2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:52
siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:48
El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:30

100% this. They definitely gave it because Albon spun, rather than just ran wide and didn’t make the pass or lost one place. Very poor stewarding. Judge the contact and not the consequences.

What Vettel did earlier in the race was objectively worse, yet because it didn’t impact the driver he hit, no penalty. Him spinning was ‘justice’ but you can’t change how to apply the rules based on that. This is why we get into so many stupid situations and why there are so much arguments about decisions made and penalties handed out. The rules aren’t applied with any consistency whatsoever.

There are stacks of similar situations and collisions, but the decision to penalise or not seems to be utterly subjective.
Yup true, Just like in Monza 2019 when Leclerc almost cased an incident and Leclerc didnt get any penalty because Lewis didnot have any damage and didnt lose any place
It's all about the show. Anything that adds drama to the season is OK.
Yup true, The multiple safety car today was an example.
What happened to Virtual Safety car? why was it never used?

zeph
zeph

To me it looked like a racing incident, unfortunate for Albon, but his attempt looked a bit over-optimistic.

But maybe there is a belief that weighing Hamilton down like this will create a more exciting championship?

Anyway, not a bad race, but I do feel the SC’s were all unnecessary. It is clear they are deployed now for anything and everything, just to close up the pack and start the race afresh, essentially.

Ferrari’s race pace doesn’t look too bad. Not sure what happened in quali yesterday. And McLaren has looked strong all weekend, that’s good for the sport, but both a blessing and a curse for Renault.

DChemTech
DChemTech

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Yup true, Just like in Monza 2019 when Leclerc almost cased an incident and Leclerc didnt get any penalty because Lewis didnot have any damage and didnt lose any place
Although I cannot find a reference now, if I recall correctly it was announced some time ago that there would be fewer trackside marshalls during Corona, hence they would resort to the safety car pretty much for every incident.

siskue2005

DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:13
siskue2005 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Although I cannot find a reference now, if I recall correctly it was announced some time ago that there would be fewer trackside marshalls during Corona, hence they would resort to the safety car pretty much for every incident.
So what is stopping them from using a Virtual Safety Car?

PlatinumZealot

zeph wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:05
To me it looked like a racing incident, unfortunate for Albon, but his attempt looked a bit over-optimistic.

But maybe there is a belief that weighing Hamilton down like this will create a more exciting championship?

Anyway, not a bad race, but I do feel the SC’s were all unnecessary. It is clear they are deployed now for anything and everything, just to close up the pack and start the race afresh, essentially.

Ferrari’s race pace doesn’t look too bad. Not sure what happened in quali yesterday. And McLaren has looked strong all weekend, that’s good for the sport, but both a blessing and a curse for Renault.
BIINGO!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

cplchanb
cplchanb

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:14
DChemTech wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

no guts and no trust that drivers can obey double yellows. mag's car was at the back of the run off area. even russells car was completely off line and honestly they couldve just left it there. there was a 0.01 chance of hitting it unless somebody really wanted to

leftyiz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:20
zeph wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:05

BIINGO!
border line consipirationist but given the transparency we get form these steward decisions I'd say why not ?!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

siskue2005 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Phil wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:07
What irks me about the stewards penalty is because it feels like they only gave it because Albon lost so many position, not because Hamilton did anything wrong. If he was solely to blame, why not throw the book at him? This is the wrong reason to give out penalties IMO.
100% this. They definitely gave it because Albon spun, rather than just ran wide and didn’t make the pass or lost one place. Very poor stewarding. Judge the contact and not the consequences.

What Vettel did earlier in the race was objectively worse, yet because it didn’t impact the driver he hit, no penalty. Him spinning was ‘justice’ but you can’t change how to apply the rules based on that. This is why we get into so many stupid situations and why there are so much arguments about decisions made and penalties handed out. The rules aren’t applied with any consistency whatsoever.

There are stacks of similar situations and collisions, but the decision to penalise or not seems to be utterly subjective.
I’ve already brought that up those laying into Hamilton have just decided to ignore it though. Strange isn’t it!

Phil

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:26
The whole pushing a guy wide is illegal, has been illegal forever, there's some tolerance/gray area to it(and yes the same Albon squeezed Hamilton on lap 1) what there isn't is a "well he took the risk" addendum to the rules.
But it is illegal to push someone wide if the car is far enough alongside, otherwise you might as well forbid overtaking around the outside.

Hamilton decided to wait, Albon went for it, and i think a penalty was fair, doesn't help Albon but what you're gonna do...
It’s a moot point Sevach. Albon should have given a bit more room just as Hamilton did and backed out on the 1st lap. If he had, the results would have been different. As it stands, Hamilton finished 4th while Albon with zero points. So much about who had more to lose and gain.

It sucks, because in the end, both drivers deserved more today. Albon didnt deserve to finish without points (well in a way he did, because he initiated the move that put his car in a risky position, then turned into an understeering car that caused him to spin...) and Hamilton didnt deserve to finish 4th like this. Either way, Albon will learn from this and make him a better driver. He’ll need to be, if he wants to keep his drive.
Last edited by Phil on 05 Jul 2020, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

siskue2005

cplchanb wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:22
siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:14
DChemTech wrote:

no guts and no trust that drivers can obey double yellows. mag's car was at the back of the run off area. even russells car was completely off line and honestly they couldve just left it there. there was a 0.01 chance of hitting it unless somebody really wanted to
I am NOT talking about double yellow flags!
I was asking about VIRTUAL SAFETY CAR instead of FULL ON SAFETY CAR

siskue2005

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:28
siskue2005 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I’ve already brought that up those laying into Hamilton have just decided to ignore it though. Strange isn’t it!
Yup, indeed strange :|

sprint car76
sprint car76

Ham. on Albon when he passed him at the beginning of the race.

Sevach
Sevach

Phil wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:29
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:26
The whole pushing a guy wide is illegal, has been illegal forever, there's some tolerance/gray area to it(and yes the same Albon squeezed Hamilton on lap 1) what there isn't is a "well he took the risk" addendum to the rules.
But it is illegal to push someone wide if the car is far enough alongside, otherwise you might as well forbid overtaking around the outside.

Hamilton decided to wait, Albon went for it, and i think a penalty was fair, doesn't help Albon but what you're gonna do...
It’s a moot point Sevach. Albon should have given a bit more room just as Hamilton did and backed out on the 1st lap. If he had, the results would have been different. As it stands, Hamilton finished 4th while Albon with zero points. So much about who had more to lose and gain.

It sucks, because in the end, both drivers deserved more today. Albon didnt deserve to finish without points (well in a way he did, because he initiated the move that put his car in a risky position and caused him to spin...) and Hamilton didnt deserve to finish 4th like this. Either way, Albon will learn from this and make him a better driver. He’ll need to be, if he wants to keep his drive.
I don't agree with that for a single second.
Mistake was on Hamilton and he paid the fair price(it wasn't a huge mistake or dirty, just a small one).

McMika98
McMika98

Its time for a change of guard. The likes of Vettel and Hamilton are past it, full of misjudgement and errors. The new blood from F2 know how to race side by side with respect. Also they don't need the artificial DRS to overtake.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:31
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:28
siskue2005 wrote:

Yup, indeed strange :|
The LeClerc one was actually worse as he and Hamilton were actually on a straight when LeClerc gave Hamilton less room that Hamilton gave Albon today.