2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GoranF1
GoranF1
177
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

Honda engine will shut down every time car hits that...(if it gets that far up the track).
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

User avatar
SiLo
91
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

I can see some broken suspension going over that curb. Especially with the higher downforce levels and larger forces on the suspension members.
Felipe Baby!

User avatar
Juzh
513
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

This looks more like exit of turn 12.

Image

This will definitely take a hit on laptimes. They used to jump over the entire kerb in the past which I think will not be possible this year.

Check at 1:04 how they did it last year:
https://vimeo.com/205671084

User avatar
TAG
118
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

Pierce89 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm
You're funny. Was it Alonso or Hamilton that actually lost a season to Button?
Alonso lost to Button in the same way Lewis lost to Button. Now about that faster over the course of a race thing. I wonder what it would be like to have your teammate block drivers for you and have your team give you the prime strategy and the choice of when to pit. Alonso from what's rumored has those contracted in.

I'd love to see him in competetive equipment to have a fair chance at the front runners but sadly that's not happening this year, again.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

f1316
f1316
130
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

TAG wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 pm
Pierce89 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm
You're funny. Was it Alonso or Hamilton that actually lost a season to Button?
Alonso lost to Button in the same way Lewis lost to Button. Now about that faster over the course of a race thing. I wonder what it would be like to have your teammate block drivers for you and have your team give you the prime strategy and the choice of when to pit. Alonso from what's rumored has those contracted in.

I'd love to see him in competetive equipment to have a fair chance at the front runners but sadly that's not happening this year, again.
Sorry? Not sure I understand this one - Hamilton lost to Button by getting fewer points over the course of an entire season; how did Alonso lose to Button in this way?

Not that I care, I just don't understand.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR
84
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

Interestingly, Webber writess off Bottas and Raikkonen from the 2017 F1 title fight

https://maxf1.net/en/webber-expects-thr ... raikkonen/

User avatar
TAG
118
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

f1316 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm
Sorry? Not sure I understand this one - Hamilton lost to Button by getting fewer points over the course of an entire season; how did Alonso lose to Button in this way?

Not that I care, I just don't understand.
You cared enough to comment but is there any other way one driver loses to another driver? Alonso lost to Button. It's in the F1 history books, so that's that. If it's any consolation to you, both losses mean nothing but if someone is going to go throwing shade about losing to Button, Button (RET) is a two time multi WDC beater, he's probably more proud of that accomplishment than he is of his 2009 season.

F1 2015 Season
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

f1316
f1316
130
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

TAG wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:10 pm
f1316 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm
Sorry? Not sure I understand this one - Hamilton lost to Button by getting fewer points over the course of an entire season; how did Alonso lose to Button in this way?

Not that I care, I just don't understand.
You cared enough to comment but is there any other way one driver loses to another driver? Alonso lost to Button. It's in the F1 history books, so that's that. If it's any consolation to you, both losses mean nothing but if someone is going to go throwing shade about losing to Button, Button (RET) is a two time multi WDC beater, he's probably more proud of that accomplishment than he is of his 2009 season.
Ok, this is my bad - I'd actually forgotten that Button got more points than Alonso in 2015.

As I say, my mistake, I get the point now.

Doesn't have a huge amount to do with the Australian GP though :)

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

etusch wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am
rekoildale wrote:Everybody is underestimating one young valteri bottas!
I say bottas for the win and Hamilton finding more excuses why his season is starting badly.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
I think and wish that Bottas will beat hamilton. Bottas looks better than rosberg and...
I am sorry to break your wish but it was widely observed that Bottas lagged behind Ham in the first test causing Nikki and Toto to be a bit worried. Botas inched closer in the second test but worryingly again not on the pace that Nico was relative to Lewis. I am talking Race pace.

User avatar
SparkyAMG
6
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

Melbourne is going to be interesting. By Mercedes' own admission it is a track where they've been relatively slow in recent years compared to the rest of the calendar, so a strong Ferrari could pick up a win here.

I suspect that Mercedes are going to lose performance relative to Ferrari on street circuits due to their longer wheelbase, but will continue to dominate on tracks with high speed corners.

Vettel win, Hamilton second, Raikkonen third. Ferrari to jeopardise Raikkonen's race in a bit to split strategies.

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 am
etusch wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am
rekoildale wrote:Everybody is underestimating one young valteri bottas!
I say bottas for the win and Hamilton finding more excuses why his season is starting badly.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
I think and wish that Bottas will beat hamilton. Bottas looks better than rosberg and...
I am sorry to break your wish but it was widely observed that Bottas lagged behind Ham in the first test causing Nikki and Toto to be a bit worried. Botas inched closer in the second test but worryingly again not on the pace that Nico was relative to Lewis. I am talking Race pace.
Bottas is a quite good driver but It is not that easy to match Nico´s pace. And its evern more difficult to find a drive who can compete with Lewis.

Anyway, was anyone expecting to see Botas matching Lewis just during those tests? it should have been worring for Lewis if a newcomer would have done that.

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

CLKGTR wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 pm
Interestingly, Webber writess off Bottas and Raikkonen from the 2017 F1 title fight

https://maxf1.net/en/webber-expects-thr ... raikkonen/
It sounds logic to me, though I expect Bottas to improve through the season.

About Ferrari, the best Vettel should beat Kimi, so if the car is as good as we hope it should happen.

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

GoranF1 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:36 pm
Honda engine will shut down every time car hits that...(if it gets that far up the track).
Poor suspensions, and driver´s necks too...

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

etusch wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:18 am
rekoildale wrote:Everybody is underestimating one young valteri bottas!
I say bottas for the win and Hamilton finding more excuses why his season is starting badly.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
I think and wish that Bottas will beat hamilton. Bottas looks better than rosberg and...
Better on a wheel to wheel battle yes, but faster? I have my doubts.

User avatar
henry
306
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:49 pm
Location: England

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Post

The FIA told the Melbourne organisers to plan forT13 to be up to 50kph faster, around 280kph, so the Tecpro barriers are a probably a response to that and the kerbs are probably an attempt to "slow" the cars to keep them under 280. Given the massive increase in downforce and more compliant tyres (Pirelli have reportedly lowered minimum tyre pressures) I wonder if they'll make much difference.

The FIA also told them that teams' simulations gave lap times 3 to 4 seconds faster. Based on the 4 seconds drop I estimated a 1:18.9 at Barcelona. If the lead teams have pace in their pocket from the test I'm thinking a 1:19 might be possible in Q3 this weekend.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus