2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 12:59
El Scorchio wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 12:44
Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 11:50

I suspect they will revert to as it was before they did anything to 'cure' the tyre problem that had for one race and inflicted on them selves for another. I think they jumped to false assumptions and took drastic measures they did not need to. With their analytical record it would not suprise me if hey came to the same conclusion and just forgot about trying to fix a phantom. (well, I say forget, they will file it away and learn from it)
Exactly- it feels like the front left stresses were Silverstone specific and unlikely to be replicated in Barcelona, so no need for the preventative measures they took to try and remove that risk for the second race. I'm sure it won't be a boring procession with the two of them flying out front, but I would be surprised if they were as uncompetitive as last time out.
I think the problem transferred to rears as they 'migrated' the balance to save the fronts, which were OK (ish) anyway that damaged the rears. they may have created their own problem with strategy
Totally. They did say that. And with no similar risk to the fronts here like in Silverstone, they shouldn't need to take action.

Sieper

Let's see how it goes. Just a few more days and we have the next race. It is not only Mercedes that plays a role here. The other teams racing strategy will also play a role. I agree that Mercedes will likely not have such a huge tire problem anymore, how much pace will it cost (if at all that much) likely not enough and overtaking here is incredibly hard so qualifying out front and running the right tactic should enable a win.

F1Krof

This is getting ridiculous!

Wroom wroom

epo
epo

Will be interesting, we'll see if it shakes things up or not. Seems the Mercedes engine is not legal during qualification and most likely impossible to check? Or perhaps this is the Ferrari deal they made with the FIA allowing Mercedes to have something similar or even more advanced.
Last edited by epo on 13 Aug 2020, 15:47, edited 4 times in total.

dtro
dtro

F1Krof wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:28
This is getting ridiculous!

https://twitter.com/SomersF1/status/129 ... 87072?s=20
Agreed, not even guaranteed this will close the gaps down in a significant manner.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

There is no benefit to the sport, spectacle, or spectators To have different modes in qualifying. If a ban has even a one in one million chance of condensing the field, spicing up qualifying and giving more teams (most likely only redbull) a chance at taking some poles - DO IT YESTERDAY. Anyone opposed to this change has to be a Mercedes fan, there’s no other excuse.

F1Krof

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I gotta agree with this guy.
Wroom wroom

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Yes let’s punish a team and engine manufacturer for doing an amazing job.

How dare Mercedes do a good job. Who do they think the are. No problems though like when the banned Fric Mercedes will find a way and everybody else will continue but moan like hell.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:43
Seems the Mercedes engine is not legal during qualification
Really? That's some accusation.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1Krof

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:52

How dare Mercedes do a good job. Who do they think the are. No problems though like when the banned Fric Mercedes will find a way and everybody else will continue but moan like hell.
I would not be surprised if I see Mercedes calling quits.
Can Ferrari veto? I think they wouldn't since they'll be the ones who benefit the most I guess.
Wroom wroom

El Scorchio

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:43
Seems the Mercedes engine is not legal during qualification
Bold statement.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Restomaniac wrote:

That’s F1 baby. Remember when they changed the entire points system when Ferrari was dominating to make championships closer? Or when they banned tire changes during the race specifically to handicap Ferrari/Bridgestone’s advantage? Or when they banned the double diffuser? The blown diffuser? Fric? Etc etc.

If something is disproportionately benefiting one team, shouldn’t the rules or governing body intervene to tighten the pack again? F1 has always ebbed and flowed like this. It is ENTERTAINMENT at the end of the day, as confirmed by Liberty themselves.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:56
Restomaniac wrote:

That’s F1 baby. Remember when they changed the entire points system when Ferrari was dominating to make championships closer? Or when they banned tire changes during the race specifically to handicap Ferrari/Bridgestone’s advantage? Or when they banned the double diffuser? The blown diffuser? Fric? Etc etc.

If something is disproportionately benefiting one team, shouldn’t the rules or governing body intervene to tighten the pack again? F1 has always ebbed and flowed like this. It is ENTERTAINMENT at the end of the day, as confirmed by Liberty themselves.
That’s fine but DURING a season? That screams of crying babies who don’t like somebody else doing a far better job than them.

Sieper

Look at the long term development. Mercedes has made an enormous jump this winter. Back to 2016 dominance. And they smoke at very high torgue moments. The wording of the tweet implies other teams have made analysis of power output and have brought up questions at FIA. I already wondered how long that would take them, to present a case. The wording seems to point in that direction. More we will not get. Just like with Ferrari, everything behind close doors and then suddenly some brief update that leaves questions.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:00
JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:56
Restomaniac wrote:

That’s fine but DURING a season? That screams of crying babies who don’t like somebody else doing a far better job than them.
I hate this new culture of saying MERCEDES DID THE BEST JOB IF YOU QUESTION IT YOURE A SORE LOSER. Ya know what I’m here for? Some bloody good racing. Qualifying can be one of the most exciting parts of a race weekend. If this makes it closer and more competitive, it HAS to be a good thing right?

People defending Mercedes are the same as Apple fans who say THE IPHONE IS THE BEST BECAUSE IT SELLS SO WELL AND APPLE MAKES SO MUCH MONEY... that doesn’t make it an anymore compelling proposition to the consumer.

Mercedes is objectively the best. No one can take that away from them. But now can we get a good show please?