2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Vasconia wrote:Mercedes has been particularly dominant on this track so if we see Ferrari close there will be some hope for this season, if they are even ahead 2017 could be a great season.
Melbourne isn't a typical "race track". I don't think you will see much correlation between this and the 2017 season. Yes, the quickest car will be ahead, but if the cars are closer matched (hasn't been the case for a few seasons now), the result here will not necessarily correlate to what will follow after.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Mercedes has been particularly dominant on this track so if we see Ferrari close there will be some hope for this season, if they are even ahead 2017 could be a great season.
Melbourne isn't a typical "race track". I don't think you will see much correlation between this and the 2017 season. Yes, the quickest car will be ahead, but if the cars are closer matched (hasn't been the case for a few seasons now), the result here will not necessarily correlate to what will follow after.
Yes I know, but traditionally Mercedes has always been quite dominant here, I meaned that perhaps a change could mean that the others are closer.

turbof1

Vasconia wrote:
Phil wrote:
Yes I know, but traditionally Mercedes has always been quite dominant here, I meaned that perhaps a change could mean that the others are closer.
Last year Ferrari matched Mercedes on race pace in Melbourne.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Phil wrote:
But their qualy was much worse. During some races it happened something similar, Ferrari was clearly behind in qualy while in race pace things were closer.

turbof1

Vasconia wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
But their qualy was much worse. During some races it happened something similar, Ferrari was clearly behind in qualy while in race pace things were closer.
Of course, but ultimately it's the race where you get the points. Qualy is important, but due the show and emphasis on it people tend to forget how quickly a hard worked qualification spot can be undone by a bad start. And we are going to see a whole lot of bad starts up and down the field this year due further regulation changes we have in that regard, meaning race pace will become even more important then last year.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote: Of course, but ultimately it's the race where you get the points. Qualy is important, but due the show and emphasis on it people tend to forget how quickly a hard worked qualification spot can be undone by a bad start. And we are going to see a whole lot of bad starts up and down the field this year due further regulation changes we have in that regard, meaning race pace will become even more important then last year.
Indeed, though if you make a good start it will be difficult to be overtaken due to the new regulations, cars,etc.

Anway, I hope race pace becomes enough important to see a second/third row car fighting for the victory.

Hamilton should be worried with those new regulations taking into account his problematic starts in 2016.

FLuidd

Ferrari 1 2 in qualifying and 1 2 in race followed by mercedes 3 4.

GoranF1

Mclaren Mercedes podium.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

notsofast

Hamilton early DNF. Easy win for Vettel. Poor start by VES who then politely stays behind RIC, because it's his home race. BOT and RAI tussle for the other two podium places. And in the end, we don't learn a whole lot about the pecking order.

dren

Hamilton pole, Hamilton victory. Mercedes and Ferrari lap the field. The race is a procession. Max tries to force a pass on Ricciardo and crashes both of them out of the race. Both Mclarens finish.
Honda!

Singabule

Both RBR DNF, Vettel DNF, Hamilton broke his wing, Stoffel finish 2 position higher than Alo, magnussen finish 6th.

godlameroso

Updated the OP with a more detailed weather forecast.
Saishū kōnā

ENGINE TUNER

turbof1 wrote:Last year Ferrari matched Mercedes on race pace in Melbourne.

Whatever gave you that idea? VET was on soft(or was it supersoft) after the red flag and ROS was on mediums and VET still could not pull a gap. The only reason it looked close in Australia last year was because of the poor start by both Mercs and then ROS running over HAM's front wing.

Ferrari did NOT match Merc's race pace last year.

Just rewatched the race yesterday

In regards to the 2017 race, it seems we have moved from tire limited race pace to a fuel limited race pace. Just might be a lot of lift and coast. Qualifying pace will be at an utmost premium this year .

GPR-A duplicate2

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Last year Ferrari matched Mercedes on race pace in Melbourne.

Whatever gave you that idea? VET was on soft(or was it supersoft) after the red flag and ROS was on mediums and VET still could not pull a gap. The only reason it looked close in Australia last year was because of the poor start by both Mercs and then ROS running over HAM's front wing.

Ferrari did NOT match Merc's race pace last year.

Just rewatched the race yesterday
Correct. Having lost the start, Lewis was stuck behind Sainz for a large part of the race and was unable to overtake in the tight confines of Albert Park, which allowed Nico to run conservative. Importantly, Nico was managing overheating breaks that was almost killing the tires at later part of the race. As per Toto, they were afraid that, the tires might blow out. The fact that Merc maintained the qualifying gap over Ferrari for pretty much all season, tells that, whatever race pace difference that they maintained over Ferrari over the season, was there in Melbourne too, but got masked because of variety of situations going against them. I bet, if Lewis would have got a straight forward start, he would have disappeared without a trace.

ENGINE TUNER

GPR-A wrote:Correct. Having lost the start, Lewis was stuck behind Sainz for a large part of the race and was unable to overtake in the tight confines of Albert Park, which allowed Nico to run conservative. Importantly, Nico was managing overheating breaks that was almost killing the tires at later part of the race. As per Toto, they were afraid that, the tires might blow out. The fact that Merc maintained the qualifying gap over Ferrari for pretty much all season, tells that, whatever race pace difference that they maintained over Ferrari over the season, was there in Melbourne too, but got masked because of variety of situations going against them. I bet, if Lewis would have got a straight forward start, he would have disappeared without a trace.

I think it was VES that HAM was stuck behind for the first stint. After the red flag, Ham was behind Sainz, but was able to eventually get past him, and was behind VES again for a couple lasts until VES pitted.

I heard nothing of overheating brakes.

Yes, either of the Mercs ahead would have significantly gapped the Ferraris, but it was telling how ROS was unable to pass RAI.