New race weekend format 2021

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: New race weekend format 2021

nzjrs wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 15:59
Argh! God damn it!
Indeed! Horrible! It's all about $$$$$$$$. Fans don't matter.

I will only watch the race on Sunday those weekends. The rest is boooooooring.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 16:13
nzjrs wrote:
Argh! God damn it!

I see this as short sighted. Without long term fans, it does not matter what the format if no one is watching it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AeroDynamic

I’m quite conflicted about this. I really like the spectacle of the weekend better when we have three competitive events of sport for each day.

What I don’t like is the quality of the spectacle that is the sprint. The only thing I like about it is the start, and it ramps up the competitiveness between the drivers potentially on the Sunday. They have a sample of how the run of play is going down, what’s at stake at each corner of the circuit. Every Sunday after Saturday qualifying, for the championship, made it more exciting for me.

But what about when there is no close championship? It will be a rinse repeat at the front more often.

I’m not sure about awarding points. Definitely sure they shouldn’t use sprint qualifying for pole in the history books.

The question is, if we have very race-able cars in the coming years, can sprint qualifying be good? Racing is racing, the reason this sprint grows stale after a couple laps is because of how difficult it is for the cars to follow? But again this all hinges on a competitive set of teams at the front that can fight for the win.

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 16:15
Wouter wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
Argh! God damn it!

I see this as short sighted. Without long term fans, it does not matter what the format if no one is watching it
I don't understand what you're trying to say, sorry.

I've been watching for decades and there was always a build-up in tension over the weekend. They completely remove that build-up of tension with those sprint races on Saturday. Why watch Friday and Saturday then?
Friday a short bland/meaningless FP, then hours later a qualifying session, which was always exciting on Saturday, but now means nothing and then a FP on Saturday morning that is completely useless, even the drivers say that!
And then watch a boring sprint race for half an hour in the afternoon, where everyone drives carefully, because nobody wants to crash.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 16:53
Big Tea wrote:
Wouter wrote:

I've been watching for decades and there was always a build-up in tension over the weekend. They completely remove that build-up of tension with those sprint races on Saturday. Why watch Friday and Saturday then?
Friday a short bland/meaningless FP, then hours later a qualifying session, which was always exciting on Saturday, but now means nothing and then a FP on Saturday morning that is completely useless, even the drivers say that!
And then watch a boring sprint race for half an hour in the afternoon, where everyone drives carefully, because nobody wants to crash.
It may well be just me, but I am not at all bothered if I watch the sprint or 'qualifying?? when it is this format, so I can only assume there are others that feel the same. This equates to 2 sessions I may or may not watch, where as I usually do all I can to watch Qualli live. There is no point watching the sprint or qualli once the result is known
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2021, 21:26
Wouter wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

It may well be just me, but I am not at all bothered if I watch the sprint or 'qualifying?? when it is this format, so I can only assume there are others that feel the same. This equates to 2 sessions I may or may not watch, where as I usually do all I can to watch Qualli live. There is no point watching the sprint or qualli once the result is known
Agree. What's the point in being invested to heavily in the one lap qualifying session if you know the result isn't really final, and what's the point in being excited about the sprint part if you know most of the cars are just going to hold position? The only potential excitement being either a poor or rocket start from someone, or a spin like Perez in Silverstone.

Traditional race weekends with only one lap qualifying are much more exciting to watch.

mclaren111

Wouter wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Spot On...