2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dfegan358
dfegan358

Re: 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

This year the trend always seems to favour the one stop strategy and track position over 2 stops and faster stints.

Definitely the step in compounds makes it more interesting, especially with possibility of a large delta between the soft and hyper soft.

Sevach
Sevach

Zynerji wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 00:11
Sevach wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 23:39
The interesting question here is can you do Hyper>Ultra one stop?
If not which is gonna be faster Hyper>Ultra>Ultra(or Hyper again) vs Ultra>Soft

The step makes it interesting imo.
I think you might end up with an Inter in there somewhere...🤣
You guys need to understand something about weather predictions a week in advance... If there's a chance that it's gonna rain for 20 minutes in the middle of the day, it's gonna be displayed as a rainy day.

Zynerji

Who cares, really? The weather predictions never seem to be accurate more than 48 hours out anyways...

Sevach
Sevach

dfegan358 wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 00:47
This year the trend always seems to favour the one stop strategy and track position over 2 stops and faster stints.

Definitely the step in compounds makes it more interesting, especially with possibility of a large delta between the soft and hyper soft.
Specially at a track like Marina Bay, but if the difference is too great...

godlameroso

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 21:22
it will be fun if it rains, otherwise gonna be a boring one
The rain tends to happen in the afternoon, not so much at night. Last year was probably the first time it's been wet during the race since 2008.
Saishū kōnā

f1316
f1316

Last year was, in my opinion, Seb’s finest moment of the season in quali (perhaps level with his Mexico pole) followed by his lowest at the race start (coincidentally also mirrored by the Mexico race start!). Given some of his problems at starts this year, maybe it’s not a coincidence - he may be trying to do too much to gain or maintain positions in the first few corners.

That said though, if rain doesn’t come, Seb’s mega at this circuit and pole usually translates to win here, so I think a ‘normal’ race sees a Vettel victory.

The question mark for me is Mercedes’ performance relative to RB and Kimi; last year it seems they good in race trim - particularly on a low grip/drying track - but if they find themselves 5/6 on the grid and NO rain, we could see the title race close up once again.

Sieper

Although I absolutely applaud Sebs result in qualy here last year (not only the result, but also the determination with which he achieved that, it was impressive) I do feel he took much risk. If I remember correctly he had 2 big wall brushes. It could have ended in tears. And well, like you also said, it did end in tears already at the start where he continued to take very large risks. At some points the odds stop favouring you.

this year Fer has made a big step in power (and chassis likely as well) RBR will not be as close. I expect a fight directly with Ham in the Merc (who have made an almost equally big power jump).

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... toren-leis tung-ferrari-10-ps-vor-mercedes/

NathanOlder

So the Ferrari long wheel base wont hurt them this year against Red Bull ?

Monaco in 17 saw Vettel nearly 8 tenths faster than RIcciardo. (or best Ferrari was 3 tenths faster than best RB)
Monaco in 18 saw Ricciardo over 2 tenths faster than Vettel. (or best RB was 2 tenths faster than best Ferrari)

So we saw atleast a 5 tenth gain, or with the same 2 drivers a 1 second gain in RB's favour.

Then add the fact the Ferrari PU has improved more than the Renault PU over the last 12 months, It would appear that the longer wheel base of this years Ferrari really hurt Ferrari on the streets of Monaco. Now I know the streets of Singapore are different, but it still has only 1 or 2 fast corners and 20+ slow corners, so Surely Red Bull will be in a better position than they were 12 months ago. With Ferrari in a lesser position
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

I hope you are right.

But The big Power Jump came after Monaco (In Montreal) and that is what made the real difference for RBR as opposed to Ferrari for this year so the Monaco result (where they (in the hands of Ricciardo) indeed were king might not translate so well anymore. Bu I for one do hope so, you bring up some good points.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 16:09
So the Ferrari long wheel base wont hurt them this year against Red Bull ?

Monaco in 17 saw Vettel nearly 8 tenths faster than RIcciardo. (or best Ferrari was 3 tenths faster than best RB)
Monaco in 18 saw Ricciardo over 2 tenths faster than Vettel. (or best RB was 2 tenths faster than best Ferrari)

So we saw atleast a 5 tenth gain, or with the same 2 drivers a 1 second gain in RB's favour.

Then add the fact the Ferrari PU has improved more than the Renault PU over the last 12 months, It would appear that the longer wheel base of this years Ferrari really hurt Ferrari on the streets of Monaco. Now I know the streets of Singapore are different, but it still has only 1 or 2 fast corners and 20+ slow corners, so Surely Red Bull will be in a better position than they were 12 months ago. With Ferrari in a lesser position
That is my thinking too.

Ferrari seemed to have decided that the Mercedes way is best.
In so much that they have gone longer. Thus giving away tracks like Monaco and Singapore for a more balanced car that is better across the board.

The Red Bull is tiny in comparison and on a twisty track is at its best. Also bear in mind that Ferrari seem to have devolved a problem with eating rear tyres. Hardly sounds like the best situation in Singapore.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Sieper wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 17:03
I hope you are right.

But The big Power Jump came after Monaco (In Montreal) and that is what made the real difference for RBR as opposed to Ferrari for this year so the Monaco result (where they (in the hands of Ricciardo) indeed were king might not translate so well anymore. Bu I for one do hope so, you bring up some good points.
Singapore is probably the second worst track for engine power related advantages. Ferrari/Mercedes cannot just power their way to victory here.

Sieper

Ferrari only missed pole in Monaco by 0,2, they have a big power gain since the race after that, might just do the trick.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Sieper wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 17:32
Ferrari only missed pole in Monaco by 0,2, they have a big power gain since the race after that, might just do the trick.
0.2s is a decent amount in modern F1

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

Sieper wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 15:14
Although I absolutely applaud Sebs result in qualy here last year (not only the result, but also the determination with which he achieved that, it was impressive) I do feel he took much risk. If I remember correctly he had 2 big wall brushes. It could have ended in tears. And well, like you also said, it did end in tears already at the start where he continued to take very large risks. At some points the odds stop favouring you.

this year Fer has made a big step in power (and chassis likely as well) RBR will not be as close. I expect a fight directly with Ham in the Merc (who have made an almost equally big power jump).

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... toren-leis tung-ferrari-10-ps-vor-mercedes/
You dont the power here. and those very low speed corners is redbull all the way.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

with rain max on pole and race win.
with out rain max on pole and race win