2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Turbo, maybe you could just bin his post? Being a massive wall of text renders it illegible. :D
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

djos wrote:Turbo, maybe you could just bin his post? Being a massive wall of text renders it illegible. :D
I am not going to. Everybody has his right to comment within reason. In all fairness he did the effort to sum up some facts. It simply was the last part that bugs me out.
#AeroFrodo

Gothrek
Gothrek

That actually is the best view indeed, I didn't even notice how much Max locked up until now. Seeing this, it actually looks much more like a racing incident to me. A lot of people doing a lot of stuff in a tiny amount of space.
Now I also know why I thought Max hit Vettel, I saw the strange movement of his car, but it was him locking up.
PlatinumZealot wrote:So many blind people. I wonder how they even manage to type. It is obvious to any unbiased VIEWER that Vettel was to blame in Spa and in Malsysia.

Case closed.
Never said Max was to blame. I said Vettel was overly optimistic from the start and my feeling was Max made Vettels move from optimistic to totally crashlike behaviour.

AMG.Tzan

turbof1 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
carisi2k wrote:People forget quickly that Nico had 2 engine failures in 2014 that probably cost him the 2014 championship. Both of them had ers issues at Canada but Nico was able to drive around his and Lewis was not. So maybe this is karma paying back for Nico.

As for VET vs VES. I do believe that VET is under extreme pressure and he is starting to feel it which shows up in mistakes. I think since that mistaken call at Melbourne he has felt a lot of pressure on his shoulders. With Red Bull coming on stronger then they thought, it has resulted in many mistakes by the Ferrari drivers this year.
Maybe you are forgeting that in 2014 Lewis had: 1 engine failure in australia while being on pole, 1 engine failure in Canada which put him out while Rosberg didn't (and dont't take it as a given that Rosberg did a better job of handling the situation...both are given the same instructions so i don't see how one does a better job...again pure luck), 1 engine failure in Hungary Qualy...started last and still beat Rosberg in the race, 1 brake failure in germany again starting last...and if it was for a safety car that was needed at the time because a Sauber was stranded in the middle of the start-finish straight...then maybe he could have won that too! Rosberg has never started last (only in Russia 2014 when it was his own mistake locking up so badly)! So i don't see how Rosberg lost the 2014 championship from bad luck! But it is always evident that for rosberg to win a championship against hamilton he needs some bad luck from Lewis! He has never passed him on track and the whole luck thing and Lewis's words against his team has become so much of a theme in this race because remember what everyone was saying against Lewis after Singapore! -Oh Nico is on another level this year, he's outshined Lewis, Lewis has lost his edge because of partying (classic Jackie Stewart quote every time Hamilton has a bad weekend) and the new Mercedes suspension! And yet here he comes taking pole by almost half a second (and it could have been even more he said), gets a nice getaway, opens the gap when he needs to and boom there goes the engine(for the 3rd time this year)! But still anti-hamilton fans talk of karma and how rosberg deserves every bit of this year's success! At least Ricciardo took his blood back for Monaco and Spain =D> =D> sorry for the long fanboy post! but it hurt this Sunday :lol:
Aren't you dramatizing the whole deal? Carisi2k merely pointed out that Rosberg had mechanical failures. I feel it is outright insulting you are insinuating he is, just because he made that comment, an anti-hamilton fan.

Stay reasonable, respect other's their opinion and read what is written, and not what is not written.

I also feel it's not exceptional that the title will be decided on luck with reliability. This is simply put very common in motorsport. Will that mean Hamilton got bad luck? Yes of course. Will it also mean Rosberg did it a sloppy job putting himself in a position to take advantage of Hamilton's bad luck? No, not at all. The race in this topic title is a testament of that, where he got reset to the back of the grid through no fault of his own, but ultimately fought back to the podium. With some luck, yes, but also through a mentality to win the championship.
Who said i didn't respect his opinion? And why am i not reasonable since i am saying that both had the same luck in 2014! Is he reasonable for saying that Rosberg lost the title because he had 2 failures and it's karma this time? And i find exceptional the 2014 and 2015 titles when both pretty much suffered from the same problems and fought it out on track! And also i was merely pointing out that Hamilton had the same problems as Rosberg because it seems people have sort memories! It's not insulting or disrespecting someone when i am just trying to show the whole picture of the 2014 championship unlike him who only remember's Rosberg bad luck! The anti-hamilton fan doesn't nessecerily go to him since if you look back at all these comments you will certainly find many anti-driver fans!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

turbof1

AMG.Tzan wrote:Is he reasonable for saying that Rosberg lost the title because he had 2 failures and it's karma this time?
Reasonable to state he lost the title because of 2 failures? All things staying equal for 2014, yes (but that's going deep into what-if scenarios, and of course Hamilton rightly deserved the title). Reasonable to state this is karma? No, there I agree with you. Still, even with that mind you should not so quick to pull the trigger.

I understand btw your frustration, but I have seen too many members attacking eachother with fanboy terms, like "anti-hamilton". So either you are going to stop with this name calling, or I am forced to remove posts. Just express your opinion, without pre-assuming somebody is pro, or contra hamilton. Taking such a prejudged position is disrespectful.
#AeroFrodo

PhillipM
PhillipM

Webber2011 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:Well there's a whacking great electrical motor attached to the crankshaft, along with a massive battery pack. It's not that difficult to setup...
What would he have had to do ?

I know the cars have a "start mode" that the driver, (or the mechanic in the garage), selects.
Would it then be as simple as putting the car in neutral, and hitting a button on the wheel to engage the MGU-K ?

Pretty quick thinking considering the amount of time they had to do it.
I bet it's something they wouldn't have practised.
I bet it's something they have practised, in fact I'll be almost every team has code in the ecu to allow them to select a self start strategy through the rotary dials. Just in case. You'd be silly not to really.

Schuttelberg

carisi2k wrote: As for VET vs VES. I do believe that VET is under extreme pressure and he is starting to feel it which shows up in mistakes. I think since that mistaken call at Melbourne he has felt a lot of pressure on his shoulders. With Red Bull coming on stronger then they thought, it has resulted in many mistakes by the Ferrari drivers this year.
Vettel is under extreme pressure? Pressure from whom? Ferrari? Or fans like you and me whose posts he reads?

Vettel is a quadruple champion. His pressure to perform comes from within. Take a sensible review of his season and you will find that he's simply trying to "create results" because he knows he has a car deficit. A racing driver's mindset constitutes 80% of his results relative to the car he has. From the beginning of the year, he's been behind the eight ball and unlike 2015, has simply found no rhythm to the season. Whenever he begins to rack up the results, just then something happens.

I also find it laughable when people start saying he's a crash kid and he's the one causing all these crashes. Passing in F1 is tough. He's been in very very touch and go spots at the starts and the thing with him is that unlike the moronic attitude of a certain 19 year old, he puts the hand up when he screws up. I'm a Vettel fan and he was the only one to blame for Malaysia. He wrecked Rosberg's race, but he didn't do anything wrong in relation to Verstappen. It's what Verstappen did at Spa, and unlike him, he kept it on the island on the inside. People forget his stats at Australia and Canada this year. It's what a racing driver does. You see a gap, you go!

Also, lot of Ferrari bashing as usual. Ferrari weren't interested in coming second this year. Their token expenditure is a clear example of it. If in the bargain, they lost second, so be it. I rather a team goes for the championship while taking risks. It's not worked out, that's RACING. You stick it out as a team when the going is tough.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

turbof1

Schuttelberg wrote:
carisi2k wrote: As for VET vs VES. I do believe that VET is under extreme pressure and he is starting to feel it which shows up in mistakes. I think since that mistaken call at Melbourne he has felt a lot of pressure on his shoulders. With Red Bull coming on stronger then they thought, it has resulted in many mistakes by the Ferrari drivers this year.
Vettel is under extreme pressure? Pressure from whom? Ferrari? Or fans like you and me whose posts he reads?

