2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

richardn wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 10:05
On the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50143535 Mercedes are talking down their chances, so you know they're expecting to do well.
already after the Spielberg grand Prix Mercedes said that they are expecting similar kind of problems in Mexico though - so maybe they are not just sandbagging this time

PlatinumZealot

Tyres, tyres, tyres...

with everybody's packages well developed and running their max-downforce - and it still isn't enough to light the tyres up how they want! - it will be all about who gets the tyres right.
Mercedes had the downforce and the engine last year but remember they were toothless in the race because their tyres were graining.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy
izzy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 15:22
Tyres, tyres, tyres...

with everybody's packages well developed and running their max-downforce - and it still isn't enough to light the tyres up how they want! - it will be all about who gets the tyres right.
Mercedes had the downforce and the engine last year but remember they were toothless in the race because their tyres were graining.
It was interesting what Mark Hughes was saying about the track temperature being less controlled by ambient air temperature and more by solar, so it can go extra high like 50 degrees. tho atm it's looking more like showers. But if the sun does come out it'll heat up very quickly, and also presumably on the same basis tyre temps will be more affected by track temperature than usual as well. So one sunny lap in qualy could change it all

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tyres, tyres, tyres...

Merc didn't have enough (low spwed) downforce last year, that is why they were graining(I think), that is also why they weren't fastest in Monaco '17 either.

You are right about Mexico being all about tires, which is why it seems strange to me that pirelli has brought harder tires which would be even more difficult for the teams to switch on, I would think.

Tire, tires, tires, for sure.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Tyres, tyres, tyres...

Last year Merc had lower downforce than Ferrari who themselves had less downforce than RBR, it was pretty linear there and they had more graining as a result of lower downforce.

This year they and Ferrari have somewhat switched concepts so more likely they'll have the better tire control in race this year.

LM10
LM10

Looks like high rain possibility for pretty much the whole weekend.

godlameroso

Light rain.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

"I don't know when we'll be getting another pole but it is not all about qualifying. It's about getting the car ready for the race, this track bodes well for the Ferrari and Red Bulls but maybe we will have a better chance than in the past."

- Hamilton

Going out on a limb here, with the way Merc take care of the tires this year, and considering how critical tires are in the race at this venue, I think they could be very strong. They won't be passing any Ferraris on the straights though; so they'll need luck or a fantastic strategy.

izzy
izzy

zibby43 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 21:24
"I don't know when we'll be getting another pole but it is not all about qualifying. It's about getting the car ready for the race, this track bodes well for the Ferrari and Red Bulls but maybe we will have a better chance than in the past."

- Hamilton

Going out on a limb here, with the way Merc take care of the tires this year, and considering how critical tires are in the race at this venue, I think they could be very strong. They won't be passing any Ferraris on the straights though; so they'll need luck or a fantastic strategy.
perhaps Ferrari will have to load on some really dirty downforce?

zibby43
zibby43

izzy wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 22:22
zibby43 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 21:24

- Hamilton

perhaps Ferrari will have to load on some really dirty downforce?
On that very topic, Vettel was quoted as saying that the Ferrari is a very efficient car, but that doesn't count for much in Mexico, so they won't be able to use it to their advantage.

I'm fascinated to see what their race pace will look like in FP2.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25 - FP1 & FP2 WEATHER

Conditions: Patchy rain possible
Maximum temperature expected: 21 Celsius
Chance of rain: 82%

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 26 - FP3 & QUALIFYING WEATHER

Conditions: Patchy rain possible
Maximum temperature expected: 23 Celsius
Chance of rain: 70%

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 27 - RACE WEATHER

Conditions: Moderate to heavy showers
Maximum temperature expected: 25 Celsius
Chance of rain: 59%

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 22:36
On that very topic, Vettel was quoted as saying that the Ferrari is a very efficient car, but that doesn't count for much in Mexico, so they won't be able to use it to their advantage.
Honestly, I'm not expecting Ferrari to do well here.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 23:20
zibby43 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 22:36
Honestly, I'm not expecting Ferrari to do well here.
I'll be keeping an eye on the following: 1) how they (and the other 2 top teams) treat their tires; 2) how big their PU advantage is in qualifying. I'm also wondering whether they'll even run the Spec 3 PU in Mexico.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 23:39
I'll be keeping an eye on the following: 1) how they (and the other 2 top teams) treat their tires; 2) how big their PU advantage is in qualifying. I'm also wondering whether they'll even run the Spec 3 PU in Mexico.
I agree, in Mexico looking after the tires seems to be the most important thing. Total DF is second, and PU output a distant 3rd.
197 104 103 7

search

Mexico is really an interesting race, hard to predict. I mean, last year, basically Renault was 2nd best car on Friday...

Engine-wise Renault seems to be pushing the limits very far here, so a DNF is always possible, but if not, I'd think McLaren could really spring a surprise this time. Their high downforce package seems to be good, they are the most gentle on tires, and if we go by last year, the Renault engine could be an advantage as well.

izzy
izzy

dans79 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 23:54
I agree, in Mexico looking after the tires seems to be the most important thing. Total DF is second, and PU output a distant 3rd.
they need downforce to look after the tyres, it's the same thing almost. Their problem is that this year the carcass is stiffer and needs plenty of load to work it and warm it up. If they can't get the structure warm the surface of the tyre skates around and slides and grains. Then if it's doing that it's not working the carcass so it's a death spiral. Downforce is the only solution and it's a ray of hope that it might cost Ferrari a lot of efficiency to get to that tipping point