2017 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 6-8 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: 2017 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 6-8 October

ringo wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 04:35
The crash was at low speed,the parts were probably spinning so slowly there was no damage to rotating parts; just a broken shaft,
Vettel's gearbox housing was broken but the interior wasn't affected. The drive shaft came out of gearbox, but didn't have impact on the differential.

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4372442112[/media]

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 06:43
ringo wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 04:35
The crash was at low speed,the parts were probably spinning so slowly there was no damage to rotating parts; just a broken shaft,
Vettel's gearbox housing was broken but the interior wasn't affected. The drive shaft came out of gearbox, but didn't have impact on the differential.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4372442112
So the housing was broken. Which means it would need to have the internals moved to a new housing.

I'm not smelling a rat at all here. Apparently if this is true then the FIA have a very strange view of what a gearBOX is.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 07:53
Apparently if this is true then the FIA have a very strange view of what a gearBOX is.
It's pretty clearly defined in the technical regulations, although it states "it includes... the casing." So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe what was replaced fell under 9.5.2c?

2017 F1 Technical Regulations wrote:
9.5 Gearboxes

A gearbox is defined as all the parts in the drive line which transfer torque from the power unit output shaft, as described in Article 5.3.2, to the drive shafts (the drive shafts being defined as those components which transfer drive torque from the sprung mass to the un-sprung mass). It includes all components whose primary purpose is for the transmission of power or mechanical selection of gears, bearings associated with these components and the casing in which they are housed.

In this context the following parts are not considered part of the gearbox and may be changed without incurring a penalty under the F1 Sporting Regulations. If changing any of these parts involves breaking an FIA applied seal this may be done but must be carried out under FIA supervision :
a) The clutch assembly and the power unit output shaft, provided this is located prior to any mechanical speed reduction from the engine.
b) The clutch actuator and clutch release bearing(s).
c) Inboard driveshaft joints and seals but not their housing if that housing is integral with the gearbox output shaft and therefore part of the sprung mass.
d) The hydraulic system prior to the point at which it produces direct mechanical movement of the gear selection mechanism by means of hydraulic actuator(s).
e) Oil, oil pumps, oil filters, oil seals, oil coolers and any associated hoses or pipes.
f) Electrical sensors, actuators, servo valves and wiring.
g) Any parts associated with the suspension or functioning of the sprung suspension that are attached to the gearbox casing.
h) The rear impact structure provided it can be separated from any gearbox casing.
i) Any other component mounted to the casing whose primary purpose is unconnected with the transmission of power or selection of gears.

Vanja #66

Before these last few weeks, I was sure only the Serbs are crazy for conspiracy theories and ready to believe in them, however wacky they are... :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xwang
Xwang

Do you know that Ferrari has followed Mercedes in building its gearbox with an external skin which supports the rear suspensions and an internal case which contains the mechanisms. The broken "gearbox" is the external one which can replaced without any penalità (this design is born to allow suspensions redesign without incurring in penalities).

Vasconia

McG wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 03:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 00:31
f1316 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:51
Everything does look very good from a Mercedes perspective - looking at that constructors championships graph alone, you'd be sure they had completely out developed Ferrari during the season.

More worryingly for them, their update package really didn't work and I can't remember the last time I said that. Why didn't it work, will be the question they'll need to solve to ensure they don't find themselves dropping points to two team/four drivers in some of the upcoming races.

The package worked. Your expectations were too high for Malaysia that's all. Data showed higher downforce and good aerobalance.. problem was uneven heating of the tyres which they say is in the DNA of the car. No way to fix that this year no matter which aero package they introduce. Knowing this I feel the package will show it's true performance in Suzuka.
Finishing 2nd due to the 2 Ferraris not being up front. Would have been 4th and then Bottas way back. How has is that a package working.
Bottas said that the package was not working. For some reason he used it but not Lewis.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Xwang wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 08:48
Do you know that Ferrari has followed Mercedes in building its gearbox with an external skin which supports the rear suspensions and an internal case which contains the mechanisms. The broken "gearbox" is the external one which can replaced without any penalità (this design is born to allow suspensions redesign without incurring in penalities).
Well there you go. A simple explanation. In the face of incomplete information people seem to start suspecting conspiracy. :roll:

Ferrari might not be in the clear yet though.

"The gearbox will be tested Friday to see the performance and make a decision."

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4609001472[/media]

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 09:13
Xwang wrote:
Well there you go. A simple explanation. In the face of incomplete information people seem to start suspecting conspiracy. :roll:

Ferrari might not be in the clear yet though.

"The gearbox will be tested Friday to see the performance and make a decision."

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4609001472
You yourself mentioned the casing in the regs.
Without this last piece of the puzzle it did look somewhat questionable.

jz11
jz11

Xwang wrote:
but unfortunately, in the rear suspension, there is also the drive shaft that goes from the hub into the gearbox, and can transmit the impact right through the "external skin", so it not that simple

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 09:20
ChrisDanger wrote:

I presented what I could find, then shrugged. I think that's the international symbol for "Who knows man, it's a mystery to me." I don't think anyone can infer the suggestion of conspiracy from that. The only thing in question for me was that we didn't have a clear picture, not that there was anything suspicious going on.

SiLo

I think this race will be really interesting to see where the top 3 teams are in terms of pace. The last two have been skewed towards Red Bull and Ferrari who have more compliant chassis for heating the tyres properly.

Plus Hamilton is probably driving the best he's ever been, I think we are going to see some more special qualifying laps before the end of the year.
Felipe Baby!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:00
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 09:20
ChrisDanger wrote:

I presented what I could find, then shrugged. I think that's the international symbol for "Who knows man, it's a mystery to me." I don't think anyone can infer the suggestion of conspiracy from that. The only thing in question for me was that we didn't have a clear picture, not that there was anything suspicious going on.
Fair enough.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

PlatinumZealot

f1316 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 07:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 00:31
f1316 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:51
Everything does look very good from a Mercedes perspective - looking at that constructors championships graph alone, you'd be sure they had completely out developed Ferrari during the season.

More worryingly for them, their update package really didn't work and I can't remember the last time I said that. Why didn't it work, will be the question they'll need to solve to ensure they don't find themselves dropping points to two team/four drivers in some of the upcoming races.

The package worked. Your expectations were too high for Malaysia that's all. Data showed higher downforce and good aerobalance.. problem was uneven heating of the tyres which they say is in the DNA of the car. No way to fix that this year no matter which aero package they introduce. Knowing this I feel the package will show it's true performance in Suzuka.
They ran one car in one spec one in another, neither sure if they had done they right thing and the one running the new parts performing a lot worse than the guy not running them; if that's 'working' then Mercedes have an interesting development path...

In seriousness, you can say it was generating the downforce but it's due to overheating tyres or whatever - ultimately they put a package on the car and had to take it off the lead car; absolutely no way that's what they intended so it ain't an upgrade.
But it was. And Haminton said it was better and wanted to use it, but thought better of it since it would be too risky to take his car part to put on the upgrad so close to qualifying. Another interesting thing is that Bottas had a hybrid setup. He was unhappy with the new aero and new chassis setting so he decided to use Hamilton's old chassis settings with the new aero and it went horribly wrong
for as himyou can see. And when since Bottas became a benchmark for upgrades? Lol

You all need to get you emotions aside.. Forget about the diva tendencies (both car and Bottas!) the data showed it is a worthy upgrade and they will be using it here in Suzuka.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:04

But it was. And Haminton said it was better and wanted to use it, but thought better of it since it would be too risky to take his car part to put on the upgrad so close to qualifying. Another interesting thing is that Bottas had a hybrid setup. He was unhappy with the new aero and new chassis setting so he decided to use Hamilton's old chassis settings with the new aero and it went horribly wrong
for as himyou can see. And when since Bottas became a benchmark for upgrades? Lol

You all need to get you emotions aside.. Forget about the diva tendencies (both car and Bottas!) the data showed it is a worthy upgrade and they will be using it here in Suzuka.
Hamilton doesn't share your confidence...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... an-961549/