2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:25
GPR-A wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 16:01
In the first few gears, you can configure loads of torque (doesn't matter how much power you generate)
SIgh. More torque at a given engine speed equals more power. If an engine generates twice as much torque at 3000rpm as the next engine, then it is also generating twice the power at 3000rpm as the next engine.
Is that a reality of the current situation? Think about it. I am not arguing on which PU is generating more or less power a given RPM range. You are only telling what is obvious to everyone.

Even if you illogically assume that one PU is generating WAY more power than the other PU in those early gears at the same RPM range, it only induces large amount of wheel spin if your chassis can't handle it and thrust forward. That's my point.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

This season, Merc was faster when it comes to corners so I think it will very close with Merc being slight favorites. Although Red Bull will be closer too. I expect a 6 way fight. Less than half a second separating 1st from the 6th.

Big Tea

Also remember they have to get it onto the tarmac. Its not just being available, but usable and able to be transmitted.
Huge power is meaningless if it just spins the wheels.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

iotar__

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:31
Wow the Hungarian GP thread went up quickly this week! Thanks for posting.

Merc may be stronger here than they were last year. And this isn't a power track where Ferrari can unleash the full potential of that devastating PU.
- One thing's certain Wolff can't whine about 0,5 s on the straights deficit, full RB style, if they are behind Ferrari.
- Let's see how much mid/low speed magic depends on hypersofts and how much on design choices and general tyre management. I think Merc should be fine.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

I will be in Hungary this weekend by myself. Anyone want to join me can contact.

And are the driver line ups for the testing after the race confirmed?

zibby43
zibby43

iotar__ wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 21:04
zibby43 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:31
Wow the Hungarian GP thread went up quickly this week! Thanks for posting.

Merc may be stronger here than they were last year. And this isn't a power track where Ferrari can unleash the full potential of that devastating PU.
- One thing's certain Wolff can't whine about 0,5 s on the straights deficit, full RB style, if they are behind Ferrari.
- Let's see how much mid/low speed magic depends on hypersofts and how much on design choices and general tyre management. I think Merc should be fine.
I don't think he was whining, although I can see how it comes across that way. I mean, it was true that Merc got blitzed on the straights in Germany. He applauded Ferrari for the gains they achieved, too. When the folks at Brixworth see comments like that from Toto, it has to motivate them. I know it would motivate me.

But re: the second part of that statement - absolutely. This is a great opportunity to see what strides the W09 has made in the chassis/aero department since Austria.

I think this will be one of the most fascinating races of the season. Wouldn't mind some more rain to spice things up, too.

Vasconia

A similar scenario to Monaco could be expected though I don´t think RB Will be that superior. I expect a battle between RB and Ferrari for the pole, I still have doubts about how fast Mercedes Will be on this track. Vettel needs desperately a pole & victory here.

Hamilton is bringing less soft tyres than Ferrari, not a surprise. Let´s see if this tyre will be better for the race and Ferrari is forced drive with a delta to keep the tyres alive.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Vasconia wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 08:31
A similar scenario to Monaco could be expected though I don´t think RB Will be that superior. I expect a battle between RB and Ferrari for the pole, I still have doubts about how fast Mercedes Will be on this track. Vettel needs desperately a pole & victory here.

Hamilton is bringing less soft tyres than Ferrari, not a surprise. Let´s see if this tyre will be better for the race and Ferrari is forced drive with a delta to keep the tyres alive.
Less soft tyres? I assume you meant more?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

You should not forgot two keys elements;
First it's probably the favorite track of Hamilton (with Monza and Austin I think)

Second the lenght of that Mercedes car could be a problem on a karting track like this one and especially through the last sector.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 08:46
Vasconia wrote:

He meant that the tyres they are bringing are less soft i.e. harder.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 09:46
Restomaniac wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Exactly, sorry because I was too lazy to use the appropiate term for each tyre. :D

Vasconia

Spoutnik wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 09:00
You should not forgot two keys elements;
First it's probably the favorite track of Hamilton (with Monza and Austin I think)

Second the lenght of that Mercedes car could be a problem on a karting track like this one and especially through the last sector.
I thought they were Canada and Silverstone. Well, he is pretty good on many tracks so I guess Hungary and Austin Will be among the best ones.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vasconia wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 10:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Exactly, sorry because I was too lazy to use the appropiate term for each tyre. :D
You were correct, don't worry. If you'd meant a smaller number you'd have said "fewer soft tyres". 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1Krof

This is a Red Bull track for sure, and Riccardo is a master of this track. If Ferrari doesn't get the pole with their engine advantage, I don't see anybody beating Riccardo.
Wroom wroom

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Ah, right. I was scratching me head then wondering if I had missed something. :lol: