2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Partymood
Partymood

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

Wouter wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 16:31
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 16:00
Partymood wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 15:25
Wow... Just wow!

Just tell me, what about the direction in which Bahrain is represented? Or Monza? Or Spa? Just to mention a few. They are off by 90 degrees.
It is customary to put the start/finish line at the bottom. Go have a look and then come up with something funnier, please. 😁
I think it's the graphic designers at Formula 1's website that are the problem. Look at Silverstone, it doesn't put the start/finish line at the bottom, nor is it correctly oriented north/south.
I think they just rotate it until it fits in with what info they want to write around the circuit map.
Exactly what you say @ Just-a-fan! The discussion was about the fact that @MtthsMlw had put the card upside down and he doesn't have that at all!
No idea why @Partymood brought that up. "BTW, the track's map is upside down."
I brought it up because i had to take a double look when i opened the page as something seemed amiss, then i realized what it was. It just seemed strange, didn't want to start a trivial conversation. Guess i had too much time in my hands that day. But after Platinum's comment i went to have a look at other circuit and i've asked around. It seems that in the past it was indeed the costume to depicts circuits with the start finish line at the bottom. This is true for Silverstone too, even if it could fit in any direction. Have a good day ya all, cheers!

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 10:29
mclaren111 wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 09:28
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 22:25

"The harder I work, the luckier I become."

"Luck favors the prepared"
Indeed. Everyone thinks he's a playboy type driver but he does the hard yards in the background too. Bottas confirmed this a few years ago:
Speaking to Motorsport.tv’s weekly program The Flying Lap, Bottas said: “I always knew he was a good driver, but I never knew how much he works.

“He works hard, he spends a lot of time with the guys, at the race weekends, visits the factory quite a bit.
Or maybe he's "just so lucky!". :lol:
It's what the great ones do. They just turn up and make it look relatively 'effortless', so people assume they don't work for it behind the scenes.

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 13:42
Interesting one this. It's a no brainer that all UK domestic sport is rearranging it's plans for the weekend, but I am slightly surprised F1 is, especially given the race is in another country, although it is a lovely sign of respect.

Sieper

It's relatively easy to do since there will be no spectators on site and like you say, a nice gesture to make and I am sure a lot of watchers of the sport are UK residents.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 16:58
It's relatively easy to do since there will be no spectators on site and like you say, a nice gesture to make and I am sure a lot of watchers of the sport are UK residents.
Not to mention the staff of most of the teams!
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 17:09
Sieper wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 16:58
Not to mention the staff of most of the teams!
I think that's probably one of the considerations, although I doubt many of the teams' personnel will be taking time out to watch the event on TV. They'll all be too busy.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JPower
JPower

I'm not gambling man but if I was...I'd bet on Valtteri Sunday if the weather is nice. Crazy I know.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Well, in that case.. in observation of my protest, I am not watching this week :D

Zynerji

Checo wins for RBR with Lewis and Tsunoda on the podium.

My fantasy pick for the weekend!😍

PlatinumZealot

djos wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 04:56
Let’s leave imaginary friends out of formula one please!
Aaaaand you just commited the very same thing these rules are meant to prevent! Very nice! =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 05:03
djos wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 04:56
Let’s leave imaginary friends out of formula one please!
Aaaaand you just commited the very same thing these rules are meant to prevent! Very nice! =D>
You’re welcome. Last time I checked this was an engineering forum, not a place for theological discussions.
"In downforce we trust"

proteus

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 15:38
Wouter wrote:
Interesting one this. It's a no brainer that all UK domestic sport is rearranging it's plans for the weekend, but I am slightly surprised F1 is, especially given the race is in another country, although it is a lovely sign of respect.
There is one flaw - a red flag. If it happens, it can stretch qualifying well into the timeframe of burial ceremony.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

proteus wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 07:40
El Scorchio wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 15:38
Wouter wrote:
There is one flaw - a red flag. If it happens, it can stretch qualifying well into the timeframe of burial ceremony.
They will probably postpone the burial as they seem so interconnected and dependant of each other. #-o

Wouter

It was already known that it will be a cold race weekend, but I cannot hope that this will come true .... rain on Sunday.
According to Weerplaza, it starts to rain at night and that continues until +/- 5 p.m., alternated with some sun in the afternoon.
That would in any case mean starting on a wet track and then .... how long wet / dry / wet / dry?
Just let it stay dry. :wink:

The following sites are regularly updated.

https://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/Italy/Imola-Circuit. aspx?sday=4

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/nl/show_diagrams.php?geoid=740 34&model=gfs&var=93&run=06&lid=OP&bw=
The Power of Dreams!

mkay
mkay

From AMuS' preview:
Imola is one of the power tracks on the racing calendar. According to Mercedes, only two other racetracks show a higher percentage of full throttle this year. From the exit of the last corner to the first braking point before corner two, the engines run under full load for around 15 seconds. Anyone who has too little power here and drives with wings that are too big will be punished.
Interesting - I wasn't expecting this. Honda could further stretch its legs if Merc hasn't fixed its derating issues...
Red Bull's lead could be even bigger in Imola. The Italian route is smoother and faster than Bahrain. The fast changes of direction in the chicanes and the high-speed sequences in the middle sector should taste particularly good to the stable and predictable RB16B.
I think this is expected, unless Merc makes a sizeable jump in improving the W12 balance. AMuS also states no meaningful upgrades for RB/Merc, only package optimisation.