2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

I predict Russell qualifies P8, and gets his first point!

dans79

Mansell89 wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 18:50
Mercedes and Lewis have always been good here but they were poor at Monaco and Baku and I think they will struggle to beat Max around here this time unless the upgrades have unlocked the beast!
Don't forget Bottas was P2 in Monaco, and had a shot at P1 before the redflag in qualifying. I think it will come down to driver confidence in the car, and the tires being in the right window.

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 20:44
I don't know. We seem to be getting fed selected snippets on this. Max is young, but he has been racing a long time, and in series far more rough and tumble than F1.

I doubt he will be very much affected at all, its what he has done since he was a kid and part of his life.
I believe elements at Red Bull are making hay out of this while Max is being careful what to say, but it is business as usual for him
I think the line of thinking is that this was Max's first major accident., and that he will process it differently than he has minor accidents in the past.
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 15:40
Could do with a little rain. How's the weather shaping up so far?
Don't hold your breath, if you go, you'll likely be suffocating from the heat, so don't hold your breath :wink:
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

zibby43 wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 20:38
Curious to see how much more efficient the W12 is with a higher downforce package now that the upgrades are on.

Merc were able to run a tiny wing in Silverstone and still maintain good tire deg and cornering speeds.

As HungarianRacer said, the W11 was dominant in Hungary last year. Unlike Monaco and Baku, there are longer radius corners and more abrasive asphalt in Hungary.

Ferrari may be ahead of McLaren, but I think Merc and RBR will be clear in qualifying.
Ferrari is going to cause headaches for Mercedes around Hungary. It's much more battery friendly. The heat will help Ferrari get temperature in the front tires.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 15:40
Could do with a little rain. How's the weather shaping up so far?
Actually, I take it back, hot Friday, but a cold front moves in on Saturday, Sunday should be dry but cooler than Friday. Saturday could rain, but very little.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Mansell89 wrote:
Anyone expecting a strong Ferrari here? Given Monaco, and Baku, where high downforce seemed to play king, they had very strong pace and I expect them to be in the mix here in between Max, Lewis Bottas and Perez.

Mercedes and Lewis have always been good here but they were poor at Monaco and Baku and I think they will struggle to beat Max around here this time unless the upgrades have unlocked the beast!

Intriguing weekend in so many ways and then we will all simmer down for a summer break!
Difference between Monaco and Hungaroring is the latter gives plenty medium speed corners to get the tyres heated up. Difference between this place and Baku now, I reckon that there are not as many low speed traction like turns. So I am expecting a good performance from Mercedes here.

Agreed that Ferrari will be strong.

Perhaps a weak McLaren?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle
Jolle

Monaco and Baku have in common that they both don't use circuit grade asphalt but a normal (very slippery) road surface.

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:25
zibby43 wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 20:38
Curious to see how much more efficient the W12 is with a higher downforce package now that the upgrades are on.

Merc were able to run a tiny wing in Silverstone and still maintain good tire deg and cornering speeds.

As HungarianRacer said, the W11 was dominant in Hungary last year. Unlike Monaco and Baku, there are longer radius corners and more abrasive asphalt in Hungary.

Ferrari may be ahead of McLaren, but I think Merc and RBR will be clear in qualifying.
Ferrari is going to cause headaches for Mercedes around Hungary. It's much more battery friendly. The heat will help Ferrari get temperature in the front tires.
Silverstone showed Merc take a step forward and away from the midfield pack (Ferrari, McLaren) for the first time this season. Before, it was clear that the pack had come toward them and either got closer or sometimes ahead, based on the circuit.

With the way Lewis performs here on top of that, I expect the pole battle to be between Lewis and Max. Bottas is better than Perez in Hungary, too.

Bill
Bill

Max has lead 62% of the laps Lewis about 20% and at silverstone he was staring at the barrel of 6 straight
defeat .According to Aws the redbull and Merc has similar level of performance is just that Max get the best out of corners than merc drivers so if Jumbo wants to retain has wc he will have to dig deep than blame straight line speed merc took wing in siverstone to be fast in the straight but that wont be an option in Hungary

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 09:26
.According to Aws
I wouldn't put too much faith in that. They had Lewis with green for all his tyres, Max with orange or red for his, and yet Lewis had a line of blisters on his front tyres. That's just one example of AWS's "insights".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

Bill wrote:
Max has lead 62% of the laps Lewis about 20% and at silverstone he was staring at the barrel of 6 straight
defeat .According to Aws the redbull and Merc has similar level of performance is just that Max get the best out of corners than merc drivers so if Jumbo wants to retain has wc he will have to dig deep than blame straight line speed merc took wing in siverstone to be fast in the straight but that wont be an option in Hungary
"Jumbo"????
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

zibby43
zibby43

Carlos Sainz on Hungary:

“Budapest recently has become actually a medium to high speed track in these cars.”

“If you look at Monaco and Baku, there are second and third gear corners. Budapest nowadays with these crazily high downforce cars, you have a middle sector that you are in fourth, fifth gear all the time.

“So it’s not a pure low-speed track anymore like it used to be in the past. And I don’t think it’s going to be such a good track for us. I do think that is a great opportunity to be right behind the Red Bull and Mercedes.”

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

adrianjordan wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 10:23
Bill wrote:
"Jumbo"????
Yes! who is Jumbo?

Big Tea

Gettingonabit wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 11:04
adrianjordan wrote:
26 Jul 2021, 10:23
Bill wrote:
"Jumbo"????
Yes! who is Jumbo?
An elephant that died in a railway accident about 100 years ago
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Jul 2021, 23:33
Mansell89 wrote:
Anyone expecting a strong Ferrari here? Given Monaco, and Baku, where high downforce seemed to play king, they had very strong pace and I expect them to be in the mix here in between Max, Lewis Bottas and Perez.

Intriguing weekend in so many ways and then we will all simmer down for a summer break!
Difference between Monaco and Hungaroring is the latter gives plenty medium speed corners to get the tyres heated up. Difference between this place and Baku now, I reckon that there are not as many low speed traction like turns. So I am expecting a good performance from Mercedes here.

Agreed that Ferrari will be strong.

Perhaps a weak McLaren?

I put Lando in top 5 Quali spot... :D 8) :D