2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Slo Poke wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 19:37
Restomaniac wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 18:05
ajdavison2 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 22:17

Hi there,

I've had the fortune of going to Silverstone 3 times, once working, once in GA and once in a grandstand. For GA I'd reccomend Stowe corner, can see the cars coming up from hanger straight and some good action into Stowe corner. There's a large patch of grass there with good views of the tracks, one of the large screens and close to stuff like toilets and food. Plus it's not so close to the track that the little guys ears might suffer.
Thanks Stowe corner it is =D> Now does anyone have a padded room or some rope to stop him hurting himself whilst he’s bouncing off the frigging walls?
Take something along with you, the little fella can stand on, that puts him head and shoulders above your height otherwise he’ll see nothing!
Thanks.

Webber2011
Webber2011

ajdavison2 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 22:17
Restomaniac wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 12:12
I’m after a bit of advice.

I’m taking my 10 year old for the first time. Where would folks on here think would be best for us to park out backsides so he can see with a general admission (none grandstand) ticket?
Hi there,

I've had the fortune of going to Silverstone 3 times, once working, once in GA and once in a grandstand. For GA I'd reccomend Stowe corner, can see the cars coming up from hanger straight and some good action into Stowe corner. There's a large patch of grass there with good views of the tracks, one of the large screens and close to stuff like toilets and food. Plus it's not so close to the track that the little guys ears might suffer.
Hey there mate, if it's anything like the GP here in Aus', there's "mini" grandstands,(only 3 or 4 tiers high), scattered around the GA areas.
Try to get there real early and stake a spot in one of them or your young fella won't see much once it's crowded.

Have a great day !

*Edit*
DOH 🙈
I didn't see there was another page and this has already been covered.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Take and use high strength sunscreen. This is important - there is no shade in the general admission areas. It's an old airfield and so is open to the elements. You usually get some breeze and it can fool you in to thinking it's not hot, but the sun will get you. Trust me, been there, had serious sunburn on my legs after watching qualifying one year at Stowe with the sun behind me. Take a hat and sunglasses as well and plenty of water. If it's just the two of you, take food too or you'll lose your spot when you go looking for a burger (which will be expensive anyway, as is the water). A cool box gives a seat too as well as keeping water and grub cool. A golf umbrella can provide shade and is obviously good if it rains - there's no other cover don't forget.

You need to be there early to get a spot - and that means really early. Turn up at mid morning and you'll likely be at the back of the general admission areas. You have a long time to keep yourself amused until the race (the support races are ok but you might just need something else) so a book / handheld etc would be worthwhile.

Pick a spot with a view of a big screen so you can what the race elsewhere on track. Good to help the youngster keep track too which hopefully will keep them engaged / happy.

Have a great day!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:26
Take and use high strength sunscreen.
This is very good advice. My first time there I was left peeling skin off in my tent :D

Titchener
Titchener

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:26
Take and use high strength sunscreen. This is important - there is no shade in the general admission areas. It's an old airfield and so is open to the elements. You usually get some breeze and it can fool you in to thinking it's not hot, but the sun will get you. Trust me, been there, had serious sunburn on my legs after watching qualifying one year at Stowe with the sun behind me. Take a hat and sunglasses as well and plenty of water. If it's just the two of you, take food too or you'll lose your spot when you go looking for a burger (which will be expensive anyway, as is the water). A cool box gives a seat too as well as keeping water and grub cool. A golf umbrella can provide shade and is obviously good if it rains - there's no other cover don't forget.

You need to be there early to get a spot - and that means really early. Turn up at mid morning and you'll likely be at the back of the general admission areas. You have a long time to keep yourself amused until the race (the support races are ok but you might just need something else) so a book / handheld etc would be worthwhile.

Pick a spot with a view of a big screen so you can what the race elsewhere on track. Good to help the youngster keep track too which hopefully will keep them engaged / happy.

Have a great day!
You sound well experienced, how bad is it if you don't reserve a spot? I'd like to have a wander round and soak up everything without wishing to claim a space all day.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It's a while since I last went on qualifying or race day, but there are prime spots that give the best views. Regulars tend to fill those early. If you get a good spot and you're on your own, then it will get taken by someone else unless you have a chair or something similar, and you agree with others around you to keep an eye on the spot for you. Obviously, if there are two or more of you in a group, then you have flexibility.

