2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

Will they have much grip left with only the rims left? It could make for spectacular racing. 20 cars mauling on the start grid without moving more then mere inches.

GPR-A duplicate2

Sieper wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 16:59
Will they have much grip left with only the rims left? It could make for spectacular racing. 20 cars mauling on the start grid without moving more then mere inches.
It would add to the show. :lol:

18 Inch wheels after the tyre degrade.

Andres125sx

Schuttelberg wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 14:59
I've been saying this through Merc dominance and I'll say it even if Vettel wins a dominant race- Pirelli NEED TO BE KICKED OUT!
I heard something interesting at the spanish tv. Problem is not the tyres, but the huge amounts of data teams do analyse, so they know how to handle each tire to be fastest, and the way to be fastest is handling the tires to last as much laps as possible, taking care of them at the critic points of the track, so if they´re a bit slower at those points, they can do much more laps and save a pitstop, wich in the end is faster

It must be similar to fuel saving, they´re limited to 100kg, and anyone may think at those tracks where they don´t need 100kg they can go full attack mode the whole race. Wrong. They still do fuel saving because it´s faster to start the race with 90-85kg of fuel and still do some coasting.

I had never thought about this previously, but to me it was enlightening :idea:

Big Tea

One option then is simple. One tyre type.
Build it to have the endurance to do 1/3 of a race well or half slightly less well.
It does not matter how 'sticky' it is because everyones will be the same.

The other option, bring your own supplier, or free choice from 2 suppliers.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 16:03
Comic relief courtesy of FIA, Stroll crash:
...car 18 lost the rear in turn 5, as both cars were in close proximity they collided, no driver was predominantely to
blame for the incident
#-o Yep - close proximity is kind of necessary for the collision except for those telekinesis related. As long as the cars are close it doesn't matter who caused it e.i. "lost the car". Perfectly logical statement.

Stroll stated he had a puncture. Not sure if real, but the images show he lost the rear when Gasly was at the outside, causing the collision.

We can discuss about if he had a puncture or not, but saying it was comical is nosense mate

iotar__ wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 16:03
Can't be bothered to even check openly fraudulent Sainz-Perez no action excuse.
I know you will accuse me of being a spanish fanboy, but looking at the video to me what Sainz said looks more real than the rant from Checo. You can even see Sainz moving to the left before the contact, trying to dodge the FI, but Perez simply turned in way too soon.

What was really comical was Perez request of a black flag.... even if it was 100% Sainz fault, a black flag can never be the penalty in such scenario #-o

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ision.html

Roman
Roman

Please not two (or more) tire suppliers that will (as in the past) produce a tire that will be an ideal fit for their favorite customer. We will have Pirelli producing the ideal Merc (or even HAM) tire, Bridgestone producing the ideal Ferrari (or even VET) tire and then Michelin producing the ideal RB tire. The gap between the rich teams and the poorer ones will increase.

Did you all foret the tire war in the early 2000s? Where tires were part of the technical developement?

Similar effects can (but dont have to) arise with refueling. I still remember the Schumacher vs Häkkinen battles which often came down to the question "Who can stay out longer?" to put down some fast laps on an empty tank and succeed with the overcut.

What I believe will already help is to drastically limit the data that teams are collecting and that teams are able to send to their drivers.

A team that does not know how this or that tire behaves on a certain track over a certain amount of laps will either take a gamble (one stop) or go conservative (two stops). Teams will have to have different strategies as nobody can be sure which one will be the fastest. In the past years some of the best races were those with very to no running on Friday and Saturday.

And switch off the radio and bring back the good old pitwall signs. If a tire overheats the driver should feel it. If the brakes overheat a light in the cockpit can warn the driver. Radio messages shall only be used for pit stops as well as to tell the driver to stop the car immediately. Thats it. In emergency situations (i.e. danger on the track) race control can send a message to the drivers.

LM10
LM10

Roman wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:00

And switch off the radio and bring back the good old pitwall signs. If a tire overheats the driver should feel it. If the brakes overheat a light in the cockpit can warn the driver. Radio messages shall only be used for pit stops as well as to tell the driver to stop the car immediately. Thats it. In emergency situations (i.e. danger on the track) race control can send a message to the drivers.
Driving today's cars is like operating a spacecraft. Either make cars much simpler or otherwise no chance for that.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Andres125sx wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 17:35
Schuttelberg wrote:
I've been saying this through Merc dominance and I'll say it even if Vettel wins a dominant race- Pirelli NEED TO BE KICKED OUT!
I heard something interesting at the spanish tv. Problem is not the tyres, but the huge amounts of data teams do analyse, so they know how to handle each tire to be fastest, and the way to be fastest is handling the tires to last as much laps as possible, taking care of them at the critic points of the track, so if they´re a bit slower at those points, they can do much more laps and save a pitstop, wich in the end is faster

It must be similar to fuel saving, they´re limited to 100kg, and anyone may think at those tracks where they don´t need 100kg they can go full attack mode the whole race. Wrong. They still do fuel saving because it´s faster to start the race with 90-85kg of fuel and still do some coasting.

I have always said it should be a minimum fuel amount and not a maximum.

If the thirstiest engine can use 110l over a race make them all start with at least 120l.

notsofast
notsofast

None of the front runners were held up. The lack of overtaking had nothing to do with the tyres or the track or the cars. The fastest car qualified on pole. The second fastest in P2. The third in P3.
Roman wrote:
I still remember the Schumacher vs Häkkinen battles which often came down to the question "Who can stay out longer?" to put down some fast laps on an empty tank and succeed with the overcut.
Those battles were exciting only because the spectators did not know. But the teams do. If each team were to publish the number of laps they're capable of doing in their first stint, there would be no excitement.

We're simply reaching the "pinnacle" in the sense that all variables are known and can be calculated. As long as there are no unforeseen events, the race will be a procession.

zac510
zac510

LM10 wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:20
Roman wrote:

Driving today's cars is like operating a spacecraft. Either make cars much simpler or otherwise no chance for that.
Not to mention F1 actually tried that a few years ago and it went down like a lead balloon.

Semi-OT.. whenever a forum poster proposes a 'solution' to solve F1, if they don't also list a single negative point about their solution then they haven't thought about all aspects of the idea. Everything has a negative point, you just have to find it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Restomaniac wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:23

If the thirstiest engine can use 110l over a race make them all start with at least 120l.
Why make make them all start with enough for the most thirsty? Allow to start with whatever they like. If you make an engine that gets more performance per kg of fuel, you should benefit from that. Making them all carry fuel they will never need is bizarre.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

Fourth-fastest Hamilton was bedevilled by front brake locking in Q3 and was generally unhappy with a difficult oversteery balance. An odd barbeque smell was apparent in the pitlane each time he pitted – and later the remains of a bird was discovered in a brake duct. It may have played a part in him being a tenth down. He locked up into the hairpin on both his Q3 runs. On the first of them he was quicker than Vettel up to that point.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report

Extraordinary, :shock: :shock:

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Andres125sx wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 17:35
Schuttelberg wrote:

In the past, someone suggested to remove the temp/pressure sensors on the brakes and tyres. The drivers must revert to feel instead of data.

LM10
LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 19:59
Fourth-fastest Hamilton was bedevilled by front brake locking in Q3 and was generally unhappy with a difficult oversteery balance. An odd barbeque smell was apparent in the pitlane each time he pitted – and later the remains of a bird was discovered in a brake duct. It may have played a part in him being a tenth down. He locked up into the hairpin on both his Q3 runs. On the first of them he was quicker than Vettel up to that point.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report

Extraordinary, :shock: :shock:
Remains of a bird? Wouldn't a bird hit destroy a huge amount so that repairs would be needed?

zac510
zac510

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 19:30
Restomaniac wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 18:23

Why make make them all start with enough for the most thirsty? Allow to start with whatever they like. If you make an engine that gets more performance per kg of fuel, you should benefit from that. Making them all carry fuel they will never need is bizarre.
Not to mention that the teams would just configure a super-rich map, do several pit->pit laps before forming on the grid to burn off the fuel. Then the FIA would outlaw multiple pit->grid laps.
So the teams would just use the rich map on the formation lap only to burn off fuel. Then the FIA would ban changing maps during the race.
Then the teams would run the rich map only in first gear on formation/safety car laps. Then the FIA would ban that.
If you have to create 3 more rules to cover the unintended consequences, it's a pretty poorly planned rule.
And F1 is full of unintended consequences because for every 1 FIA engineer there's 20 team engineers.

As a fan the best thing is to just accept the way F1 and enjoy it rather than thinking negatively about F1 all of the time.