2021 Pecking order prediction

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Pecking order prediction

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 22:47
NathanOlder wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:46

It's also not just the peak figure but also what profile a PU can be run at. If they can run the engine at high output (aka Party Mode) for a longer period of time than an opponent then that would be more useful than the headline figure.
But they dont have party modes anymore with the ban ? So you run what you can in qualy/race? If a team is 10hp down in qualy, it will be the same in the race, no ?
Sorry, my point was if they have developed the engine so that the equivalent of Party Mode can be run for the whole race. That would be a serious step forward compared to a "we can hit this BHP figure on the dyno" but runs at a bit less for the race.
I'd bet part mode is well below what they can hit on the dyno.
197 104 103 7

dans79

Jambier wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 23:53
25 hp for Mercedes wow

If Ferrari has only 20, and Honda 15 it will be 2020 copycat season
It all depends if the increase is actually usable during the entire race, and for the duration of the PU's life span.
197 104 103 7

ispano6

Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:55
NathanOlder wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:13
Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 17:39

Well, only 25HP? Thats great news for Honda!! Lets party every race!! :D :wink:
So out of interest, and to be clear, how far behind were Honda last year ? and how much have they gained this year ?
I think everyone would like to know. Honda never releases precise numbers. 25 HP at Honda, however, is the average upgrade for a new spec throughout the season. In winter they make much bigger jumps, especially with this new engine.
By the way, HP is not the most important thing in an engine. There are also other things that make an engine faster.

Where exactly did the changes take place with the renewed power source?
" It seems as if enormous steps have been taken in the configuration of the combustion chamber that will benefit thermodynamic efficiency."

Electric problem solved.
"In addition, the electrical component of the engine has been extremely revised".
Tanabe said the RA621H has the largest year over year HP gain ever, so I expect a good gain, but it's when and where you use that power.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 23:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 22:47
NathanOlder wrote:

But they dont have party modes anymore with the ban ? So you run what you can in qualy/race? If a team is 10hp down in qualy, it will be the same in the race, no ?
Sorry, my point was if they have developed the engine so that the equivalent of Party Mode can be run for the whole race. That would be a serious step forward compared to a "we can hit this BHP figure on the dyno" but runs at a bit less for the race.
I'd bet part mode is well below what they can hit on the dyno.
Indeed so, but it's also well above what they ran for the races last year. If they can do it - and I have no idea - then in effect they would be running a qualifying engine for the race. That would be better than a high headline figure that can't actually be used.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JordanMugen

SirBastianVettel wrote:
Sevach wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:41
Hoping for a season where 4 teams have winning cars, afraid Mercedes will just bend everybody over again.
Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, and ......?
McLaren, Alpine and Aston Martin should all be contenders. AlphaTauri too. So that should be seven teams capable of winning Grands Prix. =D> :D

There is very little hype around Alpine. Maybe the Alpine will be much faster than expected? :?: As AlphaTauri was a winner in 2020, there is no reason they cannot win again with Pierre "Ace" Gasly returning to the cockpit. :D

haza
haza

Have to say it’s looking good for McLaren and redbull so far

Scorpaguy

Unless Bino has adopted Toto's paradigm of testing, things appear a bit bleak for Big Red.

...and Chico's facial expression seems VERY serious. Whether that is derived from confidence or contemplating the enrollment into the Gas/Alb school of resume' writing......time will tell.

the EDGE
the EDGE

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 04:41
SirBastianVettel wrote:
Sevach wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:41
Hoping for a season where 4 teams have winning cars, afraid Mercedes will just bend everybody over again.
Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, and ......?
McLaren, Alpine and Aston Martin should all be contenders. AlphaTauri too. So that should be seven teams capable of winning Grands Prix. =D> :D

There is very little hype around Alpine. Maybe the Alpine will be much faster than expected? :?: As AlphaTauri was a winner in 2020, there is no reason they cannot win again with Pierre "Ace" Gasly returning to the cockpit. :D
The Alphatauri win in 2020 was down to sheer dam luck, so yes, in that respects there’s every chance they or any other team could win again

Schuttelberg

Personally felt Charles looked to be driving a really heavy car and the balance seemed OK. Won't shock me if Ferrari are back up to 3rd.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Ted's Notebook at around 21: 57, George commented that "I do believe we've made a bit of a step forward, obviously it's all relative, from what I have understand a few teams have made a step backwards due to regulations change"

So it seems there is some inside information on a particular pattern emerging. Potentially talking about the low rake concept from Mercedes/Aston. But I would take this with a pitch of salt.

JPower
JPower

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 00:19
Personally felt Charles looked to be driving a really heavy car and the balance seemed OK. Won't shock me if Ferrari are back up to 3rd.
I didn't catch but apparently Sainz was on IG Live describing the day and said they were running high fuel for day 2.

I don't know about the entire package and its capabilities yet, but I do think they'll be in the mix as far as straightline speed this year. Maybe not as powerful as the Mercedes cars but it won't be embarrassing itself like the SF1000.

Schuttelberg

JPower wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 05:03
Schuttelberg wrote:
I didn't catch but apparently Sainz was on IG Live describing the day and said they were running high fuel for day 2.

I don't know about the entire package and its capabilities yet, but I do think they'll be in the mix as far as straightline speed this year. Maybe not as powerful as the Mercedes cars but it won't be embarrassing itself like the SF1000.
Yeah, I agree. I'm no tech expert but it did feel that the car was really heavy. I actually think contrary to popular belief the Aston is the last in the pecking order in the midfield.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

bosyber
bosyber

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 09:27
JPower wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 05:03
Schuttelberg wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I'm no tech expert but it did feel that the car was really heavy. I actually think contrary to popular belief the Aston is the last in the pecking order in the midfield.
I also seem to recall them being on old tyres a lot. Now, it never looked like a great car to drive, but old tyres and heavy fuel do tend to make it look more like that, so I'd expect them to be somewhere in rather crowded midfield, but not really at the front.

Tizz

bosyber
bosyber

I particularly like those uncertainty intervals - AM probably narrow bc. they did little running; Red Bull consistently solid, while others were either having issues, trying stuff or hiding pace a lot of the time. What did the authors base it on?