taken a wider line just like Vettel.

I consider both attempts (Ricciardo & Bottas) bad, too late and with collision in mind, gap on the inside doesn't justify a dive when there's no way of getting cleanly in front considering corner speed difference and the angle, side by side for split second is not 50/50. The problem is consistency and allowing driving like that earlier.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Redragon wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Channel 4 in Uk were showing ERS display on their onboard views if I recall well, I try to get some footage
nice!!! i didnt get that version here,

PlatinumZealot

iotar__ wrote:
Edax wrote:I think Hamilton tried to uncercut Rosberg while Rosberg tried to check brake Hamilton. Hamilton stated that he didn't see Bottas because he was in his blind spot. And I can imagine that he didn't expect somebody there, such an amazing start did Bottas have.

To me it seems like a racing accident and I'm not sure it should have been penalized. Maybe Bottas was a bit overenthousiastic, but it is not like he dive bombed Hamilton. Anyway Hamilton doesn't seem to be to fazed about it. I think he drove a good race considering the damage. .
"Rosberg tried to check brake Hamilton"?? Inside (tighter) line and clearly in front before the corner, how the hell can you invent brake-checking here? Hamilton didn't try to undercut anyone, just stay close behind and he saw Bottas just fine, you see objects next to you unless you've got no peripheral vision ;-)

Penalty is wrong in light of previous decisions but what do you expect from Whiting - Warwick combo? Bottas "had the right to be there" just like Ricciardo in Mexico as F1 expert Brundle said at the time and of course didn't now. Hamilton could have taken a wider line just like Vettel.

I consider both attempts (Ricciardo & Bottas) bad, too late and with collision in mind, gap on the inside doesn't justify a dive when there's no way of getting cleanly in front considering corner speed difference and the angle, side by side for split second is not 50/50. The problem is consistency and allowing driving like that earlier.
The telemetry and Bottas' on-board showed that he drove into a dissappearing gap. That is not how you outmuscle a car into the corner. You can't just dive down and hope that the other guy backs out when he doesn't even see you in the first place. Ameteur driving. The same thing he did to Kimi in Russia and Mexico.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

flickerf1
flickerf1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
iotar__ wrote:

The telemetry and Bottas' on-board showed that he drove into a dissappearing gap. That is not how you outmuscle a car into the corner. You can't just dive down and hope that the other guy backs out when he doesn't even see you in the first place. Ameteur driving. The same thing he did to Kimi in Russia and Mexico.
Though I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Mexico and Bahrain incidents, Kimi did really try to go for a gap that wasn't going to be there in Russia. But Bottas really needs to step up his consistency if he wants to drive for top tier teams.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Edax
Edax

iotar__ wrote:
Edax wrote: .
Don't know wether brake-checking is the right word (non-native english). But that is what you do when you do when you are in front and have the cornered covered. Just slow down enough to take the momentum out of the other car and make sure that you determine the point where he can go on the throttle. Reaction time gives you an automatic advantage. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

About periphal vision. Have you ever driven a car? Prettyimpossible to see things which are aproaching from that angle. And that is even without having a helmet on.

There is a reason they invented these things.

Senna77
Senna77

PlatinumZealot wrote:
iotar__ wrote:

The stewards agree with you with the penalty. But it seems the stewards are not consistent at all. I have seen so many similar moves go unpunished. The stewards need alot more consistency.

f1316
f1316

dans79 wrote:
f1316 wrote: Which is a long-winded way of saying that I think the gap is small enough that strategy alone could be enough to win some races.
And imo strategy, is not Ferrari's strong point. The last Ferrari strategy master stroke I can think of was Spain 2013.
Well, for starters, Malaysia 2015 was won on strategy.

But it's also not really the point. Using the undercut does not require a master stroke, just being close enough in pace for it to work. They gained massively in Bahrain with Kimi every time they pitted first, and if they had been running within 3 or 4 seconds - which I think was possible without the start - it could have got them track position.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:How do you evaluate difference?

Past season pace difference between Mercedes and Ferrari was bigger, but reliability was better for Ferrari.

This season pace difference is smaller, but Ferrari reliability has dropped off with two retirements in first two races.
Mercedes and Ferrari will be at least double than past season. To

With this average, final standing difference this season between me that´s far from reducing the difference.
Well, I hope that Ferrari will fix those problems which should be soon, unless these reliabilty problems are linked to the package, if its the case they will be in trouble.

mbchc
mbchc

Speaking of car control, I watched onboard with Pascal. I can clearly see him struggling to keep the car going straight... I have to constantly correct the car from the initial turn in to mud corner and acceleration... Well I think straight line speed is really not the huge deal when you don't have a stable car...
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||