Vettel is a quadruple champion. His pressure to perform comes from within. Take a sensible review of his season and you will find that he's simply trying to "create results" because he knows he has a car deficit. A racing driver's mindset constitutes 80% of his results relative to the car he has. From the beginning of the year, he's been behind the eight ball and unlike 2015, has simply found no rhythm to the season. Whenever he begins to rack up the results, just then something happens.

I also find it laughable when people start saying he's a crash kid and he's the one causing all these crashes. Passing in F1 is tough. He's been in very very touch and go spots at the starts and the thing with him is that unlike the moronic attitude of a certain 19 year old, he puts the hand up when he screws up. I'm a Vettel fan and he was the only one to blame for Malaysia. He wrecked Rosberg's race, but he didn't do anything wrong in relation to Verstappen. It's what Verstappen did at Spa, and unlike him, he kept it on the island on the inside. People forget his stats at Australia and Canada this year. It's what a racing driver does. You see a gap, you go!

Also, lot of Ferrari bashing as usual. Ferrari weren't interested in coming second this year. Their token expenditure is a clear example of it. If in the bargain, they lost second, so be it. I rather a team goes for the championship while taking risks. It's not worked out, that's RACING. You stick it out as a team when the going is tough.
What about pressure from his own? Vettel is a winner, wants to win. He left Red Bull for Ferrari because he felt he could win with Ferrari. Last year that goal was achieved, but this year can't be nothing else then a dissapointment for him. I do think that puts pressure on his shoulders, if nobody else then from himself.
#AeroFrodo

AMG.Tzan

turbof1 wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:Is he reasonable for saying that Rosberg lost the title because he had 2 failures and it's karma this time?
Reasonable to state he lost the title because of 2 failures? All things staying equal for 2014, yes (but that's going deep into what-if scenarios, and of course Hamilton rightly deserved the title). Reasonable to state this is karma? No, there I agree with you. Still, even with that mind you should not so quick to pull the trigger.

I understand btw your frustration, but I have seen too many members attacking eachother with fanboy terms, like "anti-hamilton". So either you are going to stop with this name calling, or I am forced to remove posts. Just express your opinion, without pre-assuming somebody is pro, or contra hamilton. Taking such a prejudged position is disrespectful.
Yeah i understand your point...it's just my perception of things that i always want to look at the whole picture of something and not just at one part of it! That's why i was so quick to label him anti-hamilton but it's ok...i didn't mean to disrespect anyone or anyone's opinion :wink:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Vettelswonmeover
Vettelswonmeover

Vasconia wrote:
basti313 wrote: Yes, it was tragic. But Alonso was never in question as the well earned WC. Will it be the same if Nico wins this year?
For some people Nico will never have the right to win the WC so....

Failures are part of F1. Michael could have won in 2006, in 1997, in 1998, but ... it has happened a lot of times. Yo need to fight back and dont say stupid things about your team, the same which has given to you the most dominant car in years.

You could say "but Lewis was faster, he is better" and yes its true, but this doesnt imply that Nico doesnt deserve it. He is doing a fine job, doing his best in every race and taking advantage from Lewis bad luck, but also from his mistakes or bad weekends(Bakú, Singapur,etc).

And this season there is no excuse with the double puntuation in the last race. So lets enjoy this epic battle which hopefully will last until the last race.
Agree totally about Nico being a deserving champion. He has started well to get a lead, was drubbed by Lewis in the middle and bounced back after the summer break. He is showing the fighting spirit, aggression & maturity that befits a WDC. May the best man win.

basti313
basti313

AMG.Tzan wrote:
carisi2k wrote:People forget quickly that Nico had 2 engine failures in 2014 that probably cost him the 2014 championship. Both of them had ers issues at Canada but Nico was able to drive around his and Lewis was not. So maybe this is karma paying back for Nico.

