2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Racer X

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

Is McLaren bringing a new engine for Norris. Or will they use an older one? I'm wondering because surely* they will focus on taking a spot on the podium. As will Racing Point and Renault, but last race McLaren was slightly faster then the two.

I'm surprised Carlos isn't more competitive Norris is the better of the two so far.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

RZS10

If i'm not mistaken there's several versions of Portimão for Assetto, no? The one on racedepartment called "Algarve International Circuit" and some other ones that are just straight rips from other games like the "reboot" one ... which one are you all using?

NathanOlder

Racer X wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 10:05
Is McLaren bringing a new engine for Norris. Or will they use an older one? I'm wondering because surely* they will focus on taking a spot on the podium. As will Racing Point and Renault, but last race McLaren was slightly faster then the two.

I'm surprised Carlos isn't more competitive Norris is the better of the two so far.

Was the Mclaren faster ? In qualy it certainly wasnt, and in the race when Ric and Norris had clearly Leclerc, the gap was about 3.9 and over 5 laps dropped by 8 tenths. In that same time, Ocon went from 1.3 to 2.3 clear of Sainz. Then add to that at the end of the race, on equal tyres, Ricciardo ended up over 7 seconds ahead of Sainz in just 10 or 11 laps! I dont think Norris is 7 seconds faster than Sainz in 11 laps. 2 or 3 seconds at most surely ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

Racer X wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 10:05

I have Sainz as faster but with less luck. This is before the nose upgrade. It seems Sainz doesnt like the nose upgrade but he has traight of adjusting slowly. He will be back in front of Norris again soon.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LHamilton
LHamilton

I'm expecting the drivers who aren't in-tuned with their cars to struggle a bit in comparision to those who are, more so on this track than others due to the nature of some of the corners. Even Gutierrez on his preview lap mentioned the word 'tricky' on multiple corners, be it on braking, turning, the car becoming light or out of corners on traction.

And just about now from Ocon on Renaults twitter; "“From the outside it looks like a rollercoaster lap. I’ve driven it on my home simulator and it’s quite a challenge." - @OconEsteban"

So I wouldn't be suprised if we might see some people struggle a bit in practice. Turn four might be a place the odd driver might find themselves doing a little bit of a ballerina dance and have a spin.

Looking forward to practice. It might just be a little bit trickier than some expect.

Mogster

Unlike Imola and Mugello Portimão has extensive run off so getting it a bit wrong tends not to have serious consequences.

godlameroso

RZS10 wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 11:00
If i'm not mistaken there's several versions of Portimão for Assetto, no? The one on racedepartment called "Algarve International Circuit" and some other ones that are just straight rips from other games like the "reboot" one ... which one are you all using?
I use the ripped version, the one on race department is not very accurate. 8 is too easy on that version. The ripped version is also not accurate with the cambers, but by being more difficult than IRL makes up for the fact it's a game.
Saishū kōnā

Mogster

I have the RD version. I agree that compared to the Merc video it looks off. I think Portimao is one of those places that really benefits from a laser scan.

RZS10

I did not try the newer F1 cars but corner 4 was extremely tricky with the F138 on the RD version, total loss of grip on the rear for some reason, well because of the weird camber i guess

ispano6

Looks like race day will be 70F/21C but with a chance of rain. Track may be damp or have damp patches with a dry racing line. Saturday seems to be the least likely to have showers so qualifying may be the determining factor.

Racer X

ispano6 wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 22:43
Looks like race day will be 70F/21C but with a chance of rain. Track may be damp or have damp patches with a dry racing line. Saturday seems to be the least likely to have showers so qualifying may be the determining factor.
It will rain around the track but the track will be dry.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

godlameroso

LMAO! .08 inches of rain predicted for Sunday. You know how many mm that translates to?
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 23:12
LMAO! .08 inches of rain predicted for Sunday. You know how many mm that translates to?
about 2mm, so not much at all.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 23:32
godlameroso wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 23:12
about 2mm, so not much at all.
Brilliantly played, sir! =D> :lol:

P.S. I do find it funny to see people using decimal inches.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!