2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

Pyrone89 wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 02:20
f1jcw wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 01:48
godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 23:01
I sincerely doubt that.
Doubt what? That they have a better suspension then RedBull, strange I’d have said they have done for many a year.
I think he meant it is already more than a year that Merc is ahead lf RB with regards to suspension.
Frankly with regards to bumps and kerbs I think the RB16 is the class of the field, so even with Mercedes' having a very slow corner advantage I think it balances out. It may swing the balance of power, luckily now Mercedes no longer have a big downforce advantage in the high speed stuff like they had last year. So although RB has lost a bit of their low speed corner advantage, they gained in other areas. They'll be very close, closer than they were last year, and the Honda engine is progressing nicely as well.
Saishū kōnā

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

godlameroso wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 03:22
f1jcw wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I sincerely doubt that.
Doubt what? That they have a better suspension then RedBull, strange I’d have said they have done for many a year.
I was replying to the person quoting Andy Greene saying that DAS is worth a few tenths. It's not. Front toe isn't as effective as rear toe regarding direction change. Mercedes DAS only works the front wheels.
There is video evidence supporting the change in toe to the front wheels. Has any evidence been supplied to confirm it does not change the toe on the rear wheels as well?

JonoNic

Fulcrum wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

I was replying to the person quoting Andy Greene saying that DAS is worth a few tenths. It's not. Front toe isn't as effective as rear toe regarding direction change. Mercedes DAS only works the front wheels.
There is video evidence supporting the change in toe to the front wheels. Has any evidence been supplied to confirm it does not change the toe on the rear wheels as well?
How would changing the toe on the rear wheels affect directional change on a straight? Could it make the car unstable enough to make it dangerous in an emergency situation? e.g. like debri avoidance on a straight.
Last edited by JonoNic on 09 Mar 2020, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Always find the gap then use it.

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I sincerely doubt that.
First of all, he didn’t say it’s worth that much at all tracks. It depends on multiple variables.

Second of all, DAS isn’t about gaining tenths through direction change.

It’s all about the tires. Better tire preparation/care is *easily* worth a few tenths on most tracks. It's about changing how you work the tires on the straights.

Green:

“I think the magnitude of the benefit is going to be dependent upon lots of factors from the tyres you’re running, to the track you’re running at, to the basic handling of the car. I think the benefit will be dependent on all of those factors.

At some tracks [there’ll be] very little benefit, at some tracks maybe it’s worth a few tenths. It’s a variable.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/05/das ... me-tracks/

etusch

Fulcrum wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 04:46
godlameroso wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

Same thing at rear may cause a loss of driver feeling and car's behavior in unexpectad conditions. (I am not sure but I think )
By the way I wonder will drivers confuse or not between pulls and push during wheel to wheel fight. If they didn't enough training to became natural with das like normal steering act. But I don't think they could do this.

GPR-A

etusch wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 08:44
Fulcrum wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Same thing at rear may cause a loss of driver feeling and car's behavior in unexpectad conditions. (I am not sure but I think )
By the way I wonder will drivers confuse or not between pulls and push during wheel to wheel fight. If they didn't enough training to became natural with das like normal steering act. But I don't think they could do this.
Great discussion. But what has this got to do with Australian GP thread?

Vasconia

kimetic wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 17:22
Joseph Hudson wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 16:35
not sure if this is good or not
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2158177
Dry qualy and light rain through the race, sounds perfect to me! What a great start to the season, let's hope it doesn't change.
Sadly, it usually changes so I expect no rain, but it would be great because to overtake here is quite difficult and Mercedes is traditionally quite superior.

etusch

GPR-A wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 09:21
etusch wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:

This is related for every race of this season as long as das is on the merc car.

GPR-A

etusch wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 10:45
GPR-A wrote:
etusch wrote:

This is related for every race of this season as long as das is on the merc car.
Discussion of a car's feature, belongs in a race thread?

Wouter

GPR-A wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 11:18
Why not when Bottas wants to drive something new: DAS in Australia for the first time?

You have nothing against talking about taking toilet paper to Australia here, and comparing the wheel suspensions between the teams?
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

GPR-A wrote:
etusch wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
Das is technical thing but it has affect on race like every other part. We are talking how it affect performance and how it will be driving with such a non intuitive thing in the race. I think there is no problem.

SiLo

I think Merc will be fastest and a lot of people here are going to be disappointed.
Felipe Baby!

turbof1

etusch wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 12:16
GPR-A wrote:
etusch wrote:

Das is technical thing but it has affect on race like every other part. We are talking how it affect performance and how it will be driving with such a non intuitive thing in the race. I think there is no problem.
As long as you are talking it terms of performance and not in the sense of hardware, and it stays relevant to the specific race of Melbourne, than it's ok to talk about it here. Rules for the race thread are not (and should not) as stringent for race threads (although general forum policy still applies of course).

So for instance talking about it regarding specific corners of Melbourne, I'm ok with that. I'd be also ok with it to have that in the car thread, but I accept the line is quite muddled. If needed, we will move posts.
#AeroFrodo

etusch

SiLo wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 12:18
I think Merc will be fastest and a lot of people here are going to be disappointed.
And if another option is true other lots of people going to be disappointed. Disappointing is constant here 😁

JonoNic

etusch wrote:
SiLo wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 12:18
And if another option is true other lots of people going to be disappointed. Disappointing is constant here
For now I'm just hoping for a race.
Always find the gap then use it.