2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
User avatar
RZS10
229
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

Kinda...
especially since no party really knows what the others are doing and there's probably some distrust involved. Wings are quite straightforward compared to it since what is happening is very obvious and visible.

TimW
TimW
20
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

According to Aston Martin they were above starting pressure at all times and do not manipulate pressure in any way.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-pirelli/

User avatar
Stu
29
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 am
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

TimW wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 pm
According to Aston Martin they were above starting pressure at all times and do not manipulate pressure in any way.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-pirelli/
This is a strange statement, the wheel profiles, spokes, design, material and brake ‘drum’ design are all about trying to control/manipulate the tyre’s structural temperature, which has a large effect on the pressure. All of the teams are doing it to some degree.
Common sense is not as common as stupidity, but it is better to be uninformed than to be mis-informed...

TimW
TimW
20
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

Stu wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:27 pm
TimW wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 pm
According to Aston Martin they were above starting pressure at all times and do not manipulate pressure in any way.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-pirelli/
This is a strange statement, the wheel profiles, spokes, design, material and brake ‘drum’ design are all about trying to control/manipulate the tyre’s structural temperature, which has a large effect on the pressure. All of the teams are doing it to some degree.
Nothing strange about it. They control temperature yes, but that is common practice and Pirelli anticipates that. They state they do nothing additionally like manipulating air mixture, manipulating blanket temperature etc. And they state the pressure was above minimum pressure at all times during the race.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

Pirelli expected pressures to increase to 22 psi during the race. RedBull and AM pressures somehow did not increase as much. This is effectively a net pressure reduction by hidden means.
.. ... ... ... ...

User avatar
RZS10
229
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

Where did you get that number from?
This weekend they expect the pressures to increase by 1psi from 21.5 to 22.5 on the rears ... Baku was 20psi on the rears from Saturday onwards, did they really expect +2psi on a road circuit?

TimW
TimW
20
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

Where did Pirelli specify that teams shall use tire temperatures that increase pressure to 22 psi?

User avatar
RZS10
229
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

Nowhere ... ?

Jolle
Jolle
255
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

TimW wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 pm
Stu wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:27 pm
TimW wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 pm
According to Aston Martin they were above starting pressure at all times and do not manipulate pressure in any way.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... r-pirelli/
This is a strange statement, the wheel profiles, spokes, design, material and brake ‘drum’ design are all about trying to control/manipulate the tyre’s structural temperature, which has a large effect on the pressure. All of the teams are doing it to some degree.
Nothing strange about it. They control temperature yes, but that is common practice and Pirelli anticipates that. They state they do nothing additionally like manipulating air mixture, manipulating blanket temperature etc. And they state the pressure was above minimum pressure at all times during the race.
That is an easy thing to say be the way. When the tires are measured for their starting temps, they are relative cold. During the race the extra heat will get the pressure well above the starting temp.

Bit like Virenque always countered the questions during his Festina years: “did you use doping” with “I never tested positive”
Not soon after the team doctor was found with a load of doping of course.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:32 am
Where did you get that number from?
This weekend they expect the pressures to increase by 1psi from 21.5 to 22.5 on the rears ... Baku was 20psi on the rears from Saturday onwards, did they really expect +2psi on a road circuit?
Exactly... Now extrapolate that figure to racing temps.
Read the Pirelli interviews to understand why they do this.
.. ... ... ... ...

User avatar
RZS10
229
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

But that doesn't answer my question ... did Pirelli actually make that number public anywhere? Or is it your own conclusion based on ... ? something ?

Jolle
Jolle
255
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:54 am
But that doesn't answer my question ... did Pirelli actually make that number public anywhere? Or is it your own conclusion based on ... ? something ?
I guess the FIA website?

User avatar
RZS10
229
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

They only added the expected running pressures for France, those weren't there in the event notes for Baku, that's why i'm asking.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
528
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

RZS10 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:54 am
But that doesn't answer my question ... did Pirelli actually make that number public anywhere? Or is it your own conclusion based on ... ? something ?
Let's see your material and I'll show you mine.

My shirt's getting messy. Real messy.
.. ... ... ... ...

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw
76
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Post

I found this video does a good job of summing up the failings of race control under the direction of Michael Masi at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.