2016 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 02-04 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2016 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 02-04 September

f1316 wrote:
Exactly the strategy mix I predicted!

And, as also predicted, it made no difference to the result, only made it a touch more interesting to see what would happen.
Given Hamilton's start i would say it made the race slightly less interesting, it would've been better to see him overtake them on track, which would've happened surely his performance advantage was just too big.

f1316
f1316

Sevach wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Exactly the strategy mix I predicted!

And, as also predicted, it made no difference to the result, only made it a touch more interesting to see what would happen.
Given Hamilton's start i would say it made the race slightly less interesting, it would've been better to see him overtake them on track, which would've happened surely his performance advantage was just too big.
Might be right. Which is almost certainly why they did it, I suppose - might as well at least try something different.

f1316
f1316

basti313 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:Awkward moment when Mercedes driver speaks italian better than Ferrari driver :D
True. And I do not know what this is about, no RedBull driver tried to speak Austrian so far for example... :D
Yeah, very few people do try to speak 'Austrian'...

There's a reason everyone - even non Ferrari drivers - do everything they can to ingratiate themselves with that crowd: because there's nothing quite like that podium. Always something special; for Hamilton to call it the best of the year even after what he enjoyed at Silverstone speaks volumes.

basti313
basti313

Does anybody have a video of the formation lap? Did Nico leave a lot of space?
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sevach
Sevach

f1316 wrote:
Might be right. Which is almost certainly why they did it, I suppose - might as well at least try something different.
From my perspective of someone watching on TV, it would've been nicer to see Hamilton overtake them on track, but the strategy itself was ok, they tried something and it got them exactly what their car deserved, no more, no less.

Sevach
Sevach

Something that went totally under the radar(because it happened with guys that nobody care, and affected essentially nothing), Nasr and Palmer colided on the exit of T1(or do they split the first chicane into 2 corners... whatever) and Nasr was penalized for not giving room on the exit of a corner, which is rare.

Stewards are notoriously inconsistent (Verstappen didn't get a penalty last race for forcing people out of the track {talking about the moves on Perez and Raikkonen on Les Combes, not the blocking on the straight} when Vettel and Rosberg got it in the 2 previous ones, and what Verstappen did was way more forceful), but does this mean anything?

Previously we've seen drivers do this and walk freely.

F1NAC

Sevach wrote:Something that went totally under the radar(because it happened with guys that nobody care, and affected essentially nothing), Nasr and Palmer colided on the exit of T1(or do they split the first chicane into 2 corners... whatever) and Nasr was penalized for not giving room on the exit of a corner, which is rare.

Stewards are notoriously inconsistent (Verstappen didn't get a penalty last race for forcing people out of the track {talking about the moves on Perez and Raikkonen on Les Combes, not the blocking on the straight} when Vettel and Rosberg got it in the 2 previous ones, and what Verstappen did was way more forceful), but does this mean anything?

Previously we've seen drivers do this and walk freely.
And Gutierrez got five places grid penalty in spa but Verstappen didn't get even a reprimand for dangerous blocking on Rosberg in FP3. Consistency is key...... Not

Sonador
Sonador

basti313 wrote:Does anybody have a video of the formation lap? Did Nico leave a lot of space?
No just a normal gap, however the formationlap was quite fast by Hamilton.

So the field was spred out a bit.

Schuttelberg

2 points separate the first two guys in the World Championship, yet there is an inevitably about the driver's championship that most F1 fans feel.

Rosberg's 7 wins this year-

Australia - Hamilton falls away at the start.
Bahrain - Same as above, contact with Bottas and Ricciardo.
China - Hamilton started last due to mechanical error.
Russia - Hamilton starts 10th due to mechanical error.
Azerbaijan - Hamilton was awful during qualifying and started 10th.
Spa - Hamilton started last.
Monza - Hamilton botched up the start.

Rosberg has out-qualified Hamilton ON MERIT only at Hungary this year, by a mere tenth.