If you're happy to wander, you could actually walk around and see bits of the race from different vantage points. For example, I've always liked the outside of Copse - you can look straight down the old start/finish straight and watch the cars turn in to Copse. Trust me - if you've never seen a serious downforce car live, then you'll be amazed by how quickly they can corner - Copse allows you to see them from straight ahead on the approach so you get the full view of the rate of angle change. A walk along to the outside of Maggots (the right turn in to the complex) puts you right next to the track and again a great view of the direction change and sheer speed - 180mph, after all. Walk along a bit further around to Chapel and look back up the track back towards Copse and see them string the complex together. More impressions of corning speed. Down to Stowe for an overtake or two (hopefully). Again, a quick corner. If you walk around from the start straight, you can turn left at the Abbey kink, walk under the old bridge corner and get up to Luffield/Woodcote for the start of the old start/finish straight and then round to Copse.

Bear in mind that you can end up missing much of the race if you move around. The paths are behind grandstands and general admission banks so you need to be prepared to hustle between spots and then crane to get a good view over everyone else. Ideally, one would go on more than one day so getting a chance to walk around and see bits from different vantage points before grabbing a spot on race day. Actually, to be brutally honest, I'd say the best thing is to go on Friday, watch the practice sessions - allowing lots of wandering time, smaller crowds etc. - and then watch the race on TV at home.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Juzh wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 13:51
here's last year's bottas, vettel, hamilton battle
https://streamable.com/j14lp
What an enthralling battle ! I had completely forgotten about it. Although Bottas defended valiantly against Vettel for a long time, holding Hamilton up after getting overtaken was one of those intra team brain farts, like Vettel and Leclerc this year in Spain. And as always, thank you for posting these.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. It’s great info that will come in superbly no doubt =D>

Vasconia

The return to cooler temperatures will make Mercedes quite happy but the combination of fast corners shouldn´t be too bad for Ferrari so I hope they can be strong here. Its about time to see Ferrari winning.

McLaren should be strong too.

As it has been already mentioned we haven´t seen a true wet race for a while, something I really miss. :cry:

SiLo

Still enough low - medium speed corners for Mercedes to stretch their legs. I think it could be a nice close race this one.
Felipe Baby!

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 00:27
Actually, to be brutally honest, I'd say the best thing is to go on Friday, watch the practice sessions - allowing lots of wandering time, smaller crowds etc. - and then watch the race on TV at home.
This is what we do. We tried Saturday last year and even with a screen and a phone it was hard to follow what was going on. Fridays are great, it's all relaxed and you can move around and watch different corners, soak up the sound and how incredibly fast the cars are, then carry those sensations back with you while you watch on TV

garygph
garygph

izzy wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 10:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 00:27
Actually, to be brutally honest, I'd say the best thing is to go on Friday, watch the practice sessions - allowing lots of wandering time, smaller crowds etc. - and then watch the race on TV at home.
This is what we do. We tried Saturday last year and even with a screen and a phone it was hard to follow what was going on. Fridays are great, it's all relaxed and you can move around and watch different corners, soak up the sound and how incredibly fast the cars are, then carry those sensations back with you while you watch on TV
Exactly how I have best enjoyed a race. Also I cannot stand traffic and queues for everything including a toilet break! :)

waynes
waynes

new GP deal for Silverstone to be announced this weekend? I wouldnt be entirely surprised :)

godlameroso

Weather forecast for this weekend. Light rain is possible on Friday. Going to be cloudy the rest of the weekend. Much cooler than in Austria. Temps in the mid 20's.

As usual it will be windy, blowing southeast on friday, then southwest for the rest of the weekend. It means a tail wind all the way from Copse to Stowe.
Saishū kōnā

bluechris

godlameroso wrote:Weather forecast for this weekend. Light rain is possible on Friday. Going to be cloudy the rest of the weekend. Much cooler than in Austria. Temps in the mid 20's.

As usual it will be windy, blowing southeast on friday, then southwest for the rest of the weekend. It means a tail wind all the way from Copse to Stowe.
Thx.. this means MB 1-2 and the rest of the field trying to heat up tyres, i will better record the race to go to swim in a beach.