2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

TAG wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 18:19
Side by side from ESPN here.

http://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=22896872
Undisputable proof that HAM was faster under braking and thru the corners while RAI was faster down the full throttle sections. Of course this could be down to running more downforce, but it disputes the false claim that it had nothing to do with the driver.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 25 Mar 2018, 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

dans79

Phil wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 00:35
Again, why should the above figure not be plausible? Because you think so?
Because it's to Marko's benefit to blame the PU as the reason his team isn't doing as well as they think they should.
197 104 103 7

FightingHellPhish
FightingHellPhish

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 00:51
TAG wrote:

Undisputed truth that HAM was faster under braking and thru the corners while VET was faster down the full throttle sections. Of course this could be down to running more downforce, but it disputes the false claim that it had nothing to do with the driver.
Windsor put out a video last year about braking. He talked about Grosjeans useless 'I brake later than anyone' statement as well as how smooth Hamilton is on the brakes.

godlameroso

Hamilton was supreme today, his precision through 11 & 12 was unbelievable.

Look at his turn in point, and look how close he rides the curb.

This is a 290kph turn, and he just flies through it.
Saishū kōnā

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Phil wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 00:35
dans79 wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 00:25
So a very questionable figure at best!
If you are willing to doubt that as a legitimate source, we might as well disregard anything we read on the internet, by anyone. That would include various quotes by Toto as well.

Perhaps there is a little selective belief at play here, but if you have been following the McLaren-Honda topic last year, you will note reports by people trackside reporting and also confirming that all Mercedes powered cars have a very distinctive smell of burnt oil to them. I see no reason why that above quote of 0.1l for Renault engine should not be true.

Renault has the weakest PU, confirmed by various teams. Check.

Mercedes and Ferrari have both been highlighted to be investing into burning additives in the oil as reported throughout last season. Check.

Again, why should the above figure not be plausible? Because you think so?
.1l per 100km is an absurd claim, all one has to do is think back to the v10 and V8 era and remember how much oil they used to burn/pass. Do you not remember the "oil bomba" command regularly given to Alonso to move oil from the reserve tank to the main oil tank? Do you think they would go thru the complexity, volume and weight penalties of having a reserve oil tank/system for .3L oil over a race distance?

And now they also have an incredibly high speed turbo in there to lubricate as well, that passes plenty oil itself.

Regurgitating Marko's and Horner's lies has people sounding like complete idiots around here. Straight monkey hear monkey say nonsense.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

FightingHellPhish wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 01:00
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 00:51
TAG wrote:

Undisputed truth that HAM was faster under braking and thru the corners while VET was faster down the full throttle sections. Of course this could be down to running more downforce, but it disputes the false claim that it had nothing to do with the driver.
Windsor put out a video last year about braking. He talked about Grosjeans useless 'I brake later than anyone' statement as well as how smooth Hamilton is on the brakes.
Sorry, not sold on most of the nonsense that Windsor likes to sell, but I will check it out.

RZS10

I did a do:

Under the drivers' names are their laptimes in all quali sessions, to the right the improvement from hotlap to hotlap, one further to the right the improvements from session to session and at the bottom the improvement from Q1 to Q3

There's a few things worth noting looking at the total improvement from Q1 to Q3
-Vettel improved more than Kimi but Kimi started on a better lap in Q1
-Dan couldn't extract the same performance from the car as Max (started on similar times in Q1)
-Lewis, Max and Seb improved by a similar margin

Looking at differences between Q2 and Q3
-Lewis did not improve from Q2 to Q3 on his first run
-Seb's first lap in Q3 was slower than his glory run in Q2
-Lewis' improvement from Q2 to Q3 was just 0.2s better than Kimis

Lewis improvement on his last lap in "party mode" only looked as massive as it was on the timing monitor because he did not do a second run in Q2 and did the exact same time in Q2 as on his first run in Q3 - and this is the only reason why there's such a wild discussion about the engine mode ...

It's pretty much "one chunk vs. several steps"

Another thing worth keeping in mind is that Lewis put all his personal best sector times into this one lap and made no mistake whilst Max and Seb both lost some time (was that roughly one tenth for Seb and two for Max?)

Max' improvement from Q1 to Q3 was pretty much the same as Lewis' who supposedly ran the "party mode" in Q2 and in Q3 (Wolff only confirmed he used it in Q3 but never implied he did not use it in Q2) - if you substract two tenths for Max' mistake he would have had the biggest gain from Q1 to Q3 and only 0.15s to Lewis from Q2 to Q3

Unknown factor is the difference in laptimes between the compounds but Red Bull did a huge step from Q1 to Q2, that's why i also did the Q1 to Q3 comparison because Q2 doesn't matter in that one
Last edited by RZS10 on 25 Mar 2018, 02:50, edited 6 times in total.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Side-by-Side between Ham and Kimi is great. Tnx for sharing!

jurinius
jurinius

godlameroso wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 01:01
Hamilton was supreme today, his precision through 11 & 12 was unbelievable.

https://i.imgur.com/bnkb8Ma.jpg

Look at his turn in point, and look how close he rides the curb.

https://i.imgur.com/hmuM4Tg.jpg

This is a 290kph turn, and he just flies through it.
Yep and this Mercedes acting like that makes me worrying. Maybe we will have another cracky lap like this one
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Can the data people (on this site) show the braking points, throttle points, speeds etc on the turn 1 and 2 between Bottas and Hamilton in Q3? (part of a job application if you can) :wink:

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

who would be quickest in the red bull, hamilton or verstappen?
and then, if they both were in the mercedes?

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
JordanFiveOh wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 08:26
I just want to say I got to see ALL of Q1 without a commercial break on ESPN. I am a happy American fan.
On tv or on the ESPN watch app?
It was on TV. I have YouTube TV. Should be the same on WatchESPN, though. I watched both FP1 and 3 on WatchESPN and had a very small amount of commercials.

I’m curious to see how the race goes with ads.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 19:12
So you are arguing, despite Toto confirming it, Mercedes has no performance mode? Lewis Hamilton on skill alone is able to run 0,8 sec faster in one round, 0,45 of it in the mostly straight sector 1. He is able to go .45 of a second faster on a straight without a performance mode?

Why are you so stubborn in not wanting to hear anything about it. And If they have a performance mode, why cant oil burn be part of that, Andy If not, why did they put a 1,2 liter burning engine in the car at Monza last year. If it is so unimpirtant, no oil burned, why do that? That makes no sense to me.

Here, this is what I predict for next race, also Bottas will be able to go 0,4 0,5 second faster in his last Q3 round (the rest is the Hamilton surplus in quality).

Also, Yes I do believe merc has implemented it better then Ferrari.
He didn't use Party mode.... (strat 7). He only used strat 6.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... party-mode

For the oil burning i will not comment on that drivel. If anything Ferrari was burning the most oil but that is in the past now. Rules are put in place to limit it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 04:31

He didn't use Party mode.... (strat 7). He only used strat 6.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... party-mode
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/hamilton-vs-party-mode

Unfortunately, for the sake of competition, his opinion is more informed than most. So it was a 'house' party, not a frat party.

godlameroso

Weather update for the race, it's quite windy, huge cross wind. 22mph/35kph
Saishū kōnā