There is a lot of illusion that's sold that Rosberg is close to Hamilton. I have an immense amount of respect for Hamilton, but fact is that he's been a bit unlucky with a whole heap of mechanical failures and also been off the bottle in certain situations. If Hamilton gets his act together for the remaining 7 races, Rosberg doesn't have a prayer!
Last edited by Schuttelberg on 04 Sep 2016, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

tonmeister
tonmeister

Highlight of the (quite boring) race for me..

Just priceless

Mattchu

Pretty poor race, infact i flicked over to the cricket (flicking back now and then) after the first pit stops as the order was pretty much set...

Rosbergs engineer calling him Nicola at the end was pretty funny though..."Thank you Thomas" :lol: Good steady drive though!

Sonador
Sonador

Schuttelberg wrote:2 points separate the first two guys in the World Championship, yet there is an inevitably about the driver's championship that most F1 fans feel.

Rosberg's 7 wins this year-

Australia - Hamilton falls away at the start.
Bahrain - Same as above, contact with Bottas and Ricciardo.
China - Hamilton started last due to mechanical error.
Russia - Hamilton starts 10th due to mechanical error.
Azerbaijan - Hamilton was awful during qualifying and started 10th.
Spa - Hamilton started last.
Monza - Hamilton botched up the start.

Rosberg has out-qualified Hamilton ON MERIT only at Hungary this year, by a mere tenth.

There is a lot of illusion that's sold that Rosberg is close to Hamilton. I have an immense amount of respect for Hamilton, but fact is that he's been a bit unlucky with a whole heap of mechanical failures and also been off the bottle in certain situations. If Hamilton gets his act together for the remaining 7 races, Rosberg doesn't have a prayer!
You only tell halve the story, Rosberg has had his fair share of issues this year.
Also botched starts, gearbox issues, fogging helmet in Monaco, etc etc etc.

But i do get what you are trying to say, and agree mostly but there are two sides to a story .....

Imho i think it is very good how Hamilton has handeld all of the bad luck, and his attitude and sometimes just plain luck has gotten him from a monumental deficit in points, to right back in the title lead.
That shows how good he is of a person and as a driver!
Lovely to watch!

Pierce89

basti313 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:Awkward moment when Mercedes driver speaks italian better than Ferrari driver :D
True. And I do not know what this is about, no RedBull driver tried to speak Austrian so far for example... :D
Or picture a Sauber driver trying to speak Swiss-German :D

Edit: Or Grosjean tawkin' suthern.... LMAO :mrgreen:
I hope you realize why you've never heard any Red Bullers speaking "Austrian".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

iotar__

Re-watched parts, F1 coverage is on the level of Onion articles, 5 s into the race expert Coulthard:
- Wehrlein had a 'great' start, 2 places = Gutierrez + Verstappen. Alonso, Massa, Grosjean didn't have great starts because they're not in sponsored by Mercedes promotion program . Told you they're contractually obliged to do this nonsense :-) Loses two places = still 'doing great'.
- Blames Mercedes' 'Achilles heel' for Hamilton's bad start. A prophet? No, a script, flaws in the heroes we're selling do not exist.

What else is new:
- Hamilton is not admitting he messed up. It's only when Rosberg has bad starts (Germany, Hungary) and loses wins everything is OK with the car, a miracle.
- Red Bull overselling overtake with a quicker car on quicker tyres that should have been comfortably in front of Williams every second of this grand prix as the second coming. Bottas went to sleep and forgot to defend, too.

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:1. The main reason for that good first stint was that Nico seems to get really well since Spa with the soft tyres and again here in FP1 or Lewis just destroyed his tyres when he was behind the slower cars?
2. Why didn`t they switched the strategy for Lewis with a 2 stop one : S-SS-SS ... he seemed to get on well with the SS in FP2, FP3 and especially in Qualy, when he had at least 3 to 4 tenths in every Q compared to Rosberg? and the time between the S and SS tyre worth at least 8 tenths here ...
Nah. It was a lie. A dummy to throw off Ferrari. He later said his tyres were fine as you could see he was catching Nico.
The worry was his stint on the mediums. He never got any speed out of them. Probably had given up by then.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