As for VET vs VES. I do believe that VET is under extreme pressure and he is starting to feel it which shows up in mistakes. I think since that mistaken call at Melbourne he has felt a lot of pressure on his shoulders. With Red Bull coming on stronger then they thought, it has resulted in many mistakes by the Ferrari drivers this year.
Maybe you are forgeting that in 2014 Lewis had: 1 engine failure in australia while being on pole, 1 engine failure in Canada which put him out while Rosberg didn't (and dont't take it as a given that Rosberg did a better job of handling the situation...both are given the same instructions so i don't see how one does a better job...again pure luck), 1 engine failure in Hungary Qualy...started last and still beat Rosberg in the race, 1 brake failure in germany again starting last...and if it was for a safety car that was needed at the time because a Sauber was stranded in the middle of the start-finish straight...then maybe he could have won that too! Rosberg has never started last (only in Russia 2014 when it was his own mistake locking up so badly)! So i don't see how Rosberg lost the 2014 championship from bad luck! But it is always evident that for rosberg to win a championship against hamilton he needs some bad luck from Lewis! He has never passed him on track and the whole luck thing and Lewis's words against his team has become so much of a theme in this race because remember what everyone was saying against Lewis after Singapore! -Oh Nico is on another level this year, he's outshined Lewis, Lewis has lost his edge because of partying (classic Jackie Stewart quote every time Hamilton has a bad weekend) and the new Mercedes suspension! And yet here he comes taking pole by almost half a second (and it could have been even more he said), gets a nice getaway, opens the gap when he needs to and boom there goes the engine(for the 3rd time this year)! But still anti-hamilton fans talk of karma and how rosberg deserves every bit of this year's success! At least Ricciardo took his blood back for Monaco and Spain =D> =D> sorry for the long fanboy post! but it hurt this Sunday :lol:
Just two small comments on the sum you put a lot of affords in:
You are counting race failures, absolutely correct and similar for both. But counting the Q failures is always a bit strange to me. Merc gave them a car to easily secure P2 when they start last. So all the Q failures or start problems (like the crash this weekend) are simply not worth counting. These are simply not deciding the Championship. The clearly better driver should be able to secure enough P1s when everything runs fine, which is the majority of races.

And the half second Q advantage in Malaysia:
https://twitter.com/_aarava/status/7821 ... wsrc%5Etfw
Don`t russel the hamster!

Pierce89

Finally, I just got to watch the race. WOW! That was an awesome race and reaffirmed my belief in the awesomeness that f1 still has. Even though it has lost a little bit over the years, they can still put on a hell of a show at a good track.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ThumbsUp
ThumbsUp

PhillipM wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:Well there's a whacking great electrical motor attached to the crankshaft, along with a massive battery pack. It's not that difficult to setup...
What would he have had to do ?

I know the cars have a "start mode" that the driver, (or the mechanic in the garage), selects.
Would it then be as simple as putting the car in neutral, and hitting a button on the wheel to engage the MGU-K ?

Pretty quick thinking considering the amount of time they had to do it.
I bet it's something they wouldn't have practised.
I bet it's something they have practised, in fact I'll be almost every team has code in the ecu to allow them to select a self start strategy through the rotary dials. Just in case. You'd be silly not to really.
They haven't practiced this, Sainz stated he was surprised that he started the car just at the green light and that he had to do the procedure to start the car by MGU-K twice! His engineer talked him through it.

This article is in Dutch though
http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/f1/217 ... n-maleisie

Paul

Wait, isn't there supposed to be radio silence before the start? I know this is special circumstances, but still... :wink:

Vasconia

Just to mention that Nico was last in the first lap and he was able to finish fourth, overtaking several cars , including a great overtake to Kimi which I will never understand why he received a penallty. This is the racing we love.

Just erase Nico and put another name we all imagine, and there would be tons of fans praising "the true champion" recovery in this race.

Almost no one rates Nico at the same level of Lewis or Fernando. But its good to give value to the good things he does.