2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

“We had a hydraulic leak that was linked to the steering on Valtteri. And we had a drop in fuel pressure on Lewis’s car which was linked to the fuel system. This is the current understanding. So no regrets on introducing the engine.”
https://www.racefans.net/2018/07/01/mer ... e-upgrade/

Fuel pressure and steering hydraulics, different problems. Valtteri's car sounded like gearbox was dead, is there only a single hydraulic system on an F1 car?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sierra117

RZS10 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:14
Is there a replay of Verstappen ramming Kimi to gain the position?
It wasn't a ram, just a slight bump; Kimi was going to lose the place regardless because he was nearly fishtailing.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

MtthsMlw

Hamilton 27 laps old Softs

Ferrari 56 laps old Softs

Pictures from Albert Fabrega and Smilex Tech

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Ferrari and Mercs use of the tyres in the pics above is shocking. Maybe its time to change them before there's a serious accident.

RZS10 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:14
Is there a replay of Verstappen ramming Kimi to gain the position?
Max didn't ram Kimi. Their wheels touched lightly at one point when Max was still behind, but that was it.

iotar__

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:13
The gearbox is probably related to the kerbs. And the tires related to set-up.
Pathetic excuse of evil set up of the quickest car.
"The weather and tarmac temperature was significantly higher today than yesterday or Friday."
- For everyone, who else was affected? No one. Weather forecasts don't exist?
- Not the first time it happened either way (lower, higher). It's still an excuse.

How about:
- Hamilton after losing the lead, lost the plot, could not respond, lost motivation half way through and instead of racing Vettel preferred to race his team on the radio :D .
- What's the problem with the later stop if you can't make tyres last (very weird BTW) anyway?

Overall an odd albeit boring race, I would be sceptical if I cared.

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

Max gently drove his right front tyre against kimi left rear, causing the Ferrari to lose traction, and therefore getting a chance to pass Kimi.

GPR-A duplicate2

MMMMMMMM wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:25
Max gently drove his right front tyre against kimi left rear, causing the Ferrari to lose traction, and therefore getting a chance to pass Kimi.
Prior to that, Kimi came violently back on track after having out braked himself trying to overtake Hamilton, pushing Max slightly out of track. That evens it out.

MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM

Did they touch ? Did it make the RBR lose traction ? Well, you see what I mean ...it’s about gaining an advantage. Max knew very well what he was doing and got away with it. Plain and simple, no hard feelings, it’s part of racing.

Vanja #66

GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:19
Ferrari and Mercs use of the tyres in the pics above is shocking. Maybe its time to change them before there's a serious accident.
Change what?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Big Tea

iotar__ wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:24
Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:13
The gearbox is probably related to the kerbs. And the tires related to set-up.
Pathetic excuse of evil set up of the quickest car.
"The weather and tarmac temperature was significantly higher today than yesterday or Friday."
- For everyone, who else was affected? No one. Weather forecasts don't exist?
- Not the first time it happened either way (lower, higher). It's still an excuse.

How about:
- Hamilton after losing the lead, lost the plot, could not respond, lost motivation half way through and instead of racing Vettel preferred to race his team on the radio :D .
- What's the problem with the later stop if you can't make tyres last (very weird BTW) anyway?

Overall an odd albeit boring race, I would be sceptical if I cared.
If you are going down that road, how about Hamilton not saving the car or tyres?
If he had been serenely swanning off into the distance, watching his tyres and temps on everything, staying well within the safe zones, he may have finished first ans we would have been none the wiser and people would complain the tyres suited Mercedes best.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:33
GrandAxe wrote:
Change what?
Tyres.

Chene_Mostert

GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:39
Vanja #66 wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
Change what?
Tyres.
Yes, Merc should change them before they get to that state or make them last...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

LM10
LM10

Sierra117 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:59
Incredible how the "custom made tyres" argument is still being passed around like some joint when it's been debunked over and over again by drivers themselves who liked them no less.
No matter it was debunked. I believe what I see myself and the thing I saw was that Ferrari had no problems with the tyres which means they did a good job building and setting up the car. However, they are not being rewarded for their work on 3 tracks this season as special tyres are used there. "For safety reasons" Pirelli told, but I didn't see any tyre related danger today. It spiced things up. And my opinion is that if Mercedes does a good job with their car and others need to close the gap then it can be the other way around and Mercedes can try to close the gap regarding tyre use.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Chene_Mostert wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:41
GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:39
Vanja #66 wrote:

Change what?
Tyres.
Yes, Merc should change them before they get to that state or make them last...
We've already had one explosive delamination this year. The Ferrari tyre in the pic has a particularly angry blister on the inside shoulder, its possible the Merc one has those on the shoulder too. Its just a matter of time before an accident.

PlatinumZealot

GrandAxe wrote:

The Ferrari tyres look to have a better wear pattern than the blistered mercedes one. So i guess even if it was a straight fight it looks like a matter of when not if Ferarri would come out on top..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